? about excursion to see St Martins Beach sea caves in St john

betmust

We will be in St John on Oct. 17th. I am with a group of 10 booking an excursion thru the ship to go here plus other stops. Our ship gets in at 7am. There are 2 excursion times - either 9am or 9:30am. When I look up tide times, low tide is 4:32am and high tide is 10:44am.

Will the tide still be low enough to walk the beach and still see the caves?

I booked the 9:30 but I think I should change it till 9 - will that give us time?

Thanks for any help.

I have the same concern for an earlier sailing. It seems like the tours are scheduled solely based on what time the ship docks with no regard to the tide schedules. For your tour times, I don't think there will be any hope of walking the caves. The tide still has to come in all the way and then go out. At best, you would be at mid tide before the tour returned to port. Moving the tour up 30 minutes would make it even worse.

Our ship doesn't dock until 11 AM and high tide is about a half hour after that, with the tours leaving at 12 and 12:30. Low tide is then around 6 PM and the ship doesn't leave until 11 PM. There's a chance the 12:30 tour would be late enough that the tide would be out before having to return, but there's no guarantee. I'm thinking the best strategy would be to rent a car since then you are not at the mercy of the tour bus and can wait out the tide until it's far enough out to walk the caves.

Does anyone know exactly how far before and after low tide the caves can be walked? Would 2 hours before low tide be enough, or does it need to be within 30-60 minutes?

• 4 months later...

http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/6117.html?y=2017&m=10&d=23

on my day it appears low tide is 9 am. we do get into port at 5 am. and i my the Regals excursion page has an error so i cannot see the time they go but i'm guessing it wouldnt be out there at the caves by 9 anyway. does anyone know if a tour company would get out there this early? or is renting a car an ez option?