Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

That sounds like Common Core. That is what happened when it first started here. One reason I left too. Last half year I took an aides position. A big cut in pay, but I didn't lose my sanity...lol. I hope it gets better for you. Our evaluations changed too. They would come in for 90 minutes, tape recorded everything you said, and used laptops to continually write notes. I think it was like 150 benchmarks needed to be covered. Also grading scale from 1-4. 4 got you $300 more a year, not a month, a 1 or 2 got you more work and having to observe other teachers. I think a 3 you got $150 more a year, not monthly. Don't miss any of it!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

I had in mind one more year after this year to pay off some bills but after that meeting on Friday, I think will happen. Also my granddaughter will be in third grade (the grade I have been teaching for 3 years now). My grandson will also be in school too. The way they described the process was how you described it. Some lady set up this system. Of course, I can't predict the future. My younger sister just lost her husband. He was 60. They had a business that her son will run.

The program is called Charlotte Danielson's Framework for teaching. Like you said, someone comes in for an hour or more and tapes everything. Like I said, I think it will be one more school year after this one. I plan to take my SS at my birthday in Feb. because I will be 66 so I don't have a limit as to how much I can earn. My former partner did it. She was 70 when she retired.

The program is called Charlotte Danielson's Framework for teaching. Like you said, someone comes in for an hour or more and tapes everything. Like I said, I think it will be one more school year after this one. I plan to take my SS at my birthday in Feb. because I will be 66 so I don't have a limit as to how much I can earn. My former partner did it. She was 70 when she retired.
I don't blame you!!![emoji6]

• 3 weeks later...
Lol- I am a newly retired teacher. Teaching is now less about the children learning and more about standardized testing. So, it was time to go.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I retired 3 years ago and have no regrets. The testing and common core were the worst !!! Enjoy your retirement, you earned it!!![emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

I retired 3 years ago and have no regrets. The testing and common core were the worst !!! Enjoy your retirement, you earned it!!![emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

Yes, you too. I started counting the first day of my last year of work. I actually really enjoyed my last two years because I was able to focus on all the things I loved about teaching and I stopped caring about the ratings and the administrative nonsense. I was happy in my career and now I am happily retired. Looking forward to lots of traveling✈️[emoji924]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well done and congratulations to you all on your retirement. Although not a teacher, (Engineer) I can relateto all the admin bumf that has now crept into all aspects of our work which takes away a lot of the enjoyment.

My countdown clock is telling me today, that it is 576 daystill my planned retirement date. It was originally 6 months prior to that but I extended it to fund a another trip toAustralia and Asia that my wife and I are planning on. (We have already booked thecruise from Sydney to Fiji and other islands) However, if work really begins to suck beforethat or circumstances change, then I willhave no hesitation in bringing it forward and make adjustments.

I wish you all happy travelsin your new life as a retiree.

Ron.

I am an engineer as well. I am down to 23 work days and 57 days before retirement. I will be 56 and have 31 years in. Looking forward to travelling! After a 20 year hiatus from cruising, we have 4 cruises planned for next year and 5 land vacations.

Congratulations to all the new and almost retired folks. I just came back to say how great it is to be retired. Don't get me wrong I loved my work but this is so much better.

Grandkids, volunteer work and most of all traveling is just wonderful. You can be assured of one thing. No more sick days. No more counting until Friday. It is wonderful.

Congratulations to all the new and almost retired folks. I just came back to say how great it is to be retired. Don't get me wrong I loved my work but this is so much better.

Grandkids, volunteer work and most of all traveling is just wonderful. You can be assured of one thing. No more sick days. No more counting until Friday. It is wonderful.

Yes it is! I agree with all the above! And you can take cruises anytime you want. I'm on the NCL Pearl and this is my view after leaving Harvest Caye today. Sitting on aft balcony enjoying a drink![emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]aa4a4f1f9a802d6c8dba1bdbf2f438ed.jpgbcd321f6efe97b544fa4f53e53f765ae.jpg1eec3deb0b7f91c95ecda993b18940c7.jpg

Debbie,

Have a great cruise! I will be correcting papers. But I will also be taking my two grandchildren to a birthday and Halloween parties this weekend. It is my son-in-law's birthday and they are going away for the weekend. The one part of my job that I enjoy is seeing my granddaughter at the school that I have taught at for the last 30 years.

Shirley

I retired this past June after being an educator for 41 years; the last 17 years as an administrator. I agree with what many others have said. Education has changed so much and has become so negative. I started counting my days on the first day of school. Love being retired and have two cruises coming up soon..

Hello everyone just checking back in. 5 years ago today was my last day we got rid of our home, autos, everything, no storage. Traveling the world.

Today is our five year anniversary of traveling the world. We are so excited about this milestone. We never knew we'd last so long and look forward to many years to come. Here's today's anniversary photo we took using the tripod and timer. Thanks for all the love from our reader/friends throughout the world:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156776534223574&set=a.10150922174938574.536285.770313573&type=3&theater

I retire in 2 1/2 years!!! Going on a cruise to Alaska to celebrate!![emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The time will pass quickly (at least when you look back). I started my countdown at 48 months and I have only 13 months left. Like you, I have a cruise planned..though I'm heading south!

Enjoy!

The time will pass quickly (at least when you look back). I started my countdown at 48 months and I have only 13 months left. Like you, I have a cruise planned..though I'm heading south!

Enjoy!

I agree, the time will pass quickly but we should not wishour lives away.

As it stands today my countdown clock is telling me it is 564 days until "R" day. We are already booked and are going back to Australia and Asia as we really enjoyed it when we went earlier this year. I have to admit that Alaska is on my list as well and hope to do that someday. Good for you. Nice to have a nice trip planned as well to add to the anticipation.

• 4 weeks later...

I started my countdown at 24 months because that's when I finally decided when I'd retire. I was originally planning to retire at 66 yrs old (July, 2019) and my friend and I wanted to take a fabulous cruise to celebrate.

Last January we decided that my celebration cruise would be a World Cruise starting in Jan, 2019 so I'm retiring 11 days before we leave. I'll be 65.5 yrs old. We'll be gone for 6 glorious months.

So....my countdown as of today is 412 days, or approximately 13 months. Jan. 18, 2019. :hearteyes:

Hello everyone just checking back in. 5 years ago today was my last day we got rid of our home, autos, everything, no storage. Traveling the world.

Today is our five year anniversary of traveling the world. We are so excited about this milestone. We never knew we'd last so long and look forward to many years to come. Here's today's anniversary photo we took using the tripod and timer. Thanks for all the love from our reader/friends throughout the world:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156776534223574&set=a.10150922174938574.536285.770313573&type=3&theater

I couldn't access your photo, but congratulations on 5 happy years. I retired from nursing 2 years 8 months ago and couldn't be happier. In the last 12 months I'll have travelled to Abu Dhabi (cruise), Malaysia and Vietnam, Jamaica, Ireland and India.

I've finally decided on a range for the date - some time between April 1 and April 13, between 110 and 123 days from now. That will be age 65 and a half after 44 years of working. At least I'm only waffling over where in a fortnight to retire.

I'm not really counting the days but noticing things that I'm doing for the last time. Some make me happy and some are more bittersweet. We are required to change our work passwords at least once every 6 months so I've done that for the last time. Also this fall was the last time to take some of the annual employee training. Looking forward to the day when I do the last expense report for a business trip (shortly before I retire) - yay!! not bittersweet at all. But the last trip where I see colleagues I've worked with for decades will be bittersweet.

It is weird to me when we get to a part of a meeting when we are considering future meeting venues and dates - I no longer have to care about that because I won't be there after more than 30 years of attending meeting weeks 6 or more times a year.

I'm booked to cruise from Yokohama to Vancouver vie Seward in May - 27 days. I'm trying to decide how many days and where to spend on land in Japan before boarding. The first meeting I miss will fall during that trip so at least I'll be busy having fun.

Edited by new_cruiser