Most cruise ports

june1

We began in BA and arrived 3 days early to have more time to explore city. Also, we flew into BA and started vacation immediately. If you start in Valparaiso, you need to get from airport in Santiago to Valparaiso - I'd rather do that at the end. Our cruise on Celebrity had 6 days at sea, but no more than 2 in a row

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Which SA cruise has the most stops? We get bored on too many sea days. Is it better to begin or end in Buenos Aries?

Thanks

Look at Rio to Valpo (around the Horn) on Oceania Sirena. Starts in early February 2019 - about 5 weeks with only a few, well placed sea days.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The big cities are interesting as you learn the differences between the southamerica culture. Is not the same Brasil , than Uruguay , than Chile than Argentina. Buenos Aires is the main stop in Argentina as many people end or start their cruiseship so , to have a welcome by a local guide is highly recommended as they put you in a context to learn and they are all connected between different countries and help to find local adventures or just cultural activities in each city. You must book in advance ! the good ones are almost booked and then you have to run and book commercial tours or unknown guides. If you build a group is better to reduce cost but if you want to do a private tour it will be just for you. We did it with a lovely lady and her team Buenos Aires Local Guide (liz2arg at yahoo dot com)

I may look at NCL. We did a Holland America for Asia and my husband said it was a waste with too many sea days. We were bored and it is too tough with time off from work.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

With all due respect to your hubby, too many sea days is not a function of the cruise line...they all have them. Too many sea days is a result of the choices the passenger makes.

Before booking you must examine the itinerary for the ship you are considering. NCL, HAL, X, Princess all have them available so that you can count ports, sea days, which ports tender, etc so that you know what you are buying.

We did South America last year with HAL (14 days) and never had more than 2 sea days in a row.

Sailing distances are long (but worth it) for South America, so expect several sea days with any cruise line.

Yes, I agree that you should check the amount of sea days. After the HAL cruise, we now do that and dismiss those with too many. We are still working so we don't like to be taking too many days off where we are just hanging out on the ship as we don't get much vacation time. Perhaps if we were retired, it would be different. The HAL cruise was a good price but it used up too much of our precious vacation time