Buying toiletries at airport

jones721

In a recent thread, someone posted about buying toiletries from Boots at the airport rather than using up precious luggage allowance in cases. Has anyone any recent experience of this because I thought you were only allowed one carry on and that duty free counted as an extra piece of carry on luggage? That would, therefore, defeat the object of buying at the airport as you would have to save space in your hand luggage for your purchases.

Do they check/weigh luggage as you get on the plane or could you take a Boots carrier bag on in addition to your luggage?

Thanks,

Tracey

All the times we have flown your duty free bag is allowed on they do not check hand luggage as you board. I have never had hand luggage weighed but I do only take a small bag and a hand bag. just usually Kindle, glasses and medication, maybe a swimsuit and flip flops and documentation. Have a great cruise.

All the times we have flown your duty free bag is allowed on they do not check hand luggage as you board. I have never had hand luggage weighed but I do only take a small bag and a hand bag. just usually Kindle, glasses and medication, maybe a swimsuit and flip flops and documentation. Have a great cruise.

Thanks for info.

Is that with a P&O charter flight? We usually fly abroad with different American airlines (quite often Delta) and they allow more than more piece of hand luggage plus duty free - but I had read that P&O charter flights were very strict on the way out (less so on the way back).

In a recent thread, someone posted about buying toiletries from Boots at the airport rather than using up precious luggage allowance in cases. Has anyone any recent experience of this because I thought you were only allowed one carry on and that duty free counted as an extra piece of carry on luggage? That would, therefore, defeat the object of buying at the airport as you would have to save space in your hand luggage for your purchases.

Do they check/weigh luggage as you get on the plane or could you take a Boots carrier bag on in addition to your luggage?

Thanks,

Tracey

It seems to vary. Sometimes when we have checked in our hand luggage has been weighed and other times they have not bothered or just had a quick look.

On boarding the plane they dont take much notice of what you have and some passengers appear to have small suitcases that exceed the allowed dimensions stated. We would usually have an extra carrier bag with a newspaper or book and no one said anything so I wouldnt worry about it.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for info.

Is that with a P&O charter flight? We usually fly abroad with different American airlines (quite often Delta) and they allow more than more piece of hand luggage plus duty free - but I had read that P&O charter flights were very strict on the way out (less so on the way back).

Our December cruise will be our first P and O charter but we have done other charters and scheduled for cruises and land based trips and can honestly say we haven't been stopped from taking a carrier bag from the duty free shops. I think it may be different if you turn up with a weeks shopping but I don't think you are planning on that :):) I'm sure you will be fine with some toiletries.

One duty free bag doesn't count as hand luggage. It's to encourage people to buy from airports.

Ryanair tried it for a short period but stopped,probably after a backlash from the airports concerned.

We have had varying experiences when flying on a P&O flight to the Caribbean. Usually we have been asked to show our hand luggage to the check in person but only once have had it weighed - it was fine. Every time we have been told that my handbag must be inside my hand luggage, never been allowed to take it on board as a separate item. Only on one occasion at the departure gate when going through to board the plane has it been announced that only one bag can be taken on board, including duty free. So there was a great scramble of people trying to put their hand luggage inside the duty free bag. I think the answer is that you never know. All I know is that I hate the scramble it seems to be at Security - yes I know it's essential - but by the time you've taken coats or jackets off, shoes off, belts off for the men, put iPads etc. on the tray separately and then gone through the scanner which bleeps at the metal plate in my leg so I have to go through and be scanned separately - and then you have to get it all on again while keeping an eye on my bag which has my purse/wallet inside, it's exhausting. Yes I know that in this day and age it's inevitable. When we were checking in last time I couldn't help notice that opposite was the check in for Emirates and there was a couple checking in - no queue - and they had innumerable bags and the woman had a very expensive looking handbag plus another large piece of hand luggage and they went through very quickly - mind you I dread to think how much they had paid for their ticket!

I feel the same way about the "security scramble". Sadly, as you say it's inevitable. At least so far I've never been asked to remove my shoes.

Always asked to remove shoes at Barbados airport and the floor is filthy- yuk! I was also told to remove my shoes(sandals?) at Manchester airport last month but husband didnt need to remove his but he was frisked and I wasnt.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

We have had varying experiences when flying on a P&O flight to the Caribbean. Usually we have been asked to show our hand luggage to the check in person but only once have had it weighed - it was fine. Every time we have been told that my handbag must be inside my hand luggage, never been allowed to take it on board as a separate item. Only on one occasion at the departure gate when going through to board the plane has it been announced that only one bag can be taken on board, including duty free. So there was a great scramble of people trying to put their hand luggage inside the duty free bag. I think the answer is that you never know. All I know is that I hate the scramble it seems to be at Security - yes I know it's essential - but by the time you've taken coats or jackets off, shoes off, belts off for the men, put iPads etc. on the tray separately and then gone through the scanner which bleeps at the metal plate in my leg so I have to go through and be scanned separately - and then you have to get it all on again while keeping an eye on my bag which has my purse/wallet inside, it's exhausting. Yes I know that in this day and age it's inevitable. When we were checking in last time I couldn't help notice that opposite was the check in for Emirates and there was a couple checking in - no queue - and they had innumerable bags and the woman had a very expensive looking handbag plus another large piece of hand luggage and they went through very quickly - mind you I dread to think how much they had paid for their ticket!

Yes, that's what I had read - duty free had to go inside hand luggage but didn't know how true it was. Oh well, I'll have to have a jacket with big pockets . . . just in case!

Flights will be going soon to Caribbean so I think I may repost in a month or so to see what current procedure seems to be.

Tracey

It seems to me Tracey that it may depend on the Check in person as to what mood they are in. Some are really smiley and helpful whereas others show that they'd rather not be there. I would prepare for the worst then you won't have any shocks.