Perscription Medication at Customs

rgmacm

When traveling we like to put prescription medications in those pill containers - compartments for each day or time of day - It makes taking meds SO much easier. However, when going through Customs would that be unwise? Do we need to keep them in their original bottles? Is there a 'rule' on this?

I've never had an issue with that in the US or abroad. But I don't have a bucket of controlled meds and keep my Ambien in its original container since I don't take it daily.

Some people recommend taking copies of your Rx's, I don't bother with that and could always load up my pharmacy website in the worst case.

For chronic pain meds, I'd take original bottles and load my pill organizer with those on arrival.

If you dig around in FAQs on US CBP/TSA site, you'll find that it's actually recommended - but not required - to keep pills in original containers. Personally since my pills increased to enough different ones daily to make the weekly containers way more practical, I do bring them across US border this way - but with a copy of my Rx (not just in case CBP ask about them, but also in case I have any delays/issues/thefts/loss of pills and need to get a new scrip filled). It's a low risk but an even lower hassle factor since my pharmacist always gives me multiple copies anyway.

Biggest issue you'll face is that different countries have different rules - and not just about packaging. Even if you have legally-prescribed meds, these may be illegal somewhere you plan to visit! Don't leave this to chance - check carefully for all your meds in all your destinations. Very innocuous stuff can be against the law some places - e.g. paracetamol/acetaminophen in Greece is very tightly controlled but you can buy bucketloads in Target off the shelf!

If I ever thought there would be an issue I would bring the sheet(s) the pharmacist prints out with the prescription fill. Often there is a whole sheet of little "tabs" for the prescription details so I could cut them out to save a little space. Not a copy of the prescription but at least the details. Nobody is going to care about HBP or Type 2 D pills but could be an issue for pain meds. We've never even been checked after a cruise - even in Europe.

No one at USA customs ever asks about prescription meds!

Your pill container is just fine.

The only people that customs cares about are those who are buying large quantities in foreign countries who may be selling them back home.

No one at USA customs ever asks about prescription meds!

Your pill container is just fine.

The only people that customs cares about are those who are buying large quantities in foreign countries who may be selling them back home.

In Canada and many European contrives you can be prescribed medical marijuana or other cannabis based medications. Even with a prescription issued by a doctor and dispensed by a pharmacist you will have problems entering the US with these types of medications.

In Canada and many European contrives you can be prescribed medical marijuana or other cannabis based medications. Even with a prescription issued by a doctor and dispensed by a pharmacist you will have problems entering the US with these types of medications.

Including moving from state to state.

I was shocked about Japan and the rules there. I don't think many of my drugs would pass.

• 1 month later...

As stated, customs is not this issue. For California, and many other states, ANY PRESCRIBED MEDS ARE TO BE IN ORIGINAL CONTAINER WITH PATIENTS INFO LEGIBLE. So, if your taking aspirin in your pocket, no problem. Oxi would be a totally different story. Common sense is your answer.

• 3 weeks later...
Who has a copy of a prescription these days? They are all electronically sent to the pharmacy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not a copy of the RX itself, but a copy of the bottle label.

Even though an RX is sent electronically to pharmacy, many pharmacies include copy of label on paperwork when you pick up the meds.

Anyone who has their meds mailed to them has a copy of the label included with the paperwork.

This includes thousands of V.A. veterans. My husband gets his meds from V.A. and a copy of the label is always included.

For chronic pain meds, I'd take original bottles and load my pill organizer with those on arrival.

Agreed; I do this as well. Takes only a few minutes the first day and you're done. :)

No one at USA customs ever asks about prescription meds! Your pill container is just fine...

Well, just because no one has ever asked you does not mean it will never happen or hasn't happened to others. I feel it is wise to be cautious and organized. I have read on these boards more than once about TSA agents who were a little over-zealous. One member here tells the story of an agent dumping her elderly mother's pills out all over the counter. Disgusting. That was enough for me to always keep my meds in their labelled containers (and yes, I know the agents could argue the contents but that's probably highly unlikely).

"Well, just because no one has ever asked you does not mean it will never happen or hasn't happened to others. I feel it is wise to be cautious and organized. I have read on these boards more than once about TSA agents who were a little over-zealous. One member here tells the story of an agent dumping her elderly mother's pills out all over the counter. Disgusting. That was enough for me to always keep my meds in their labelled containers (and yes, I know the agents could argue the contents but that's probably highly unlikely)."

People do believe everything they read on the internet.

Since you believe it is true could you tell us the airport and the name of the TSA agent?

"Well, just because no one has ever asked you does not mean it will never happen or hasn't happened to others. I feel it is wise to be cautious and organized. I have read on these boards more than once about TSA agents who were a little over-zealous. One member here tells the story of an agent dumping her elderly mother's pills out all over the counter. Disgusting. That was enough for me to always keep my meds in their labelled containers (and yes, I know the agents could argue the contents but that's probably highly unlikely)."

People do believe everything they read on the internet.

Since you believe it is true could you tell us the airport and the name of the TSA agent?

I also recall that story - and given many of the well-documented cases of TSA agents going well beyond their mandates I'd be more surprised that the story did NOT happen than that it DID!

From personal experience I've been asked about my pills by CBP at the border on a land-crossing. Since we make that crossing many times and recognise several of the regular agents I can even tell you it was April 2016 and Officer Johnson - as soon as I said that I had a copy of the scrip I could hand him, he stopped asking about immigration/customs stuff and instead wanted to know my opinion on where he could get the best donuts on his upcoming Portland weekend, so it was one of our more memorable crossings (and in case you ever visit, while I still favour Blue Star he enjoyed Pips the best - very old school).

If I had not been carrying the scrip it's possible I'd have had to go inside for the full shakedown - despite our Trusted Traveler status and at least 10+ trips each year we still get flagged for a random 'ask something very specific to see if it flummoxes us' question (one guy asked us what we pay in rent, the cheeky monkey).

I also recall that story - and given many of the well-documented cases of TSA agents going well beyond their mandates I'd be more surprised that the story did NOT happen than that it DID!...

Thanks, martincath. I do know we are going back a few years, and although she was and is a trusted member here, her name escapes me. I do believe her. She said her elderly mother was very shaken and rattled and I guess that always stuck with me.

Donray, you can blame it on my "chemo brain" if you want. I do not recall things easily these days, I'm afraid.

Thanks, martincath. I do know we are going back a few years, and although she was and is a trusted member here, her name escapes me. I do believe her. She said her elderly mother was very shaken and rattled and I guess that always stuck with me.

Donray, you can blame it on my "chemo brain" if you want. I do not recall things easily these days, I'm afraid.

Again, do you believe everything you read on the internet?

I just combine my prescriptions together in one or two bottles, my insurance company wants me to get 3 months of supplies at a time. An I have schedule II prescriptions, and have never had a issue. Only time I ever did was going to six flags and they went through my bag and saw a pill in a container. Basically told them I take if my back starts to hurt going down the water slides. If it doesn't then I don't.

What a friend recommended to me, and I do now for all my trips is take a picture of the latest prescription bottles. With all prescription information visible, and that is usually enough.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

As stated, customs is not this issue. For California, and many other states, ANY PRESCRIBED MEDS ARE TO BE IN ORIGINAL CONTAINER WITH PATIENTS INFO LEGIBLE. So, if your taking aspirin in your pocket, no problem. Oxi would be a totally different story. Common sense is your answer.

Unless I am misinformed, the only California health and safety laws regarding repackaging one's prescribed medications refers only to care facilities' need to maintain patient/resident meds in the original containers.

Please cite the law of which you speak.

Unless I am misinformed, the only California health and safety laws regarding repackaging one's prescribed medications refers only to care facilities' need to maintain patient/resident meds in the original containers.

Please cite the law of which you speak.

My meds’ are supplied in what are known in the U.K. as dosset boxes, clear plastic containers with all the pills dispensed for a weeks supply. Each box comes with a copy of my prescription. I really can’t see why any country in the world would have a problem with this?

I’ve only had the meds for a few months as a result of a quadruple heart bypass, so apart from a week in Tenerife last week I haven’t yet travelled anywhere but will be in December when we are doing the Milennium SE Asia cruise from Singapore to Honk Kong. Maybe I’m being too simplistic?

My meds’ are supplied in what are known in the U.K. as dosset boxes, clear plastic containers with all the pills dispensed for a weeks supply. Each box comes with a copy of my prescription. I really can’t see why any country in the world would have a problem with this?

I’ve only had the meds for a few months as a result of a quadruple heart bypass, so apart from a week in Tenerife last week I haven’t yet travelled anywhere but will be in December when we are doing the Milennium SE Asia cruise from Singapore to Honk Kong. Maybe I’m being too simplistic?

There are various mail order services in the US that package daily doses qualified as "original containers".

I was asking about what law in the State of California (suggested in an earlier post) requires travelers to keep ALL prescribed meds (regardless of status as a "controlled substance") in containers dispensed at a pharmacy (or via mail order packaging described above). I've never heard of any such "legal requirement."

There are various mail order services in the US that package daily doses qualified as "original containers".

I was asking about what law in the State of California (suggested in an earlier post) requires travelers to keep ALL prescribed meds (regardless of status as a "controlled substance") in containers dispensed at a pharmacy (or via mail order packaging described above). I've never heard of any such "legal requirement."

In the U.K. we don’t have mail order for prescriptions. They are dispensed by Pharmacists governed by our NHS. Maybe that’s the difference.

In the U.K. we don’t have mail order for prescriptions. They are dispensed by Pharmacists governed by our NHS. Maybe that’s the difference.

Interesting. Here, many health insurers' drug plans make pricing extra attractive when the mail order option is used.