What one thing was UNNECESSARY?

jko121

Super excited! We are taking our first ever cruise in December to celebrate by 40th birthday! As I'm looking through all these "MUST" pack lists, it makes me wonder :confused: ...

What was the one item you packed that you thought you HAD to have with you... but then never used and was a waste of space?

We put everything in the living room floor to pack. Then we put half of it back in the closet. That is what we take. Women take too many shoes, men take too many shorts and slacks. We have come back with items not used and make notes of them for the next time. Best way is put half back in the closet and go from there. If you must use the ship's laundry facilities with a roll of quarters.

I agree that many of the items that are listed on this board as a must pack, really aren't.

I'll take clothes out of my closet to see what I want to take...and then put most back. And put more back. I also don't worry about matching shoes...but then, I'm not a shoe person and would be happy wearing flat sandals the whole time.

I never go by those "lists"...and you shouldn't, either. Pack what you would normally take on vacation to the climate you'll be in....

Caribbean cruises, pack like you would for the beach...and take a couple nice things for dinner.

You don't need duct tape, or bungee cords or folding chairs or tables.....I swear, some of the stuff folks bring amazes me!

Bring half as many clothes, and twice as much money!

Shoes for me. Last cruise I only brought a couple of pairs, and that was plenty. I've also brought too many dressy clothes in the past, and too much jewelry; unless you're a real fashionista, you can get away with wearing dressy outfits more than once.

I'd be sure to have some single dollar bills with you to tip room service if you use it, and if you are planning to do laundry on the ship, bring the little detergent pods instead of liquid or powder.

Too much clothing! Too many people go clothes shopping specifically for their cruise.....stupid and a waste of $ ! No one is looking nor cares about how you look. Double duty clothing and take what you presently own. My husband and I go to the goodwill and have gotten great clothing articles and if need be if suitcases are heavy from souvenirs we leave thrift store items on the ship! We got smart with years of cruisin experience.

Amazing what you can get away with packing in 1 suitcase pp!

Leave priceless expensive jewelry at home......use costume jewelry

Pick up a luggage scale......a must have item

Two specific things I read that were recommended for cruising that I took on my first cruise, but never again: Empty tote bag to carry home purchases -- we found out that shopping on cruises is not worth it. Also a collapsible "cooler" (thermal picnic bag) thinking we would take food off the ship on beach days. Never used it. Never took food off the ship.

Super excited! We are taking our first ever cruise in December to celebrate by 40th birthday! As I'm looking through all these "MUST" pack lists, it makes me wonder :confused: ...

What was the one item you packed that you thought you HAD to have with you... but then never used and was a waste of space?

That 'over the door' organiser that so many people say is a necessity was a total waste of space for me. Neither my husband nor I used it. I've never packed it again.

Gosh we used that over the door organizer like it was the best thing ever! Cruised Azamara and there was very little space on counter and shelves for toiletries of 2 people so that thing came in handy. My husband and I must use alot of beauty products!;)

For me, it was clubbing clothes. That means nice jeans and those striped shirts that many guys wear to non-upscale clubs. I packed them, but never wore them. The nightclub on the ship had no dress code to speak of; almost no one dressed up. Most people simply wore shorts and T-shirts, although a few women wore sundresses. Lesson learned.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

We've done b2b cruises with only one suitcase each. I take like 2-3 pairs of capris for the entire two weeks and a few shirts and just alternate. formal nite=black slacks, nice blouse - worn for both formal nights with sandals. 2 bathing suits/coverup; few shorts w/sleeveless shirts...less clothes the better; can wear everything more than 3x - no one cares what your wearing and you'll never see these people again(most likely) no shampoo, soap, conditioner- cabin has these items.

I have my own packing lists for what exactly we need to pack into each suitcase. Everything we pack get used.

Unfortunately since HAL changed their brand of shampoo and conditioners, now I have to pack our own. DH takes many medications and one of them reacted with the Elemis products and he broke out in a terrible rash.

One person's "must have" is another person's "don't need it". I've found that by grouping related things together, such as dress shirt with dress pants, swimwear with sunblock, etc., I'm less likely to over pack, and less likely to forget something that I'll need.

Things I have taken on a cruise that I do not need:

1. 10 pair of shoes

2. over the door organizer...waste of space. Assuming there are 2 of you all your toiletries will fit on the bathroom shelves.......if not then you are taking too many toiletries.

3. too much jewelry..I don't need a different bracelet every day like I thought I would.

I took shorts and rarely wore them - instead wore summery skirts most the time.

Hubby also took too many shorts and slacks.

We never planned to pack the duct tape, bungee cords, storage cubbies, whistle, all that stuff....

I agree with the skirts (and sundresses). So much nicer and more comfortable than shorts. I do bring the over-the-door-storage. In fact, I pack it before I leave with toiletries, make-up etc. and fold it over on itself on the bottom of my suitcase. Lift it out and hang it up - it's invaluable. I did have the opportunity to use duct tape once when a zipper on a suitcase broke.

We are chronic over packers, and always return with unused shirts, pants/shorts, and under garments. We always think we are going to change outfits more than we do. If you are cruising to warm weather, you will wear a bathing suit and t-shirt more than you plan. So, cut out the casual clothes.

We do, however, do formal night, and we think that is half the fun of a cruise, so I do pack one suit, a pair of dress shoes, and two different ties.

As for essentials, there are definitely some accessories, like a good camera and sunglasses, regardless of what cruise region, you should bring. There are also some common household items we always pack, including plenty of wrinkle release, there are no irons, and a power surge so you have extra outlets.

As an author of one of "those" packing lists; I want to stress to everyone . . .

Not everything on the lists are necessary!

When packing lists are developed, many of us include anything that someone has suggested. Especially if they included an explanation of why they felt it was useful.

Please take whatever list you choose and filter it to suit your needs (not wants).

Example: The pocket style, over-the-door, shoe holder (organizer).

Some cruisers swear by them. Others swear at them.

Again, the lists are merely suggestions.

Two specific things I read that were recommended for cruising that I took on my first cruise, but never again: Empty tote bag to carry home purchases -- we found out that shopping on cruises is not worth it. Also a collapsible "cooler" (thermal picnic bag) thinking we would take food off the ship on beach days. Never used it. Never took food off the ship.

I've never read that a cooler has been suggested. You can't take food off this ship in most ports anyway. Unless it is prepackaged and still sealed such as trail mix or nuts. But those wouldn't need to be kept cool. Though there were times I wish I had some snacks with me from the ship.

I've never read that a cooler has been suggested. You can't take food off this ship in most ports anyway. Unless it is prepackaged and still sealed such as trail mix or nuts. But those wouldn't need to be kept cool. Though there were times I wish I had some snacks with me from the ship.

And this is exactly what I did not know as a first time cruiser! :) I am pretty sure I did not read this cooler suggestion on a CC list -- CC members would have known better! I must have read it before I discovered CC. The idea seemed very reasonable to me at the time: I am paying for food in my cruise fare -- if I go to a port, I don't want to have to pay for food I could have gotten "for free" on board, so I will just "brown bag it." In the end, I never attempted this, so I was never stopped exiting the ship for taking food off.