Feeling "Welcome" on the World?

KatWag

Resale means nada zip...... If you are looking at this as an investment hard to resell sort of like a timeshare as far as resale value. It is like buying prints as art they are great to own and look at but no profit made at resale. The units are hard to sell and stay on the market long that is why some are rented to try to recapture investment as well as ones not in use while others are not using the unit they purchased. The value goes down as the ship ages.

Big question for you to ponder over till next time.

Why aren't there more condo ships? Only one other trying to make a go of it now. The others who tried it failed early on in the process. Investment verses return and risk by lenders for such an investment. Also limited demand from the targeted consumer group of interest.

There is an investment group will did the info up who purchased a old ship not luxury and converted it into a retirement condo project in FL near the Port near Orlando. It docks port side plan is o have it make short trips every month around FL cost then 1 or 2 1 or 2 week cruises to the Caribbean and places further south. Pricing is if the thing is selling at all $150,000.00 small unit just normal sized small cruise ship berth up to the largest $380,000.00 as I recall. Meals included like most retirement facilities 2 a day I think. Maintenance was $30,0000.00 something a year including the meals. 1 week time share a couple blocks away included and use of a swimming pool walkable on land non on the ship.

Got to run

Good question. I think it's just so expensive to do it right and the market for it is limited. I think Four Seasons and perhaps another venture were planning ships that were more like a fractional version of The World. I think when the economy gets stronger there could be a demand for something like that. Right now there's a major surplus of deluxe fractionals. The ship you've described in FL doesn't sound appealing at all to me. $30,000 maintenance per year including food... that's almost scary sounding.

Have some more thoughts but sort of between some paper work so will write more tomorrow. I booked a Windstar cruise for November Trans Atlantic on Wind Surf 2 weeks Lisbon - Barbados will be traveling with 3 cousins. Have not cruised Windstar before but like the idea of a 300 passenger ship and the sails even though mainly run on the engine sort of intrigues me plus the reviews talk about awesome service and good food.

Have a couple dates in mind for The World after January for my test drive.

• 3 months later...

We have been so fortunate to sail 5 times, and always felt so welcome. Every time we go back the staff coming running to say hello and remember us, it is a really nice feeling. We have always planned out trip with a least another couple, parties of 4 - 11, and I will be putting together another group for next year, everyone wants to return.

• 5 months later...

My brother owns a 2 bedroom unit about every other year we join him for 2 or 3 months. We looked into purchasing a unit but decided the expense verses use was not worth the expense plus we prefer varying vacation destinations and not being tied to a cruise ship schedule destination wise. We do have the luxury of every other year on The World which is about the right amount of time for me and my wife. We enjoy being with my brother and his wife. It's the time together that makes the cruise special not the fact it's the The World. The World is nice it alone does not make the vacation. It helps but is only part of the whole experience.

Purely economics for all involved recapture ones investment. Even the owners who rent units out when not in use.The investment even for us well to do folks still must make sense on the balance sheet. If you have the dollars to step foot on The World you are welcome on The World they do not check on your niceness or social skills or other attributes.

Like most condo living situations it is a private residence other then sea days which are scattered through out more days are in port your in little contact with others on board. It tends to not be a social club environment. My brother knows a couple others on board and we dinned 2 times in the 5 or 6 times we have been on The World with others who own units. He did not know them as in close friend's but just being social and keeping up relations with others on board.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I wanted to share my experience on the world as a renter.

I went on an "expedition" trip on the World a few years ago when I was 24, travelling with my father.

The accommodations, food, and facilities were all top notch. The service is AMAZING.

But the people were a mixed bag. Some were welcoming, some were downright hostile. A few notes:

- we had a half dozen research scientists we had aboard with us giving lectures, which was fantastic. However, one told me they were forbidden to discuss climate change because the owners had taken a vote and decided they didn't believe in it. It seemed extremely odd to instruct scientists on what is and is not true, but oh well - they own the ship, so their rules.

- some owners were just flat-out terrible to me. once when i was sitting in a common space writing email quietly, a lady walked up to me, slammed my laptop shut on my fingers, and chewed me out for typing in a common space. Apparently the keys made a noise that was bothering her. I don't understand why she had to be violent instead of just asking me to go elsewhere... as others mention, it's a big ship. I guess my presence "in her home" (her words) was so aggravating that she couldn't control her actions.

- different areas of the ship have different dress codes, but on expedition these are all somewhat relaxed because of the need to wear serious gear all day. the restaurant staff all knew about this and were fine with my lack of black tie attire (wearing a simple, modest dress instead), but some of the residents took it upon themselves to try to send me "back to change" before dinner because I didn't meet the usual non-expedition dress code. (I only had what I brought, and I packed for the expedition dress code communicated by the ship.)

- Overall I felt like many of the older residents felt it was ok to discipline me as if I was their 5 year old, which became very stressful. I'm a successful professional in my own right, and I'm not loud or crude... it hurt, and added to my sense of social isolation.

- There was an amazing group of people my age from all over the world onboard, serving as staff and crew. However, they were banned from interacting with residents and guests. I managed to hang out a few times for short periods of time and they were friendly and interested in talking, but they were always worried about being punished. I wasn't allowed to go below decks to their common areas, which would have been such a respite from the stodgy, cranky folks above.

- Not everyone was stodgy or cranky. We made friends with some other renters and ate meals together, and a few owners were quite welcoming. But overall, it was a very strange social experience. I wouldn't rent again.

• Like 1

I think I would have filed a major complaint, possibly criminal charges against the woman who slammed your computer on your fingers. Sorry to hear the residents seemed less than welcoming. I have never experienced anything like that on board but then I am not really there to socialize.

• 4 weeks later...

- some owners were just flat-out terrible to me. once when i was sitting in a common space writing email quietly, a lady walked up to me, slammed my laptop shut on my fingers, and chewed me out for typing in a common space. Apparently the keys made a noise that was bothering her. I don't understand why she had to be violent instead of just asking me to go elsewhere... as others mention, it's a big ship. I guess my presence "in her home" (her words) was so aggravating that she couldn't control her actions.

She wasn't a large Australian lady was she? Would not surprise me if Australia's (the world's?) richest woman who owns an apartment or two on The World would behave as you described.

We are extremely lucky to have a friend with an apartment on The World and we will be joining the ship for a few weeks next year. We're both a little trepidous about how we will be treated but whatever happens happens. Possibly as we will be travelling as the guests of an owner and not renting we might be more welcome. No matter, it will be an experience we will never forget.

Edited by newfarmers

• 2 weeks later...

We were tempted to buy on the World but were told that we would not be happy because we were too young and the elders would not accept us.

If someone slammed a computer on my finger and I was an owner, she would be off in the next port as I would press charges. How rude of her. Real class act....NOT.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

You should be very excited. What a fabulous itinerary from Papeete! I don't think you'll have any problem with the natives onshore or onboard. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time on The World and had no problem making acquaintance with owners and pax.

• 3 months later...
and we'll be boarding The World in Papeete. We're both started to get very excited and very freaked out, at the same time!

Been reading your blog. Great stories and pictures....

Edited by FireEater

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Three months and we'll be in the air and on our way to Reykjavik to join the The World for the East Greenland Expedition. Very, very excited to have another opportunity to spend another few weeks on The World.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

For the first time, we've decided to put together a corporate profile on The World of ResidenSea. I'll send out the link once it goes live.

And for the record, Cruise Critic has asked if we can get onboard to review the ship. So far, our request has been denied. So if anyone has a lovely friend who wants to "donate" a week so we can check it out, let us know! :D

• Like 1

Thanks Chris. I was just noticing there were no official reviews. For a quick look around owners can invite guests aboard while in port but I am not sure for those who are just renting.

It sounds like there are a few other ships in the works that will be similar.

Is there a plan to have a board for any of the major luxury charter operators like the Moorings?

For the first time, we've decided to put together a corporate profile on The World of ResidenSea. I'll send out the link once it goes live.

And for the record, Cruise Critic has asked if we can get onboard to review the ship. So far, our request has been denied. So if anyone has a lovely friend who wants to "donate" a week so we can check it out, let us know! :D

Hehe, I'll ask Chris. We're meeting our friend before we board in Iceland. I'm not sure that I'd be holding my breath though :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...