Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Fitness, Spa & Sports Cruises
Active cruisers unite!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:24 AM.
15 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
Originally posted by tastyozbloke Carnival - Legend / Spirit - on both (sister) ships, free male only facilities - small area with lockers; 4 or 5 shower rooms (one large disabled one); steam room too hot to sit in for long; sauna with very bright light and glass door has two levels of seating, enough room for maybe 6 people. Facilities seldom used at all, swimwear worn by 99% of users. Only had one conversation over several cruises. Not recommended at all. Very family-oriented crowd and quite bogan (redneck), but lots of nice scenery by the pools.
Sailing on Carnival Spirit out of Sydney tomorrow (Monday) and hope to get in some sauna/steam room time. Hopefully I’m not alone and there's opportunity for some male bonding while the wife is busy elsewhere.
New York, NY
108 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Originally posted by twallo
The Summit is a great ship, one of my favourites actually.

The men's change room by the indoor pool has a large sauna with a large window so you can watch the sea go by as you relax. It seats 8-12 men comfortably and is free to use. There is an open shower area outside the sauna to cool off between sessions and three large private showers which many men use to get ready in the evenings before dinner.

There is also the Persian garden which is by the spa, this is a pay area and is co-ed. It has several saunas and steam rooms plus heated tiled loungers. Unlike other Celebrity ships this Persian Garden is relatively small and all inside with no windows so it isn't an area I particularly enjoy.

If you are in an Aqua class stateroom you will have free access to the Persian Garden and also access to the Blu dining room, which for me is very nice. The food is at par or better than the main dining room with its own menu each night, but the service is much better since it's a smaller restaurant, think of it as your own speciality dining restaurant.

Have fun! I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Hey! This info is really helpful. Can you advise if they also have lockers?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app
Toronto, ON
75 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by ProblemCruiser
Hey! This info is really helpful. Can you advise if they also have lockers?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Yes they have lots of lockers, over 50 at least. They are the smaller cubby hole style and have a key lock. You can get the keys from an attendant at the spa by leaving you key card. I’d say about half the guys will get a key the rest just grab an open empty locker and leave their stuff unlocked while they use the sauna.

Have a fun cruise!

New York, NY
108 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Originally posted by twallo
Yes they have lots of lockers, over 50 at least. They are the smaller cubby hole style and have a key lock. You can get the keys from an attendant at the spa by leaving you key card. I’d say about half the guys will get a key the rest just grab an open empty locker and leave their stuff unlocked while they use the sauna.

Have a fun cruise!

Thanks, Buddy. Please enjoy your next one as well. Sorry to necropost you!
North Carolina
409 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by Mattwilson
Sailing on Carnival Spirit out of Sydney tomorrow (Monday) and hope to get in some sauna/steam room time. Hopefully I’m not alone and there's opportunity for some male bonding while the wife is busy elsewhere.

Hope you had a great time. I love my bonding time in the steam/sauna. I’m sailing on the Independence of the Seas in May solo, so I’ll have plenty of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mardi Gras - 1988
Holiday - 1989
Sovereign of the Seas - 2007
Valor - 2012
Dream - 2013
Liberty- 2014
Breeze - 2014
Legend - 2016
Ecstasy - 2016
Sunshine - 2016
Queen Mary 2 - 2017
Imagination - 2017
Magic - 2017
Victory - 2018
Independence of the Seas - 2018
Reflection - 2018
Port Angeles, Washington
178 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Just off NCL Dawn. The ship is a different class than the "Pearl" style ships. Recently tastefully remodeled Thermal Suite is a more compact design and is in the back of the ship below the gym. There is a co-ed middle section and seperate men/women only sections. No lockers, showers or free saunas are available to gym users, only those purchasing the Thermal Suite package. On the men's only side - VERY clean, well stocked with towels and robes - plenty of lockers with the 4 number lock design - a prep area with hair dryers - and another area with sinks, 3 urinals and a toilet. Everything was in excellent shape. The sauna is "L" shaped, with two seating levels - about 8 guys max. The steam room is a "J" shape, with tiled seating areas, part one level, part two levels. Again 8 would fill the space. Both have some privacy. There are three compact showers with full opaque glass doors with a wood seating area along one side. Across are a single person cold plunge and a hot tub (no jets). No windows to the outside except in the co-ed part. Given the limited space available, overall very good design! This cruise was very port intensive, so really quiet until 5 pm or after. Majority wore towels or nothing. Some suits were thrown in to balance it out. Enjoyable cruise!
Toronto, ON, Canada
457 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
Originally posted by twodjs
Just off NCL Dawn. ...those purchasing the Thermal Suite package.
Any heated loungers? And how much was it?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2017 Anthem of the Seas - Bahamas
2016 Grandeur of the Seas - Canada/New England
2014 Celebrity Summit - Bermuda
2010 Oasis of the Seas - Caribbean
2009 Navigator of the Seas - Mediterranean
2008 Ruby Princess - Caribbean
2004 Queen Mary II - Caribbean
2003 Star Princess - Mexican Riviera
2002 Adventure of the Seas - Caribbean
2001 Radiance of the Seas - Alaska
1999 Grand Princess - Mediterranean
1997 Monarch of the Seas - Caribbean

Port Angeles, Washington
178 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Yes, there are around 8 or 10 heated tile loungers on the Dawn. 7 night cruise $139 pre-cruise price...add $20 if booked on the cruise.
15 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
Recently sailed on Carnival Spirit.
Small free male only sauna and steam room accessed through the men's locker room in the spa area (entrance to the gym).
Showers were great. Each shower was a seperate room with its own changing area with a lockable door. Very private.
Port Angeles, Washington
178 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Hi mont49 - found a description of the NCL Spirit spa posted in June of this year - smaller, so no Thermal Suite offered, but free sauna and steam room in the men's and women's locker rooms. Sounds just like NCL Sky, which I was on a couple of weeks ago. If so, it is well stocked with towels and robes. Bring your own flip-flops. Perhaps someone else can confirm this layout.
Montréal
2 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by twodjs
Just off NCL Dawn. The ship is a different class than the "Pearl" style ships. Recently tastefully remodeled Thermal Suite is a more compact design and is in the back of the ship below the gym. There is a co-ed middle section and seperate men/women only sections. No lockers, showers or free saunas are available to gym users, only those purchasing the Thermal Suite package. On the men's only side - VERY clean, well stocked with towels and robes - plenty of lockers with the 4 number lock design - a prep area with hair dryers - and another area with sinks, 3 urinals and a toilet. Everything was in excellent shape. The sauna is "L" shaped, with two seating levels - about 8 guys max. The steam room is a "J" shape, with tiled seating areas, part one level, part two levels. Again 8 would fill the space. Both have some privacy. There are three compact showers with full opaque glass doors with a wood seating area along one side. Across are a single person cold plunge and a hot tub (no jets). No windows to the outside except in the co-ed part. Given the limited space available, overall very good design! This cruise was very port intensive, so really quiet until 5 pm or after. Majority wore towels or nothing. Some suits were thrown in to balance it out. Enjoyable cruise!
The sauna, steam rooms cold plunge and hot tub it's in a separate zone for men only?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Inspiration nov 2017
NCL Getaway janvier 2017
Port Angeles, Washington
178 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Yes, seperate area on one side for men, only. I presume the women's side is the same design. The co-ed section with jacuzzis, pool and heated loungers is in the middle section.
United States- Alabama
76 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
This thread is great!

Anyone know anything about the set up for the upcoming MSC Seaside?

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Milwaukee
6 Posts
Joined May 2016
Originally posted by RollTideGuy
This thread is great!

Anyone know anything about the set up for the upcoming MSC Seaside?

I've been trying to find info on any of the MSC ships too. The Deck Plans are not very informative. Anyone have info on MSC Divina or MSC Seaside? Thanks in advance and happy cruising.