Handicapped parking @ Port of Miami

emandjennsmom

Just a heads up...

Effective November 15, 2013 only vehicles with a lift or hand controls will be allowed to park for free at the Port of Miami. All other vehicles with handicapped plates/placards will be charged $20 a day.

I just thought I would post so those that have taken advantage of the free parking before can be prepared to pay.

• 1 month later...

You don't have to have the toll exemption BUT the vehicle has to be modified. I have a Dodge Caravan with a Braun Conversion, it has a lowered floor with a fold out ramp so it qualifies. FYI ALL cruise terminals AND airports in Florida have this also.

Sherry

You are correct, including a modified vehicle set by State standards would also get free parking, but not any vehicle with just a handicap placard, or handicap plate as of Nov. 2013!

I worded it this way because most modified vehicles get the State waiver as well, but true, some may not!

• 1 year later...

I have a question regarding what is considered a modified vehicle. I have a trailer hitch rack with ramp to transport my mobility scooter, is this a qualifying modification for free parking? I also have state issued DAV handicap plates on my car.

Any info would is greatly appreciated.

• 2 years later...

All of these replys were several years ago. Has anyone recently - 2017 - parked free at the Port of Miami. My van is specially equipped with ramp, etc, and has TEXAS Disabled License plates. Does this qualify for free parking. I contacted the port directly but was just directed to a website with lots of references to Florida statues which did not make sense. So if anyone knows first hand what they really do or allow, please let me know. We cruise out of Miami on Oct. 20. Thanks

Most importantly, have all your necessary paperwork in hand along with your modified HC vehicle. Within this past year I returned to Miami after a one month RT transatlantic cruises. The attendant wasn't too sharp and insisted that the big red lights that said my bill was $650 had to be paid under any circumstances. I had the HC tag, the HC rack on the back, my parking stub, the HC windshield placard with my name on it and my drivers license. Unfortunately, I couldn't locate my registration certificate.

I refused to pay. She finally decided to call a supervisor who apparently told her to go ahead and process it as free parking. But, oh, what a terrifying nightmare!

Some of these attendants are incapable of exercising common sense or using reasonable judgment. Plan ahead.

All of these replys were several years ago. Has anyone recently - 2017 - parked free at the Port of Miami. My van is specially equipped with ramp, etc, and has TEXAS Disabled License plates. Does this qualify for free parking. I contacted the port directly but was just directed to a website with lots of references to Florida statues which did not make sense. So if anyone knows first hand what they really do or allow, please let me know. We cruise out of Miami on Oct. 20. Thanks

When I first learned of the free parking at Miami I read up a little on it. It is available at all Florida ports and I think at airports too. I'm not really certain about the airports. Free disability port parking is a Florida law.

When I first learned of the free parking at Miami I read up a little on it. It is available at all Florida ports and I think at airports too. I'm not really certain about the airports. Free disability port parking is a Florida law.

This is true to an extent, here is what the ports web site says.

For Disabled Persons

Miami-Dade County Ordinance requires all guests with a disabled parking permit or license tag to pay standard parking rates except as provided by Florida State Law. However, two hours of complimentary parking will be provided to vehicles displaying a disabled parking permit or license tag.

In accordance with Florida Statute 316.1964, ONLY vehicles with specialized equipment such as ramps, lifts, foot or hand controls, for use by a person with a disability, or any vehicle that is displaying the “DV” license plate issued under s. 320.084 or the Florida Toll Exemption permit, is exempt from parking charges.