River Cruise with Teens - cabins on different floors?

sharse

I've been reading these boards and doing some research, but haven't yet decided on a cruise line or itinerary. Leaning towards a Rhine itinerary in the summer, however. Maybe with Tauck. My question is about the cabins, as I realize we will have to purchase two. (In our past experiences in the Caribbean we've always had only one cabin for all 4 of us.)

These ships are so much smaller, of course, so I'm wondering if it would be perfectly fine to have one cabin for my teens (13 and 15) on a lower level (cheaper!) and my husband and I upstairs in one with a balcony. I would feel a bit nervous doing that on a large ocean going vessel, but would it be fine on a river cruise?

Any other tips or suggestions about a European river cruise with two teen boys would be most welcomed. Thanks!

gnome12,

that was one of my first thoughts as well.

sharse,

may I suggest that you perhaps reconsider saving money on this and give your boys the same lovely view you will have? Tauck has got some great kids stuff but other companies cater for teenagers these days as well. If they are adventurous enough to try different foods you can easily have a look at other companies that sometimes have reductions or are overall cheaper, as they are not all-inclusive or have other ways of making it possible to offer their river cruises at a competitive price. I am thinking of Uniworld, ARosa and CroisiEurope. The last two are European so will have food stuffs that might be new for you.

I would not choose Viking travelling with teenagers.

The Rhine is a great river to explore especially if they like history and castles. Remember that evening activities are very low key and you mostly sail late evening and through the night so being off the ship then is not an option. Many companies on the Rhine have one night docked in a town but you would need to look at individual itineraries for that. It could be Amsterdam or Cologne or even the last night already docked in Basel, your final destination (or vice versa, depending on the direction of travel).

Just to make this clearer, on almost all ships the lowest class has windows that cannot be opened and are close to the waterline, next up are French balconies or balconies. I would not choose a balcony as one is so often off the ship or on the sundeck - or docked to another ship - that I could not justify the expense of a balcony that I can stand or even sit on. I find French balconies fine.

If your boys are tech fans see if you can find an itinerary that has an optional tour to the Technical Museum in Speyer. In Koblenz there is a railway museum (limited opening times) and Cologne, I am sure, has some interesting stuff in that direction, too.

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

I can say that my parents would have done that with me & my brother in a heartbeat when we were that age. It's literally a 3 minute walk among decks on river ships and we were well behaved and would not have annoyed the neighbors. I can't answer for you & your kids, nor weather the cruiseline will allow 2 minors to share their own cabin - most ocean cruiselines will not, right?

[my mom sent me off on my own in Paris & London when I was 14... "Do you have money, and the subway map? OK, be back at the hotel by 4 - this was pre-cell phones too ;-)]

From the Tauck web site:

Children less than 18 years of age must be booked in a room with at least one adult; exceptions may be granted under certain circumstances with parental consent. Quadruple accommodations are not available for four persons 18 and older. There are no child discounts on this tour. Tauck Travel Protection is not discounted for children.

Edited by FuelScience

How well do your kids behave when you aren't around? There will be other people next to them and across the hall. Will they be disturbing others?

If I thought they'd be disrespectful or disruptive I wouldn't have ever considered this arrangement in the first place.

If I thought they'd be disrespectful or disruptive I wouldn't have ever considered this arrangement in the first place.

Interesting where some people jump to. ...hmmm?

My first thought was...how wonderful...what an experience for young people...so much history, technology ( going through locks). Give them the chance to be independent,but not too far from parents. And yes, put them in aquarium class and save a few €. Then spend it on experiences they would never get in school.

There are some cruise lines that have multi generational cruises specifically for families with special tours and adventures....perhaps they allow putting under 18s alone in cabins ?

As an aside, I find the behavior of younsters is usually a reflection of those of the parents....have we not had adults on our cruises that whine about everything, are demanding, rude, and are not someone we want to spend time with?

Have a great time, whatever cruise line you end up with. Have the kids report on this board...would love to read about the trip from their point of view.

RB

From the Tauck web site:

Children less than 18 years of age must be booked in a room with at least one adult; exceptions may be granted under certain circumstances with parental consent. Quadruple accommodations are not available for four persons 18 and older. There are no child discounts on this tour. Tauck Travel Protection is not discounted for children.

That's the same as ocean cruises and there are ways to deal with it. If the kids behave which really, what can they do, the lower level is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You may find, as mentioned above, that you will have to book an adult into each cabin when making the reservation, but subject to approval, once on board you may be able to change that around.

Approval? No you don't ask for approval. You just go about your business and don't give anyone reason to notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Remembered late last night about the connecting cabins on AmaWaterways, good of caviargal to remember first. I very much like the idea of getting feedback from the boys, the cruise companies claim river cruises are getting more popular for families but it would be good to hear it from the travellers themselves. :)

As regards accommodation: Just to compare, I had a look at the CroisiEurope brochure for the US and the conditions do not state that an adult has to stay with a minor in one room, only that noone under the age of 18 can travel alone.

Summer is a busy time in Europe with children being on holiday from end of June to beginning of September, depending on country and region, lots of languages about from tourists from around the world (you would not believe how popular the Rhine gorge is in Japan!) and great fun for your boys I am sure.

Just remembered, there is an excellent leisure park called Europa park near Breisach on the German side of the Rhine, ARosa has that an optional outing perhaps other companies with children's programmes go there, too: http://www.europapark.de/en

notamermaid

We've done exactly that with my teens on two ocean cruises. I'd not hesitate to do it on a river cruise. The ship is so much smaller, they really won't be that far away. Book an adult in the cabin but who actually sleeps where is your business. It can get tricky depending on what else you use your key for, and we had to get "parent cards" ostensibly to let the other parent in the room. It opened the door but couldn't be used to check on/off the ship etc.

Are you looking at a Tauck Bridges tour for families? I'd looked at those for our family as well.

Consider a Crystal Penthouse on the Crystal river yachts. You get two bedrooms and a living room in-between the two. They price the accommodation for 2 persons which is why it is expensive even though the two bedrooms take 4 persons. Add 2 more people, and the costs divides down. Worth exploring as an option.

The one downside is that Crystal is all-inclusive and your kids will not be able to consume the complimentary alcoholic drinks.

Seen this option used for families with kids of all ages.

• 4 weeks later...

Jumping in on this thread... we are already booked on Viking Rhine River Cruise Amsterdam to Basel April 1, 2018. We are taking 3 of our kids who will be 12,13 and 18 when we go. Only 2 people per room, so booking shows me with daughter, husband with son, and the 18 yo has his own room. Where everyone will actually sleep... that will all work out. We REALLY splurged and got the suite, but the other two rooms are down below. I have no worries about the kids behaving and being respectful. (I am looking forward to some old-fashioned family game nights in the suite, bringing cards and games for entertainment.)

I am curious why notamermaid specifically says no to Viking? Have I missed something significant? But thank you for the suggestion of Europa Park. I will definitely look into that!

Hello FamReunionCruiser,

I have just had a look back at my post and must admit I should have explained this then. A belated explanation here. From what past cruisers have reported it appears that of all the lines Viking has the overall oldest demographic and they company has stated clearly that they cater more for older people rather than families, active people, etc. There is no gym on the longships.

So for a family I would not choose Viking, which does not mean to say you will not have a great time. Family game night in the suite sounds great!

And did you realise that you will be on the Rhine at Easter? You could even organize an Easter egg hunt.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

• 5 months later...
Hello FamReunionCruiser,

And did you realise that you will be on the Rhine at Easter? You could even organize an Easter egg hunt.

Easter Egg hunt? They're teen age boys, not three year olds.

We traveled all over the world with our sons when they were still at home, and they were excellent, experienced travelers from a very early age, but I'd never dream of putting two teen age boys on a river cruise for almost two weeks, among a bunch of "seniors" and with virtually no entertainment. Just doesn't sound like an ideal family vacation.

I do hope it turns out well for you, though. Please report back once the cruise is over.

Easter Egg hunt? They're teen age boys, not three year olds.

Kenster- I think notamermaid was responding to the family that has 3 kids, one being a girl.

We have had Easter egg hunts when our kids were in their 20's...maybe just because they were girls. Classic pictures of the goofy outfits they and boyfriends (very willing participants) would wear. Hockey jerseys with feather boa's and dresses, silly hats.

Also, they leave in 10 days, it's all booked and paid for. You sound negative to their decision. At this point, why? Maybe when they asked back in October, and your input could have changed their mind.... but 6 months later?

Famreunion- have a blast. Please do let us know how it went. My girls felt pampered when we were on Viking. I know it's not fancy compared to some of the other lines, but when you're use to camping, this is pretty sweet. :)

Also, they leave in 10 days, it's all booked and paid for. You sound negative to their decision. At this point, why? Maybe when they asked back in October, and your input could have changed their mind.... but 6 months later?

I don't see anything to indicate that the OP ever booked. She said they were considering it for this upcoming summer. That's all that she posted. I wouldn't have said anything if I had known it was already booked.

Not agreeing with what they want to do is not really being negative. Some people post here looking for opinions. Not everyone's opinion will be the same. I travel with groups of teenagers for a living. Several hundred each year spread out over several tours. I also taught high school for several years. I don't know the OP's sons, but I do know teens pretty well. It is my opinion that many, if not most, teenage boys would be bored on a river cruise. You rarely see adults younger than 40 on board, much less teenagers. A big, ocean going cruise ship with all sorts of activities and programs aimed at teens would be fantastic. A river cruise ship whose entertainment highlight each evening is a pianist playing hits from the 60s? Not so much, in my opinion.

I don't see anything to indicate that the OP ever booked.

Post 18: "Jumping in on this thread... we are already booked on Viking Rhine River Cruise Amsterdam to Basel April 1, 2018."

It wasn't the OP who booked, it was Famreunion, the people who I wished a nice trip too....they sail 1 April. Since they were the last people sailing to post, figured you were referring to them.

Post 18: "Jumping in on this thread... we are already booked on Viking Rhine River Cruise Amsterdam to Basel April 1, 2018."

It wasn't the OP who booked, it was Famreunion, the people who I wished a nice trip too....they sail 1 April. Since they were the last people sailing to post, figured you were referring to them.

Ah, I see. No. My thoughts were addressed to the OP with the teen age sons.