Indian Pacific

mhb1757

We wanted to see some non coastal areas of Australia and we are looking at adding the 4 day Indian Pacific rail trip post cruise from Sydney to Perth. Has anyone done this trip and do you think it would be worth the extra investment in time and $$?

We've done thew Ghan which is the north-south version (Adelaide to Darwin) of the Indian Pacific and absolutely loved it. So whilst the route is not the same, the service is. We had the gold cabin which has the upper and lower bunk for sleeping and a small bathroom - more than adequate. There's also the Platinum cars which look great (proper double bed), albeit a bit pricey for us. The food in the dining car was really quite good considering and the off train excursions were well organised. It was quite a relaxing trip and nice to sit back and watch the passing scenery.

I looked into doing the Indian Pacific rail trip in 2013, since we had a cruise that started in Perth and ended in Sydney.

The cost of the trip put me off and the more that I read on travel websites like cc, the less I wanted to spend 3.5 days looking a mostly bare outback scenery.

I have done the Indian Pacific from Sydney to Perth - one of the greatest long distance train trips in the world and absolutely loved it and would love to do it again.

Friends have recently done the same train trip and also loved it, but didn't think it was worth the extra cost for platinum level. So, if you decide to go, book a lower level cabin.

Thanks for these responses. We are definitely looking at the gold accommodations, platinum is a bit out of the budget. Looks like it might be a delightful addition to the trip.

Have just learnt that friends are going for an 80th birthday celebration in gold class. Seems it has bunks. Not sure if that would be a problem.

A few years ago, we did the Ghan from Darwin to Adelaide, then the Indian Pacific to Sydney.

We thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and yes, Gold Class had bunk beds. The attendant converted the seating area to bunks while we were at dinner, then while at breakfast changed the beds back to the seat.

Pack what you will need on the train into a small cabin size bag, all large luggage goes into the separate luggage compartment.

• 2 weeks later...
We wanted to see some non coastal areas of Australia and we are looking at adding the 4 day Indian Pacific rail trip post cruise from Sydney to Perth. Has anyone done this trip and do you think it would be worth the extra investment in time and $$?

If you can book ahead, or are eligible for a seniors discount then its more reasonable.

The Indian Pacific, a great train journey, gold class is good, but platinum is just too dear, compared to cruising in a suite.

We did it as a once in lifetime trip some years ago. and were going to take the car and drive back home. but alas the car was to tall to go from Sydney, so in the end drove to Adelaide left the car got on the train to Sydney ( had lunch in Sydney ) then back on the train to Perth and they put the car on in Adelaide.

It was back in day where is was coach class ( sitting up in a seat ) holiday class ( very small cabin ) and first class ( similar to gold class ) and first class deluxe ( one cabin per train )

It was amazing the cabin had a double bed ( not fold up), bathroom, tables and chairs, fridge, tv, tea and coffee making facilities ( about the size of 3 first class cabins ).

It you like train travel go the Indian Pacific

Cheers Don

Have just learnt that friends are going for an 80th birthday celebration in gold class. Seems it has bunks. Not sure if that would be a problem.

80 year old couple have just returned home and they loved the train trip. They didn't sleep the first night, because of the noise of train travel, but soon adapted.

There's also the gold superior cabin which has more space than the normal gold, along with an oversized lower bunk which could almost sleep two smaller guests together (still has the upper bunk as well though as a back up). Re Senior's Discounts, I don't think they are offering them anymore from 2018 (maybe April onwards), that's what they told me anyway. Prices are also going up quite bit so they must be doing really well!

The Federal Government withdrew it's concessions for the Indian Pacific and the Ghan some couple of years ago - I remember Tim Fischer (Ex Deputy PM at one time) being quoted as saying the Government should not be in the business of giving pensioners etc concessions to travel on the train but he probably got a "Gold Pass" for the train for his lifetime being an ex member of the Federal Parliament (and a ticket for his wife) - what a sham?

I know I travelled on Gold Class some years ago on the train Perth to Adelaide and got a good concession at that time as a TPI veteran of the Vietnam War - but we had to paid a supplement for our meals. We sat with an ex Politician from the WA Government at meal times and guess what - free unlimited Gold Class travel on the train (ie He could take as many trips as they liked including the wife) and everything paid for, no supplement for the food etc.

I think the perk for WA politicians (well probably for those now in Parliament) has now being withdrawn as there was a public outcry a couple of years ago when the "perk" became public knowledge.