Bringing a small fan on board?

kren250

I sleep at night with a fan going, not only for air circulation but also as background/white noise.

I'm taking my first cruise on NCL, and I've come across a few posts of people mentioning they've had electrical fans taken away from them upon boarding. Would I be better off buying a battery-operated fan, and bringing that? It would be a small table fan; not a large floor fan :-). As long as it makes noise and pushes the air around a bit, I think I'll be fine.

Don't count on them having a fan for you. I always bring a small, 5 in desk fan and an extension cord, as I need it by the bed for air at night (hot flashes!). I don't care about the noise...mine is fairly quiet, but it does give me the breeze I need! If you only need noise, there are apps on your phone you can download and use for "white noise".

We always bring a fan for each nightstand but recently I read that RC wasn’t allowing ANY extension cords, not jus the kind with surge protectors or the multi-outlet bars. We always carry brown cords that have the little ends with 3 outlets but I read that this is now a no no. I sure hope not.

We always bring a fan for each nightstand but recently I read that RC wasn’t allowing ANY extension cords, not jus the kind with surge protectors or the multi-outlet bars. We always carry brown cords that have the little ends with 3 outlets but I read that this is now a no no. I sure hope not.

Surge protectors are never permitted.

Any cruise line has the right to inspect and/or remove any electrical equipment brought aboard by passengers, due to potential fire hazards. As mentioned surge protectors are definitely not permitted.

While bringing a fan might be acceptable, you may want to check with your cruise line if they are permitted and if so, do they require any specific approval.

I guess my mention of surge protectors gave the wrong impression. Yes they are, and have always been in my 25 years of cruising, not allowed. My point was that I had recently heard that ordinary extension cords have been outlawed as well. We have carried small electric fans and ordinary extension cords aboard 5 different cruise lines for years with absolutely no problem. I really hope that some RC person didn’t hit their head or get drunk and come to and decide that something that has been perfectly safe and effective for years is now somehow dangerous. That, however, may be asking too much. Common sense it seems is on the decline.

Edited by lifes-a-beach

I'm bringing 2 small USB powered fans for the night tables and long USB extension wires to connect to the multi port USB charger I use to charge all our phones, gadgets and spare batteries.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I sleep at night with a fan going, not only for air circulation but also as background/white noise.

I'm taking my first cruise on NCL, and I've come across a few posts of people mentioning they've had electrical fans taken away from them upon boarding. Would I be better off buying a battery-operated fan, and bringing that? It would be a small table fan; not a large floor fan :-). As long as it makes noise and pushes the air around a bit, I think I'll be fine.

I took battery powered fans on a recent HAL cruise. Worked like a champ. Lasted 7 nights and still had battery power and it didnt take up any outlets to boot!

Hi. As yours is an NCL cruise, you may want to also post on that board. Chances are the answers will be similar, but at least you will have narrowed down the response field.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

There is a so the search option for the Boards, so you may find some pre-existing responses.

Thanks for the replies :-).

I think I'll plan on bringing a battery operated fan; hopefully, I won't have to worry about it being confiscated!

I'll also download the fan app as a backup...just in case the fan would end up broken or something.