Cruising alone

Pirmir

NCL, Holland America, and Cunard are among the lines with single occupancy cabins on some of their ships.

And many of the upscale lines charge a much lower percentage of the fare as a single supplement than the typical 200%. Of course you are starting with a more inclusive (thus higher) price to begin with.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by fishywood

NCL, Holland America, and Cunard are among the lines with single occupancy cabins on some of their ships.

And many of the upscale lines charge a much lower percentage of the fare as a single supplement than the typical 200%. Of course you are starting with a more inclusive (thus higher) price to begin with.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I also am a n older female and have sailed twice since I lost my DH. I sailed with friends but we each had our own cab ins and that 200% solo fare is irksome , (at best) I really dont' think I would b e happy sharing a ca bin so it is solo fares if I am to continue sailing.

You just have to realize the PRICE OF A CABIN is double the "per person" price. If you get that into your head, it's the price of a cabin for 1 OR 2!

Not necessarily - depending upon how the sailing is selling, the single supplement can be anywhere from 25% to 100% of the per person charge.

If you look at it positively, rather than negatively, if the line charges just a 50% supplement (150%) of quoted fare, you will realize that, if you are sailing alone, they are actually giving you a DISCOUNT of 25% of what they would ordinarily charge for the cabin.

Every ship charges a premium, even if they don't add a supplement afterwards. Even solo cabins are priced higher - they just bundle it into the cost of the tiny, interior cabin.

There are ways to pay less than double though......look for sales, or find a line that regularly charges less than double for solo passengers (like Crystal).

Every ship charges a premium, even if they don't add a supplement afterwards. Even solo cabins are priced higher - they just bundle it into the cost of the tiny, interior cabin.

Yeah, I had a studio cabin on NCL Escape, and while it was cheaper than paying double for an inside, it was still more than the price for one. I think it's like 150%, maybe a bit less. Of course, you also get the lounge and the meet-ups and so on.

I thought I saw some ships (P&O?) that had solo cabins at 100%. Maybe I dreamed it. I remember going on the site to search for them and finding them utterly unavailable, forever. So I guess if there is such a deal out there, people will take advantage of it, even booking it while on a previous cruise so that it's never available to anyone else. :-)

It's a bit like being a tall person that has to pay extra for a better airplane seat, I guess. There's nothing you can really do about it, and there's not much that the suppliers can do and still keep everything manageable.

I look at a daily price and if it is something that I can do. If I were to go on a land vacation, what would I pay for a hotel room, food, and entertainment. Most of the time, it comes out to be much less for a cruise.

Sometimes an exotic location may push me over my max, but if it’s somewhere I want to go, I pay it. I have cruised solo for 8 years, and I absolutely love it.

I travel on Voyages to Antiquity and get a good solo deal. I'm also checking out airlines that have fly/cruise deals that often give a solo traveller a very good rate. I'm Canadian so ouch when it comes to paying in $USD but I got a Cuba cruise deal of flights/ 7 day cruise with free drinks, tips paid and 4 excursions for $1600. CDN.

River cruises often have solo deals but not for balcony cabins.

Be wary of 'solo' cabins on some ships - I've gotten a better deal on HAL for a regular window cabin than a solo one. Solo cabins are often not well located.

Good Luck and calm seas - Shar

Edited by Ontariotrekker
flyng wizard.

No Cave for this solo sailor, I want my verandah and will have it :)
I can understand your love affair with a Veranda cabin, as my last two cruses with my mother were on that type of cabin. But, because I'm paying for two passengers this round, my budget says Inside Cave.