Scooter rental use in ports

JaneyLynn

I searched and had no luck with this question, I probably didn't search hard enough:cool:

Mom will be renting a "transportable electric scooter" from scootaround for our Carnival Dream cruise. She asked me this and I said "let me ask this wonderful sub-forum" so.......

will she be able to take it off the ship into Cozumel? Grand Cayman is tender so we know that's a no.. and Jamaica is just too congested. Will we be able to go shopping in the little town square?

TIA

If your Carnival ship docks at Puerta Maya, like we did last April on Princess, you will be able to take it off the ship. I have seen passengers in wheelchair and scooter in the shops just outside the terminal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I searched and had no luck with this question, I probably didn't search hard enough:cool:

Mom will be renting a "transportable electric scooter" from scootaround for our Carnival Dream cruise. She asked me this and I said "let me ask this wonderful sub-forum" so.......

will she be able to take it off the ship into Cozumel? Grand Cayman is tender so we know that's a no.. and Jamaica is just too congested. Will we be able to go shopping in the little town square?

TIA

No problem. DH takes his off every time we're there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

TIA

Yes the scooter can be taken off the ship. Based on your question its assumed this is the first time your mother is cruising with a mobility scooter. Therefore suggest you read my post #17 in thus link https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2505162 as it contains helpful information to know about cruising with a scooter.

On one trip to Montego Bay, our ship was the only one in port. The shuttle bus into town was wheelchair accessible with space for both of us so we went into town. However we were very careful to stay within the recommended area. The terminal mall does have some interesting shops if you just want to wander around at the port. It is accessible.

I have been told that Grand Cayman does have accessible tenders. However, the likely hood of their tenders being used is very slim. Carnival does not allow mobility devices on their tenders.

It appears that the Dream normally docks at Puerta Maya in Cozumel. We scooted into town on our own. However, with both of us on scooters with heavy duty batteries, it was fairly easy and practical trip. I would not recommend making the trip with a rental scooter. We normally carried a battery charger that could handle both 110 and 220 plus a plug adapter with us.

I was in Cozumel in January and February this year. They did a beautiful job of cleaning it up. Definitely an improvement and worth a visit. You can get a taxi from the port. As long as she can get in and out of the taxi on her own, the individual directing the taxis will call up one with adequate space for the scooter. If she needs to ride the scooter in and out of the vehicle, she would have to wait for one of the wheelchair accessible taxis. On one trip, we were charged $5 more than the posted rate because of the scooters. Regardless, it was still a good deal. Overall, Cozumel was accessible except for Museo de Cozumel. When I wrote to them, I was advised that they are making changes and that they anticipated it would be made accessible in the near future.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty