MSC vs celebrity

boldfish

I believe you should take a chance if you're talking about the Caribbean. We did the Divina in 2015, and loved it. We're booked on the Seaside for next year. By the way, I'm emerald on Royal, so that has been my line of choice.If you sre talking about anywhere else, I can't honestly advise you, because I don't know their ships or their policies.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2552408

I suggest you read my recent blog from an RCI/X cruisers POV.

If it is cheap enough I would recommend giving it a go. But be prepared for differences!

It is a very interesting blog. We would also be unhappy with the European itineraries with folks embarking/disembarking at lots of ports. However, MSC does not do that on their Caribbean itineraries. But you mention the "class" system and I do think you are not considering that Celebrity has its own class system. You have Aqua Class with their own dining room (Blu) and the Suites with their own dining room (Luminaire) not to mention Michael's which is a separate lounge (with many privileges) for those in suites. And then you have the three major drink packages, and those that book the dining packages in order to avoid the main dining room. There does seem to be an industry-wide trend towards establishing some of the class distinction that used to be part of the cruise industry.

As a very frequent cruiser (on many lines) we actually think this class system is fine. It makes sense that those willing to pay more money should be able to get a return on their investment. The trick is to do this without making the other passengers feel like 2nd class citizens. We think that MSC has a very interesting concept with their different categories...at its lets each cruiser select the package that best meets their personal needs and budget. Whether this concept will work (in the long term) is the question.

Hank

I believe you should take a chance if you're talking about the Caribbean. If you sre talking about anywhere else, I can't honestly advise you, because I don't know their ships or their policies.

The OP mentions a 17 day duration which sounds more like a Grand Voyage than a Caribbean cruise.

We did a Celebrity cruise in a Sky Suite once - never again! It doesn't come near anything that the Yacht Club on MSC offers for a much lower price. Sure, there are a couple of things that YC doesn't (e.g. no in-suite dining) but, at least the water provided in the cabin is free - unlike even in a suite on X where you have to pay for it. The mini-bar is also included in YC - also not included on X.

We have usually sailed Celebrity or RCL but have found a good deal on this line for seventeen days. Wondering if we should just take a chance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hard to say...as you are not telling us if this is a "Grand Voyage" or other. You are not telling us what level experience you would like to book. You have not told us which ship you are looking at??? :confused: