21 day Carry-on - have you done this?

RCNslr

May have to think about this...as with stairs down to the street from our home it is getting more difficult to "drag" those suitcases up and down!!! While our home is on 1 level once you are in the house....not so to reach the street!! And TBH we really don't take a "suitcase" full of stuff anymore!! Then again...maybe I could find a HS kid to come over and drag them up and down???? :evilsmile: Or just take less "stuff"!!! :) LuAnn

In the style of the late Don Horner, but not as good as he did it, we will attempt to do our 21 day cruise stay with carry-on bags only. It is a challenge, and given the rules (18 lb max on flights in Europe) means that our "extras" will be left at home. since the weather will be cool it makes it easier to wear a sports jacket onboard the plane (no packing) and .... cut out all frills. have any of you done this?;)

I once did a 100 day cruise with just a carry on. No problem.

A 21 day cruise would be easy. :)

Enjoy your cruise.

Never, I wouldn't travel with carry on. We check everything except would we really need-like med's, money and paper doc's. In fact I hate to see people when they carry on so much, getting in everybody's way, not caring if they hit or bump someone. I also fly 1st but still won't carry on............

Greetings from South Beach, Everyone. This has been a very enjoyable thread for me. My DH is always telling me to stop trying to pack lighter and lighter. Both of us lost luggage in transit, much to our horror. We were glad to have essentials in our carryons. Since then, on the traveling only with carryons issue, I am sometimes on, sometimes off that track.

My total luggage consists of two Brighton carryons, and a matching leather case that looks like a big purse. When we travel, it boils down to if I use one or both carryons. DH likes a standard suitcase and a Tumi carryon. If we are flying to our embarkation port, and staying a few days, pre/post cruise, we send whatever would be checked by Luggage Forward. Same procedure for the return, This means that we live out of our carryons for any land based trip sections. Sometimes they can be quite lengthy. My slightly larger Brighton comes with two beautiful pouches that can be used as handbags when attached to chain and leather straps that came with them. In transit, they are holders for underwear/sleepwear, and jewelry. The bag holds enough for five days, with color coordinated clothes from Chicos. Their Travelers line really does travel well. Mesh bags from home make laundromats possible, and everything is washable. The matching leather case has slots for two pair of shoes, and all sorts of compartments for things. Sometimes I do use the other carryon, and it goes with Luggage Forward. I used it on our first Explorer cruise because I just wanted to have more choices on a grand new ship. Feeling comfortable is my main goal. We are on vacation, after all. As long as we can wear only one outfit at a time, it isn't too difficult to figure out combinations. I pack originals together in large plastic bags. All of them can be reshuffled. Voila! New looks! Happy packing to all, and to all a great trip!

Mary

Edited by warburg

• 2 weeks later...

:DWe are on our way home sitting in Miami airport happy with our carry on adventure and sure to do it again. We did not use some items as the ship's laundry meant we always had clean clothes (same outfits) but works for us. We saw people with 6 - 8 bags set out for the crew to haul to the terminal and we did not envy them.

All the observations and suggestions in this thread have been most helpful to us and thanks to you we are carry on cruisers now. BTW great Sirena cruise!

:DWe are on our way home sitting in Miami airport happy with our carry on adventure and sure to do it again. We did not use some items as the ship's laundry meant we always had clean clothes (same outfits) but works for us. We saw people with 6 - 8 bags set out for the crew to haul to the terminal and we did not envy them.

All the observations and suggestions in this thread have been most helpful to us and thanks to you we are carry on cruisers now. BTW great Sirena cruise!

How many days was your cruise vacation?

On Oceania, is laundry service complimentary? Do they iron, starch and press the clothes?

We will be on Sirena for a 7 day Cuba cruise.

I admire everyone who can pack everything they need for a 2 week trip into a carry-on. We are all different but I couldn't do it. I am simple and don't require a different outfit for every occasion. I'll wear the same clothes several times and use the ship's laundry services. The issue for me is the liquids. There is no way I can pack all the liquids that I'll be needing into a quart-size bag. I wear a modest amount of make-up and I like to use my own shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, etc. It would be impossible for me to put all of that into a little bag. We also like to purchase a bottle of wine or favorite liquer at some of the ports. We always check luggage and haven't had any problems doing that.

I admire everyone who can pack everything they need for a 2 week trip into a carry-on. We are all different but I couldn't do it. I am simple and don't require a different outfit for every occasion. I'll wear the same clothes several times and use the ship's laundry services. The issue for me is the liquids. There is no way I can pack all the liquids that I'll be needing into a quart-size bag. I wear a modest amount of make-up and I like to use my own shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, etc. It would be impossible for me to put all of that into a little bag. We also like to purchase a bottle of wine or favorite liquer at some of the ports. We always check luggage and haven't had any problems doing that.

Greetings, sunlover, from your kind of place, South Beach. if I tried to carry liquids in my luggage, I couldn't do carryon either. If we are departing and returning here, as on our next two cruises, I most probably will use both carryons.

Living 30 minutes from the port, with no staircases involved, and no airport hassles, it may be time for a few dry clean only favorites and those impractical shoes. In any case, I always use the amenities provided by Regent or Oceania, even the lotions. So far, my hair and skin have survived.

Selected scents and makeup fit into a small case that I bought from Avon. Missing items can be replaced in transit. In fact, when we dock in a country where we've either lived or visited frequently, I buy local products. When we depart from Miami, we use a tote from one of our favorite lines filled with mouthwash, DH's shaving stuff, and other useful stuff. One caveat, if we don't really like something, it stays home.

Mary

We are figuring out how to pack less. Our last cruise left from Seattle so we drove and parked at the terminal. Even so, we tried to pack light.

I did not use one jacket, once sweater style shirt, two T-shirts, one pair of pants, and some socks. So...not bad! If I can eliminate some of that next time I can get it all in one carry-on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Forums mobile app

:DWe were gone 21 days in all, the cruise was 16 days. Laundry was a paid item but they do have specials of 20 items for $24.95 washed and folded only. The regular wash, iron, press & starch is more expensive but is ok especially if you have onboard credit to use up. Enjoy Sirena on your cruise.quote=Kingofcool1947;54254158]How many days was your cruise vacation?

On Oceania, is laundry service complimentary? Do they iron, starch and press the clothes?

We will be on Sirena for a 7 day Cuba cruise.

I agree

it is more critical to arrive with luggage than when returning home

I would rather not have to worry if my bags will be on the same vacation as I am .....personal choice

When I have to check my big bags I cross pack & hope we get at least one bag if we get both it is another successful flight ;)

If I do take carry on sometimes it is gate checked but usually we each have a small 20 or 21" roller bag

coming home I pack a small folding bag to bring home extras then check the carry-ons

it is all about what works best for you

So right, but we did find another advantage to arriving in Canada with our carry on luggage - the new fangled machine declarations that were a major annoyance (since the one we used with a helper was malfunctioning) and although we were one of the first through to the lineup, we were re-directed to an officer to show the machine printed customs form that was incorrect. Many others passed us due to our delay, but we walked out first anyway since we passed them waiting for their checked luggage to reach the carousel. Our wheelies with our "purses" perched on top made the entire effort easy and we usually ditch liquids that are almost or actually finished to speed through TSA etc.:D

Our wheelies with our "purses" perched on top made the entire effort easy and we usually ditch liquids that are almost or actually finished to speed through TSA etc.:D

Yes when I do carry on I only take what will fit in the 311 bag & buy anything else in the embarkation port or on the ship ..that is what OBC is for :halo: