Has A Princess Captain Joined You or Invited You to Dinner at His Table?

need2cruisesoon

We have sat with the deputy captain on the original Sky Princess, we went to his quarters for drinks on the final night. We were having such fun. When they rang the bells for dinner we started to get up. He said no rush we looked at him and he said trust me we will be served. He went on to captain the QE2 and the Queen Mary 2.

Was that Commodore Warwick?

We sailed with him on QEII and again when he came out of retirement to command QM2. A most interesting man. We had lunch with him and his lovely wife on QM2.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Around 15 years ago, on a small Princess Ship (I’ll withhold the names to protect the guilty, lol). I went to the Maitre D’ to ask for a different table (stuffy boring table mates ), He smiled and said, I have a great table for you.

Next night we were seated at the Staff Captains table, who was traveling with his (much older) wife. It was a ton of fun, service and special treats were off the charts (on the nights they came). The six of us “normies” were even invited to the bridge while sailing into a small port. The Staff Captain was a huge flirt, it did not take long to figure out that we got that table because I was the youngest female passenger on board lol!

It is quite common for the Captain and other senior officers not to shake hands at functions, for health reasons. Usually there is a sign to that effect at the entrance to the function.

I fully understand the health issue and that I would understand. This Captain was slightly miffed that we had replaced a friend (lady) of his as MTP. He could barely say "Hello' at any of the three cruise MTP functions; Very standoffish at the MTP award ceremony and refused even a "fist bump". With all our time with the Staff Captain and his wife, we were told that this particular Captain "did not play well with others". So we were not the only ones:(

We have seen a Princess captain eat dinner in the Horizon Court a couple of evenings on one cruise. He ate alone. Passengers were thoughtful enough to let him dine in peace.

We have never had dinner with the captain but we did have breakfast with him ---sort of---in Sabatini's on a couple of mornings. Actually, the captain was eating with his brother and sister-in-law at an adjacent table but he did nod in our direction when he sat down.

Just curious but what has your experience been when being entertained for dinner with the ships Captain?

Are Suite passengers given the option?

We were on Azamara many years ago in a Suite and were invited to a special dinner with the Captain along with other suite guests.

Done it on Celebrity and Royal, but never on any of our 4 Princess cruises. They were fun the first time when formal night was more formal.