Let's talk about motion sickness

lesey

We are on our first cruise next march and we are interested in these sea bands . What is it that they do to help. We are in the aft two bedroom suite will looking out the back cause any issues like the old days of station wagons with the rear seat facing out . Yes I am old to remember those cars

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sea bands apply pressure to pressure points that prevent nausea. I use them and they work for me. Hit Google for more info.

I have used the Dr prescribed patches, ginger root, essential oils, and Seabands. Eat crackers and fruit. Stay hydrated. I find for me personally being close to mid ship and middle level is better.

Use what you are comfortable with. I have used a variety of things as I have traveled pregnant and could not use some solutions. What I have used also depends on the location of our cabin and the cruise location. Smooth sailing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

Some people get sick and some don't. The key is not too get sick in the first place. I always took Bonine before I stepped on the ship and took it for 3 more days into the cruise. Also I always booked a cabin in the middle of ship. If I did feel a little something coming on I would get some fresh air and drink some Ginger Ale. The main thing is. Once you get sick the pills won't do anything to take away being sick then. Good luck and have a great time.

I'm Canadian and one day we will definitely tour the east coast of this beautiful country, can't wait to see Newfoundland

On the medicine front, as a Canadian take note that you can't get the bonamine/meclazine that many will mention here. I have no idea why, but it is NOT available in Canada.

However, it is far superior to Gravol. Gravol puts me to sleep - meclazine on the other hand works great without this side effect.

Not sure what cruise line you are sailing on, but RCI gives out meclazine for free in the medical centre, and occasionally at guest services. Not sure about other cruise lines.

If you fear you are going to be susceptible to motion sickness go IMMEDIATELY upon boarding and try to get some from the medbay. Take it right away as it takes a few hours to work, and if you get sick...it's too late.

But as others have mentioned, you may find you don't get sick on a ship. It's a different kind of movement. I get sick on ferries, whale watching boats, catamarans...just about anything <250 feet that I'm not captaining for that matter, but have never been sick on a cruise ship, even in some pretty wild seas on a few memorable cruises.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never had a problem with motion sickness but I have also not been on a lot of boats and had never been on a cruise before... I was leery of Dramamine or Bonine as I am very sensitive to medicine that makes you drowsy (one Benadryl and I' knocked out for a few hours). So I went to Walmart and after some looking around I decided to pick up a bottle of Dramamine Non-Drowsy Naturals with Natural Ginger. It was cheap ($3) for a little bottle so I picked it up and brought it with us. On the second to last day of our 7 day cruise our boat was very rocky (thanks to Nate) and after feeling a little queasy for a few hours I decided to give the pills a shot... I took two and about 30mins later I was feeling much better and it didn't make me sleepy at all.