Costa Diadema VS MSC Meraviglia

xmkv2

Hello,

Being cruise novices, my wife and I are looking at different cruise options and would really appreciate some basic tips.

The premise is a week-long cruise around week 7 (mid-Feb) 2018 in the Mediterranean. We have two kids 3 & 6 with us, who are quite seasoned and well-behaved restaurant guests clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Both Costa Diadema and MSC Meraviglia have roundtrips that fit the bill. Their ports are similar. On both of them we are too late to get Duplex or even "regular" suites, having to "settle" for cabins.

The guidance we seek is about comfort onboard. It being the Winter season, this will be relatively important for us. An agent has described Costa's ships as "3-star quality" (as per the hotel scale), maybe with Diadema "3.star plus" due to it being only a couple of years old.

How would MSC Meraviglia compare on things like food quality/diversity, restaurant quality (acoustics vs children ratio), staff attitude, room quality in the cabin segment?

Thanks for any insights/opinions

QUOTEmultiquote_off.gif

Obviously it will always be a matter of taste, IMO I think the Diadema just edges in front, slightly better food on MSC, although over the past year Costa has certainly been improving & and is on the way back to the glorious days of the 1990's.

We cruise every year in February, and as the Diadema is the only ship Costa has in the 'Med' then it will have to be her this year.

MSC maybe has better entertainment but Costa has a better Kids Club, though not to many are on during February, maybe a good thing as your kids will get wonderful treatment from the staff.

Good Pizza & Burgers on Costa if they are into that, plus a wonderful Teppanyaki Japanese Restruarant which will provided some entertainment just watching the chefs preform. MDR are reasonably comfortable during FEB just about 2 thirds full.

Drinks package are slightly better on Costa for both Adults & children.

We are on the Diadema over Christmas as well as in Feb, but have done or considered MSC before, MSC used to be our choice but after reaching the highest club level on Costa they are now our first choice, due to the perks they give over MSC.

Staff & crew vary so much on ever ship overall would say they are about even.

Hi Tenpin

I had the same dilemma, although don't have children. I haven't sailed on either ship but I've plumped for Magnifica because I really want to experience the ship whilst it's still newish. I was looking at an Aurea balcony because the UK have balcony cabins for the price of an inside, but on checking with a german agent, I found they had Fantastica insides which will allow me to get spa passes and drinks package and still save money. It might be worth checking with agents outside the UK as they may have the duplex or suites that you'd like.

Tenpin, thank you for very thorough considerations! We have been looking more into the Costa Diadema cruise tonight. Pity that all suites are sold out. I hope the cabin will provide enough breathing space for our family. Hard to tell how much time we will spend in there. Also the cabin may be on lower decks than the suites. But can't be helped - it is the February itinerary we are looking to fill.

Can you tell us a little bit about what to expect from the outdoors areas of Diadema in February? Is the air chilly? Freezing? Is the pool heated?

One other thing I forgot to mention, keep a look out for free & 99 Euros kids places on both lines. Plus some all inclusive drink packages include.

I think we have the drinks packages covered. What do you mean by the first thing you mention?

To be honest unless you were thinking of the Grand Suites there is very little difference in the balcony cabins and the standard Suite, except perhaps a small area called the dressing room and a bath instead of a shower. There is enough room for three adults or two and two children.

Again you can never be sure how the weather is going to be like, but every year over the past 12 we have cruise the 'Med' in February (our Anniversary) always manage to sit outside for a while most days, as we seldom go ashore now. Kids pool & the pool deck are covered with a roof that can be closed when weather is cold.

My first comment about the food, was after the Concordia the choice and standard dropped on all of Costa's ships, along with a 'New' chef who was to say the least unconventional, they now are slowly going back to the wonderful menu's of the later 90's. with more choice and much better dishes.

There is more choice on the Diadema that other ships of what style you want to eat, the buffet now serves roughly the same as downstairs in the MDR's which they stopped for a while.

We have been on MSC Opera in November 2016 and on Costa in May 2017.

I can´t speak for the ships you have selected since I have never been on Diadema or Meraviglia. However, in a direct comparison between Costa and MSC, for me MSC is the winner. The reasons are:

- food was better and of more very good consistent quality on MSC (3people, same meat dish: one cold, one thick slaps of meat, one good)

- daily programme offered more diversity, since on Costa we had one thing (dancing lessons, lectures,...) at 3pm and the next on e.g. 4pm.

On MSC you have maybe two things at 3pm, another one starting and overlapping on 3:30pm, then two more at 4pm.

- we normally use the restaurant for breakfast. On Costa we went to the buffett because even on land days, service was very slow and you could wait ages for your coffee. Needless to say, no refill.

- Most stupid difference: at Costa coffee is not included in the free drinks.

There´s free coffee at the buffet in the mornings and for coffee time from 4pm to 5pm. They are very strict keeping the times. MSC will give you free coffee all day long and the most annoying:

- No food around the clock on Costa.

We usually spent our time on land exploring things instead of eating. So when we get back on board we usually have some coffee and cake or lunch. Well, did the first tour of the cruise with Costa, went to Avignon, got back at 5pm and no coffee, no food, not even a cookie. Also looked at the pool bar- nothing. This was the same on any other port day.

- Tendering with Costa was a huge mess

In Stockholm we were to arrive at 9am. Nowhere (and I even asked my travel agency beforehand because we thought about leaving the ship on the first day) did it say we would tender. Everyone on the whole ship was surprised by this. We reached land at 11:50am and had Tender ticket G1.

- MSC does not offer lectures on cruise ports and we really enjoyed these while being on Costa.

Everything else (cabins, cleanliness, service for dinner in the evenings, bars,...) was the same than on MSC. I would ride with Costa again, but only if the price is right. In a direct comparison I myself would always go with MSC.

The two ships the OP requested information about are Costa and MSC newest ships.

Both are totally new concepts which have not been rolled out on other ships.

With regards to food, read the comments about how bad the food is in MSC Meraviglia and the problems with the onboard computer systems.

The two ships the OP requested information about are Costa and MSC newest ships.

Both are totally new concepts which have not been rolled out on other ships.

With regards to food, read the comments about how bad the food is in MSC Meraviglia and the problems with the onboard computer systems.

I do understand that this is about the newest ships. However, I just gave my opinion and the reasons why I´d choose MSC instead of Costa.

I do understand that this is about the newest ships. However, I just gave my opinion and the reasons why I´d choose MSC instead of Costa.

Opinions are what make the these forums go round.

Will you be visiting the Wies'n?

Hello,

Being cruise novices, my wife and I are looking at different cruise options and would really appreciate some basic tips.m]

It's unlikely that any individual has sailed on BOTH these particular ships, in order to compare them.

You have to personally read the individual ship reviews by the editor and other members of Cruise critic and then judge for yourself.

• 1 month later...

Hi there

I have actually sailed on both so if you do have any more specific questions ask away!

My husband, 7yr old and I went on the Diadema last December for 6 nights and had a great time. However, as someone else posted, there are no freebies - except one glass of wine at one mealtime. MSC have a gala night where the drinks were copious.

We then did one night on the Meraviglia in September and have booked to sail on her again for a week.

For me, I enjoyed the Costa Diadema and will certainly do another, hopefully the new Smeralda.

Both have really good evening theatre shows.

I think if the itineriaries are the same and same price, I would do the Meraviglia as she is new and we especially liked the LED dome walkway

Hi again - I will try to answer this - How would MSC Meraviglia compare on things like food quality/diversity, restaurant quality (acoustics vs children ratio), staff attitude, room quality in the cabin segment?"

We were only on her one night but have sailed with MSC many a time and found the levels of service to be high as ever. However, we had a fantastica balcony and the wardrobe door did not open fully for some reason.

Someone else posted that the kids clubs wouldn't be open. We are sailing over the Feb half-term and the kids club will be open on the Meraviglia. We were really impressed by what we did see at the Kids Club and for children and teens in general, for example a Lego club and bowling. (I don't know if you are familar with the Quantum class of Royal Caribbean, but it reminded me of this).

On the Meraviglia there is a covered pool area and lots of things to do should the weather be inclement!