Cruise line excursion to Peggy's Cove

Ali70

Hi there Bitterman---- we were just thinking of going on the Intimate Look at Acadia National Park and came across your comments about it. I see where you say it was disappointing (i.e.just driving around ---and I wondered whether we would have the same opinion) In your opinion, while you were driving around is it a lot of repetitious sights (i.e. trees, coastline) or was there enough in the way of scenery to keep one interested albeit from the view out the window? I'm trying to choose between this excursion and the Bar Harbor and Cadillac Mountain (about 1/2 the time and just goes through Bar Harbor and up to the top of the mountain) Thank you so very much---really appreciate your time

Hi McFins! Be glad to share our experience! It was literally our driver/guides first day on the job. I think his name was Larry. There was also a rep from the tour company onboard to help out and provide guidance, etc. They were both very nice. We were on a small bus that holds maybe 18 people or so. The bus itself was new and comfortable with big windows to look out of. Big windows are a good thing as you'll spend most of the tour on the bus, lol.

We first made our way up to Cadillac mountain. It was very crowded and then we had to squeeze a small bus into a car parking spot. We were only allowed 20 minutes off the bus, literally. They told us the park doesn't like them parking there for longer than that. While I get that it also made everyone feel rushed. I literally ran around the top of Cadillac mountain snapping as many pictures as I could so we would have some memories...since we didn't have the time there to relax and enjoy the views. I could have easily spent a couple hours up there walking around the trails and just enjoying the views.

We then headed down to Thunder Hole. Again, crowded and we had to park a small bus in a car parking spot. Also, we were again told that we could only spend 15-20 minutes off the bus to check out Thunder Hole. We had bad luck and got there at very low tide. So low that Thunder Hole was not thundering. It wasn't even wheezing, lol. Obviously this was not the tour companies fault.

After Thunder Hole we started heading back to Bar Harbor and heard stories of the rich and famous people that live there (Martha Stewart for example) and saw some mansions, etc., from a distance.

You really spend most of this tour looking out the bus windows. I certainly wouldn't call it "an intimate look at Acadia National Park." There are some good views for sure, especially if you've never been to the area before, but I don't know if that makes up for the lack of time at Cadillac Mt. or Thunder Hole. Personally I would not do this tour again if we cruised to Bar Harbor again.

Hope this helps!

Doug

Hi McFins! Be glad to share our experience! It was literally our driver/guides first day on the job. I think his name was Larry. There was also a rep from the tour company onboard to help out and provide guidance, etc. They were both very nice. We were on a small bus that holds maybe 18 people or so. The bus itself was new and comfortable with big windows to look out of. Big windows are a good thing as you'll spend most of the tour on the bus, lol.

We first made our way up to Cadillac mountain. It was very crowded and then we had to squeeze a small bus into a car parking spot. We were only allowed 20 minutes off the bus, literally. They told us the park doesn't like them parking there for longer than that. While I get that it also made everyone feel rushed. I literally ran around the top of Cadillac mountain snapping as many pictures as I could so we would have some memories...since we didn't have the time there to relax and enjoy the views. I could have easily spent a couple hours up there walking around the trails and just enjoying the views.

We then headed down to Thunder Hole. Again, crowded and we had to park a small bus in a car parking spot. Also, we were again told that we could only spend 15-20 minutes off the bus to check out Thunder Hole. We had bad luck and got there at very low tide. So low that Thunder Hole was not thundering. It wasn't even wheezing, lol. Obviously this was not the tour companies fault.

After Thunder Hole we started heading back to Bar Harbor and heard stories of the rich and famous people that live there (Martha Stewart for example) and saw some mansions, etc., from a distance.

You really spend most of this tour looking out the bus windows. I certainly wouldn't call it "an intimate look at Acadia National Park." There are some good views for sure, especially if you've never been to the area before, but I don't know if that makes up for the lack of time at Cadillac Mt. or Thunder Hole. Personally I would not do this tour again if we cruised to Bar Harbor again.

Hope this helps!

Doug

Thank you so much. Really appreciate the insight. We decided to try the brief Bar Harbor -Cadillac Mt tour in the morning and then will have the rest of the day to explore as we wish. Thanks again!

Thank you so much. Really appreciate the insight. We decided to try the brief Bar Harbor -Cadillac Mt tour in the morning and then will have the rest of the day to explore as we wish. Thanks again!
Some beautiful views at the top of Cadillac Mountain! Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Or Bar Harbor excursion was a disappointment. "An Intimate Look at Acadia National Park". We got a rushed 20 minutes at the top of Cadillac Mountain and a rushed 15-20 at the Thunder hole. The rest was just driving around listening to stories from the guide. It was a little disappointing.

I'm going to disagree. This tour was VERY disappointing. A lot of driving and VERY rushed atop Cadillac Mountain. One of the worst excursions I've ever taken.

I'm going to disagree. This tour was VERY disappointing. A lot of driving and VERY rushed atop Cadillac Mountain. One of the worst excursions I've ever taken.
Yeah, it was pretty bad. As I said in other reviews I would not recommend it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk