Be loyal to one cruise line or try lots of different lines?

marybeshaw

If the perks aren’t a significant reason, what do you think are significant reasons for sticking with one line?

Couldn't resist responding to this post. I think its just a mindset with some folks. Its similar to the people that go to the same vacation place (such as the shore) year after year. Or folks that always go out to the same restaurant. Some people like familiarity and others like being known by a cruise line or restaurant because it feeds their ego. We know one cruiser who primarily cruises on RCI (where he is Diamond Plus). He once told me going on RCI made him feel "important" because he got some perks and could use the Concierge lounge.

One can never underestimate feeding egos. About 3 years ago HAL announced they were discontinuing their Medallion Program...which gave frequent cruisers different color medallions (bronze, silver, gold, platinum) based on actual days sailed. The Medallions had no real value, did not get you extra perks, and are a large ugly medallion that usually ends up in a drawer at home. But some folks drag them on their cruises so they can wear them at the Mariners Club luncheon. And when HAL said they were ending this program these folks went nutz and flooded HAL with e-mails and letters. So HAL backed down and still gives out those silly medallions (we have a few which are in the bottom of a drawer where they will stay forever). And then there are the silly little pins you get (from many lines) for being a frequent customer. I have a collection of the things (including old ones from Orient Lines, Sitmar, etc) which also sit at the bottom of a drawer. But you do see a few cruisers (especially on HAL wearing those silly pins. To them, its important. To me, I would gladly trade-in any of that junk for a free drink or bottle of wine :). We actually offered to sell our Gold Medallion (HAL) at their end of the cruise auction (its for charity and passenger donate things to be auctioned) but the Cruise Director said they were not allowed to auction the Medallions. But you can find them on e-bay :).

Hank

If the perks aren’t a significant reason, what do you think are significant reasons for sticking with one line?

The only REALLY significant reason for "sticking with one line" would be the unlikely coincidence of that line offering the best itinerary at the best price from the most convenient port every time you got the urge to cruise.

The fact is that the perks might be worth a couple of hundred dollars on a fairly long itinerary. That translates to being simply a minor money-saving motive. And money-saving is simply not a significant reason for ALWAYS sailing the same line.

We have mainly sailed Princess b3cause we started with them and liked it. However have sailed numerous other lines and as we think Princess shore side service is slipping, may well change to Celebrity as our first pick. However Celebrity have a couple of things we aren’t in love with..

Mainly On board charges are in US$ So we get hit with conversion and bank fees.

We have mainly sailed Princess b3cause we started with them and liked it. However have sailed numerous other lines and as we think Princess shore side service is slipping, may well change to Celebrity as our first pick. However Celebrity have a couple of things we aren’t in love with..

Mainly On board charges are in US$ So we get hit with conversion and bank fees.

Well that’s what you get for living in Australia (or was it New Zealand, can’t remember!). Just kidding. Hope you’ve been doing well. Haven’t talked with you in quite some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well that’s what you get for living in Australia (or was it New Zealand, can’t remember!). Just kidding. Hope you’ve been doing well. Haven’t talked with you in quite some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

the lines under the Carnival umbrella charge in proper Aussie dollars. Doesn’t stop us cruising celebrity from time to time, just a Minor annoyance.

Hope you’re keeping well.

the lines under the Carnival umbrella charge in proper Aussie dollars. Doesn’t stop us cruising celebrity from time to time, just a Minor annoyance.

Hope you’re keeping well.

Have to ask: do other lines charge in improper Aussie dollars?

And, just how is propriety determined -- is there a generally accepted standard, or is it more of a subjective thing?

The perk thing has become a marketing ploy, and one newer player (MSC) has taken very smart advantage of the situation. MSC is actually a huge Italian company with very deep pockets. Unlike all the US cruise lines (mostly owned by RCI or CCL)....MSC is privately held and seem to be thinking long term rather then just making a few extra dollars today (they have 10 new ships under construction or option). MSC is just beginning to tap the Caribbean market and will soon have their 2nd large ship cruising out of Florida. But in order to get around all this perk hype....MSC has a "match" program will they will give you equal status with their line....based on your status with any other line (or hotel chain). For example, we simply e-mailed them proof that we are 5 Star Mariners (HAL) and within two weeks were granted "Black" status with MSC...which is their highest past passenger level. With that line, the past status gets you a 5% discount (off any cruise) for starters and a bunch of other perks once aboard. In a sense it makes a mockery out of all this past cruiser stuff.

Hank

The perk thing has become a marketing ploy, and one newer player (MSC) has taken very smart advantage of the situation. MSC is actually a huge Italian company with very deep pockets. Unlike all the US cruise lines (mostly owned by RCI or CCL)....MSC is privately held and seem to be thinking long term rather then just making a few extra dollars today (they have 10 new ships under construction or option). MSC is just beginning to tap the Caribbean market and will soon have their 2nd large ship cruising out of Florida. But in order to get around all this perk hype....MSC has a "match" program will they will give you equal status with their line....based on your status with any other line (or hotel chain). For example, we simply e-mailed them proof that we are 5 Star Mariners (HAL) and within two weeks were granted "Black" status with MSC...which is their highest past passenger level. With that line, the past status gets you a 5% discount (off any cruise) for starters and a bunch of other perks once aboard. In a sense it makes a mockery out of all this past cruiser stuff.

Hank

Okay, that is pretty cool. If you have good status with another line, they can “steal” your business with a status match. That is some savvy marketing!

Hank

Great information. I didn’t know that. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
We are loyal to five, some more than others! Itinerary, price, deals, perks - they all come into play. Each line has things you will really like, and some things you will shrug your shoulders and ask "Why?" Play the field until you find one that hits most of your priorities!

Princess does do Alaska well. If you are doing Tracy Arm, take the excursion in the fjord where you actually get off the large ship onto a smaller boat that takes you up close and personal. It is spectacular! Princess does food pretty well, too. [iMHO, Royal Caribbean does not do food as well!]

I think NCL does the Tracy Arm too. We love the excursion that goes on the smaller boat!! We've done it numerous times!

The main cruise lines are more similar than they are different. You’ve picked a good one for Alaska, though. We choose the line that best fits the destination, not the line. After 30 years of cruising we are now affiliated with several cruise loyalty programs as more of a coincidence rather than a goal.

Enjoy your first cruise. The perks aren’t worth planning around. If you get the cruise bug as many have on this thread, perks will come your way regardless.

First I like to say very well said by Hank.

I myself have about 40 cruises here on 8 different lines and must say they are all different and change quickly so why I tend not to be very loyal to any.

As an example I use to love NCL and then one year got a bad experience and gave them an 11 year break before returning on them and thought the had change for the better.

The ship,the staff and the crowd also makes it very different from one cruise to an other. Sometimes same line different ship and it seems like an other company.

Choose what you think is good at that moment like itinerary,dates,prices and ships and you won’t be wrong.

For us no matter what happens being on a cruise ship is what we love so we always make the best out of it.

Have fun and sleep around lol lol.

Sea ya

Eric

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Forums

Thank you for your insight and for taking the time to write this. Very helpful.

Let me start by saying we have been cruising for forty years on over 100 cruises (far more then 1000 days on ships) on 14 cruise lines (the 15th is booked) and over 60 different ships (we have lost count). When you ask about "loyalty" we are already 5 Star Mariners with HAL, Elite with Princess, Elite Plus with Celebrity, Diamond with RCI, Black with MSC, etc. So we do have a good idea about the perks.

The shocker is that we are not "Loyal" to any cruise line, cruise agency, travel agency, etc. We simply follow the same philosophy we have had for forty years. We shop around (among cruise lines and cruise agencies) for the best deals. We also book some cruises because we love the itinerary (these cruises can be expensive). We now are retired and cruise 70-100 days a year and have 5 cruises under booking with 4 different cruise lines.

I tell you this not to boast, but to establish my bona fides....and say that we think "loyalty" is total bunk! I am not going to book an expensive cruise because the line gives me a few hundred internet minutes, a free stocked mini-bar, etc. And my ego does not need to be stroked by being invited to special parties (which we usually avoid), a silly tin Medallion (HAL has these), pins, etc.

So here is a fact. The cruise industry, cruise lines, ships, perks, etc. are dynamic (they are always changing). We used to be big fans of RCI (our daughter was Diamond before age 17)....but now avoid that line like the plague (we think they should rename one of their ships the "Plague of the Seas."). At one time we liked Princess, stopped cruising with them because of cut-backs and changes, and are now back cruising them because we think they learned the error of their ways, We have been big fans of Celebrity for the past decade, but our upcoming 21 day Celebrity cruise may be our last (with that line) unless they quickly reverse their negative plunge into the abyss.

My advice to the OP is to not overthink the issue of loyalty. Book each cruise (one at a time) because it meets your needs and wants...and then reexamine your needs and wants before booking the next cruise (or another travel option). Not only do the cruise lines change...bus so does the customer.

Hank

We are going on our first cruise in June, to Alaska on Princess.

Princess seems nice, but we chose it because my parents are coming with us and they like Princess a lot.

First, we must determine if we like cruising. Then, we will decide what comes next.

How do you choose?

No loyalty, the cruise lines don't care; enjoy...,

I know, I'm old school but, Just love the one your with;

I do like the private dining area for breakfast and lunch as well as free drinks in a specific lounge when you book a suite, or are a certain card level on some cruise lines. DH and I are not big drinkers so the drink package is an unnecessary expenses for us. I'd rather spend more for a suite and enjoy the amenities.

We have no loyalty to any line. The perks that you get are generally worthless if you compare the value of the perks w the value of a good cruise experience and they are worthless even if you do not do any comparisons. My decision tree is

1 - itinerary

2 - size of ship - to me any ship larger than 1000 pax or maybe 1500 in exceptional cases is an abomination

3 - minimum number of sea days - I hate sea days

4 - ship

5 - perks

6 - price with price being a distant 6th.

DON

DON

We have no loyalty to any line. The perks that you get are generally worthless if you compare the value of the perks w the value of a good cruise experience and they are worthless even if you do not do any comparisons. My decision tree is

1 - itinerary

2 - size of ship - to me any ship larger than 1000 pax or maybe 1500 in exceptional cases is an abomination

3 - minimum number of sea days - I hate sea days

4 - ship

5 - perks

6 - price with price being a distant 6th.

DON

DON

A good reference - I happen to like sea days, but number of sea days, either way, belongs at that level. Of course, the perks really is part of price - what you don't get as a perk you can buy at a price.