Panama Canal Excursions - Which do you recommend?

kandj05

If you have taken the Panama Canal cruise, which excursions did you take? More importantly, do you recommend the excursion you took or would you tell me to save my money? My DH and I like to hire our own taxi excursions to take us around but sometimes this is not advisable, so your input is appreciated.

If you have taken the Panama Canal cruise, which excursions did you take? More importantly, do you recommend the excursion you took or would you tell me to save my money? My DH and I like to hire our own taxi excursions to take us around but sometimes this is not advisable, so your input is appreciated.

Are you doing a full or partial transit?

If full transit most cruise line don't have excursions in the Panama.

Kamloops question as to whether you are on a full or partial transit is really key... can give a much more accurate answer to your question knowing which cruise you are taking.

If you are on a full transit cruise and by chance your cruise has a port call in Panama in addition to your transit, while there is nothing inherently unsafe about hoping in a cab... just realize that going this route is going to be very basic. If you have not reserved a tour with a reputable tour operator or opted for a ship's excursion you really should consider that hiring a cab as providing just transportation to where you wish to go. Panama is truly rich in history and most cabbies at best could only give you a very loose Reader's Digest version of what you are looking at, while not mentioning that often English is not their strong suit!

FYI, on full transits Celebrity and Royal Caribbean offer a full day stop in Panama in addition to your transit. Princess and HAL offer this option on some of their itineraries, I don't know about NCL or Carnival.

Only Colon is in Panama. Puerto Vallarta is covered extensively on the Mexican Rivera board. Similarly, Cartagena is covered on the Columbia board, Puerto Quertzal on the Guatemala board and Puntareanas on the Costa Rica board.

As we don't know your interests, limitations and budget, it is hard to give you recommendations.

I apologize for the confusion. We are stopping at Puerto Vallarta, Colon, Puerto Quetzal, Puntarenas, and Cartagena. These are truly the ports I am asking what excursions people recommend.

Since the Canal and Panama are subjects I am much more familiar with, I will just point out some of the highlights if the other port calls. I go into much more detail for Panama (Colon) at the end.

I sort of took the day off in Puerta Vallarta and did not do much... but if you are feeling a little homesick across the street from the pier there is a pretty big Wal-Mart! I'm kidding about going there, but it does seem surreal.

There really is not a whole to do in Puerto Quetzal unless you take a tour. Going to Antigua near Guatemala City in the highlands is very popular. Wonderfully preserved old city with some cooler weather, something you really don't expect to find on a cruise to the tropics.

Puntarenas, I never took any of the longer tours into San Jose or into the Volcanic parks... stayed nearer to the coast, cruised the Tarcoles River where they had some the biggest crocodiles I have seen in the wild. On another cruise we went to a nice little town (I think it was Orotina) in the foothills and entertained by folkloric dances, music and such. Stopped in a fairly typical roadside restaurant that provided a great view of the ship in Puntarenas off in the distance. By the way the maduros (fried ripe plantain) fried yucca and tostones (or patacones depending on the country, which are double fried green plantain) were great as well! Don't worry... nothing healthy in any of those selections, but perhaps you can say it was all organic:D!

Cartagena, probably the old walled City will give you a great deal of history, going back to the Spanish Inquisition. Well preserved architecturally. You could also take in La Popa Monastery or the fortress of San Felipe which is certainly a very prominent fixture in Cartagena.

Colon; First the disclaimer... there is nothing for you to do in Colon. This particularly true if you would just like to hit the streets on your own. Other than the mall that is connected to the pier there is not anything for you to do or go on your own without the benefit of a tour or at least a taxi to take you somewhere. There are so many great things to do in Panama and it is a real shame Colon could not be more inviting.

Now that is out of the way, I'm not sure where to begin... I am going to assume that your stop in Colon is a full day stop either before or after your transit and not what is called a "technical" stop. Probably the tour that is going to be the most obvious choice would be the partial transit of the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut by "ferry." Unless you don't get enough Canal from your transit on your ship, then this tour is going to be a bit a repeat of your transit. You will be retracing a portion the exact route you were on during your transit. Now, for the Canal aficionado like me, that would not be a bad thing. However, I try to see things through other peoples likes and for some this could possibly be too much of the same thing.

Probably one of the most popular non-Canal related tour would be to the Embera Indians. Depending on which village that is visited, you can get really off the beaten path. For many this is as close to a National Geographic experience any of us ever get. I can't remember hearing anyone having significant negative comments about this tour.

There is another tour that depending on the cruise line is called the Shaping of Panama. This tour takes you to the Pacific side to Panama City where the ruins of Old Panama, Casco Antiguo along with modern Panama City are combined. Quite a contrast.

For the railroad buff there is always a ride on the first and the fastest... better make that first and the quickest transcontinental railroad in the Americas. A lot of history on those rails.

There are a number of other tours that are offered that you may be interested in, but the ones I mentioned are certainly the ones that attract the majority of cruisers. Be glad to elaborate the best I can on any of the Panama tours if you have any questions.

Thank you for the excursion ideas at the different ports. It helps knowing what ports we should truly take an excursion versus which ports I can hire my own guide.

I am definitely looking forward to this RCI cruise. It is also my DH and my first time of having a true aft room!!!

Jackie

We did the same itinerary except in reverse in November on the Infinity. I would recommend doing a tour to the old and new locks. They are both worth seeing. We did a private tour. At the new locks, there is a nice free movie about the new locks; as well as a large viewing area to watch the construction that is going on. You can see photos of what the you will see on a tour of both locks on our website, www.thepreismans.com.

Other than where we went, there didn't appear to be anything else to do other than shopping in the Free Trade Zone.

Since the Canal and Panama are subjects I am much more familiar with, I will just point out some of the highlights if the other port calls. I go into much more detail for Panama (Colon) at the end.

I sort of took the day off in Puerta Vallarta and did not do much... but if you are feeling a little homesick across the street from the pier there is a pretty big Wal-Mart! I'm kidding about going there, but it does seem surreal.

There really is not a whole to do in Puerto Quetzal unless you take a tour. Going to Antigua near Guatemala City in the highlands is very popular. Wonderfully preserved old city with some cooler weather, something you really don't expect to find on a cruise to the tropics.

Puntarenas, I never took any of the longer tours into San Jose or into the Volcanic parks... stayed nearer to the coast, cruised the Tarcoles River where they had some the biggest crocodiles I have seen in the wild. On another cruise we went to a nice little town (I think it was Orotina) in the foothills and entertained by folkloric dances, music and such. Stopped in a fairly typical roadside restaurant that provided a great view of the ship in Puntarenas off in the distance. By the way the maduros (fried ripe plantain) fried yucca and tostones (or patacones depending on the country, which are double fried green plantain) were great as well! Don't worry... nothing healthy in any of those selections, but perhaps you can say it was all organic:D!

Cartagena, probably the old walled City will give you a great deal of history, going back to the Spanish Inquisition. Well preserved architecturally. You could also take in La Popa Monastery or the fortress of San Felipe which is certainly a very prominent fixture in Cartagena.

Colon; First the disclaimer... there is nothing for you to do in Colon. This particularly true if you would just like to hit the streets on your own. Other than the mall that is connected to the pier there is not anything for you to do or go on your own without the benefit of a tour or at least a taxi to take you somewhere. There are so many great things to do in Panama and it is a real shame Colon could not be more inviting.

Now that is out of the way, I'm not sure where to begin... I am going to assume that your stop in Colon is a full day stop either before or after your transit and not what is called a "technical" stop. Probably the tour that is going to be the most obvious choice would be the partial transit of the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut by "ferry." Unless you don't get enough Canal from your transit on your ship, then this tour is going to be a bit a repeat of your transit. You will be retracing a portion the exact route you were on during your transit. Now, for the Canal aficionado like me, that would not be a bad thing. However, I try to see things through other peoples likes and for some this could possibly be too much of the same thing.

Probably one of the most popular non-Canal related tour would be to the Embera Indians. Depending on which village that is visited, you can get really off the beaten path. For many this is as close to a National Geographic experience any of us ever get. I can't remember hearing anyone having significant negative comments about this tour.

There is another tour that depending on the cruise line is called the Shaping of Panama. This tour takes you to the Pacific side to Panama City where the ruins of Old Panama, Casco Antiguo along with modern Panama City are combined. Quite a contrast.

For the railroad buff there is always a ride on the first and the fastest... better make that first and the quickest transcontinental railroad in the Americas. A lot of history on those rails.

There are a number of other tours that are offered that you may be interested in, but the ones I mentioned are certainly the ones that attract the majority of cruisers. Be glad to elaborate the best I can on any of the Panama tours if you have any questions.

Thank you for these information. These tours which you mentioned, are they ship excursions or private tours which can be hired at the dock of online?

Hello! We are on the Legend April 29 and just started research on tours/excursions in Cartagena, Colon, Puntarenas, Huatulco, not necessarily Cabo San Lucas and Ensenada.

Have you book any excursions to these places yet? Perhaps if you may, can you share them?

Thanks!

Hi BillB48...

Thanks for the excursion info but I'm particularly interested in Colon and do you mind if you expand a bit more about what to do in Colon?

We have a port stop in Colon from 9am-7pm. This happens a day before our full transit. Are you saying to do a partial transit of the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut by ferry would be redundant?

Thanks!

Thanks for the excursion info but I'm particularly interested in Colon and do you mind if you expand a bit more about what to do in Colon?

Other than the mall that is connected to the pier Colon really has nothing to offer, unfortunately it is the pits. Honestly, the only thing you can do there is leave the ship to take a tour as it is not the place you want set out and do a self guided tour. There isn't much historically significant or touristy there anyway. Colon is just the obstacle course you will need to negotiate on your way to what should be a great excursion.

We have a port stop in Colon from 9am-7pm. This happens a day before our full transit. Are you saying to do a partial transit of the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut by ferry would be redundant?

It could certainly be considered redundant by some, since you will cover some of the same ground on your full transit. I don't know if I said it in this thread or not, but I would not find it redundant... that is because my interest in the Canal is probably much higher than your average visitor. I think the thing that would be most interesting is to see the Gaillard Cut and the locks operation from the perspective of the smaller vessel. Being swallowed in the lock chamber, watching the enormous lock gate open/close to me has a completely different feel on a small vessel. While you are going through the locks on your ship, the process can almost feel removed, remote or even distant.

There are usually a great selection of excursions offered to get you through the mine field known as Colon... If you want more Canal centered tour other than the ferry, a trip to Gatun Locks and the construction of the new Atlantic expansion locks might be the ticket. A trip to the Pacific side to see the ruins of Old Panama, Casco Viejo which is all intertwined with modern Panama City. The skyline of Panama City is something that most people don't expect to see particularly after looking at Colon! Many cruisers rate the trip to visit the Embera Indians one of the best ever. Other tours that take you back in history could include a visit to Ft. San Lorenzo or to Portobelo.

You can certainly infer that Colon is not the most welcoming place for a visitor and I would not try to dissuade you from forming that opinion. However, please do not use that to avoid taking a tour as there is so much to see. There is absolutely nothing inherently unsafe about taking a tour or even catching one of the local cabs if you had a particular destination in mind, but I think an organized tour is the best option. I say organized tour is the best option only because many times a cabbie's English skills are not always that great and their narrations can be more in line with urban legends:D!

Here is an example of seeing the locks from a different point of view.

2iqzrf4.jpg

Thank you for these information. These tours which you mentioned, are they ship excursions or private tours which can be hired at the dock of online?

On those I used ship's excursions, you could probably put something similar together if you found a tour operator on line that you feel comfortable with. I usually only use the folks at the pier when I am familiar with the stop. On a lot of the tours on this cruise, not only in Panama but on other stops as well... they are some distance from the port, in some cases rather remote. In those instances I usually stick with ship tours.

• 2 weeks later...
Only Colon is in Panama. Puerto Vallarta is covered extensively on the Mexican Rivera board. Similarly, Cartagena is covered on the Columbia board, Puerto Quertzal on the Guatemala board and Puntareanas on the Costa Rica board.

As we don't know your interests, limitations and budget, it is hard to give you recommendations.

Where is this Costa Rica board? I looked in Ports of Call and Costa Rica is not listed, or if it is I am blind and don't see it. Is there a link someone could post? I cannot find it.

• 1 year later...
Where is this Costa Rica board? I looked in Ports of Call and Costa Rica is not listed, or if it is I am blind and don't see it. Is there a link someone could post? I cannot find it.

Thanks janey for asking that question and Bruce for answering. We've recently booked a Panama Canal cruise, and I've been searching for a Costa Rica board and surprised I couldn't find one on here! (And I'm not exactly a newbie to CC.) Never thought to look in the Caribbean forum. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know about fort San Lorenzo and if it is worth visiting?

We have done a partial transit, so know about the locks. We would like to see the new locks, but after that are not sure what to see/do. I read an awful review of a tour operator who was supposed to take people kayaking (?) then to the Embera Indians (which would be great), but the whole thing went full tilt due to low water levels (it was asked "didn't they know this before the day of the tour?")

Does anyone know anything about kayaking on Gatun Lake?

Does anyone know about fort San Lorenzo and if it is worth visiting?

We have done a partial transit, so know about the locks. We would like to see the new locks, but after that are not sure what to see/do. I read an awful review of a tour operator who was supposed to take people kayaking (?) then to the Embera Indians (which would be great), but the whole thing went full tilt due to low water levels (it was asked "didn't they know this before the day of the tour?")

Does anyone know anything about kayaking on Gatun Lake?

It is worth a visit since just seeing something that initially constructed in the late 1500s. Just how worth it, would really depend on your group's interest in the old Spanish forts. Although it has been a long time since I was there, judging by some pictures I have seen not a whole lot has changed. The remains of the Fort is in what I would call a very basic state of preservation. There are not any interpreters or exhibits like you would find at a site like the Morro Castle in San Juan. You would really have to have that provided by your guide. Great view of the Caribbean and the Chagres River. Seeing the Atlantic side's new locks, Agua Clara along with a trip to Fort San Lorenzo would certainly be doable.

Can't really help you on kayaking... I have seen it offered on the Atlantic side near the Melia Resort and at Gamboa too.

While the water levels can be an issue for some of the Embera Villages since more than one can be used, there are villages that can be visited during the Dry Season. Sounds like the "ball" was dropped by the operator.

In Colon, it's not really a MALL...at least, not how I would describe a mall...it's more a collection of flea-market stuff...crafts, cheap shirts or sundresses...magnets....total souvenir stuff. Took less than 40 mins. to look at every table in the place!

CB, I think you are referring to what was at Pier 6 when the ships used to dock in Cristobal. There is an actual mall connected to the pier in Colon with real store fronts and shops. I'm sure you can collect some of the goodies you mentioned but there are honest to goodness shops. Even a grocery store where you can get some snacks or bring back another bottle of wine for the cabin... if of course the ship permits it (ahem);).

Now only containers are served at Pier 6... no passengers!

Edited by BillB48

• 6 months later...

This will be our second Panama cruise. We did the Old city/New city tour last time and thought it was terrific. We're debating whether to stsy on the ship (HAL) and go through the licks gain or get off and do the railroad car train ride to Colon? What would you suggest. We can't do as much walking as we did last time. Thanks.

This will be our second Panama cruise. We did the Old city/New city tour last time and thought it was terrific. We're debating whether to stsy on the ship (HAL) and go through the licks gain or get off and do the railroad car train ride to Colon? What would you suggest. We can't do as much walking as we did last time. Thanks.

Well, there will be very little walking on the train trip, however I think those who would find the train trip interesting are more the railroad buffs that would like the experience for the nostalgic value of riding the Panama Railroad. Lots of history there and that is where I think the interest lies. While it is a very pleasant trip, you don't see very much of the Canal... only a few fleeting glances and some of that is at a distance. You will see a lot of rain forest on the way and not much civilization.

Staying on the ship on the trip back through Gatun Locks... it certainly is a lot less crowded! All the prime viewing spots will only be lightly populated. The down side is you are traveling ground you have already covered, but it is a very relaxing day.

I'm hesitant to "recommend" as I really don't have a good idea on what you are interested in. Either option would be low key and enjoyable.

If you are interested in using a private tour in Colon, I highly recommend Robtad's. You can contact Roberto at robtads2@hotmail.com. He does a variety of tours and you can also 'create' a tour to your liking. Send him an email and he will respond with all the choices. In November 2015, I organized a tour to the old and new locks through him. We had about 40 people from our roll call take the tour and everyone was very pleased. His prices are very reasonable and are discounted as your group size increases. Although other people that work for him may be good, I specifically asked for him to be our group's guide as he was highly recommended (you should be able to search this forum and find other mention of him besides me :)). He is very knowledgeable and entertaining. He actually works for the canal. Let him know I 'sent' you! BTW, if he doesn't get back to you within a day or two, resend the email. Sometimes he has email issues.

Marilyn

I totally agree about Robtad's!! I read of the 8 or 9 different tours that they offer in Colon and decided that viewing the old and new locks were at the top of my list - not to mention not wanting to spend hours and hours in the hot, humid weather waiting to go thru!! So, we decided to do their Tour 1 of both the old and new locks, with the hope of seeing a ship go through.

I emailed Robtad's and the owner Roberto Whitaker responded and thus began our correspondence as various Cruise Critic folks joined my tour!

Our tour began on time with Mr. Whitaker being our guide. Other personnel of his were assigned to other tours with his company. He did not push or rush anyone; he answered every question thoroughly; was determined that every guest was satisfied with every aspect of our tour; and left everyone on awe of the great tour! We were able to watch shops go through BOTH locks and Mr Whitaker explained exactly what was occurring every step of the way.

Although this tour was marked for 3 hours, it lasted for 5 hours because he wanted us to get the full experience. This tour literally blew everyone's mind!

Mr. Whitaker's first language is English and his clear booming voice was easily heard!

In addition, Simone, our bus driver, can thread a huge bus thru a needle, I am convinced!

You cannot do better than Robtad's - especially with Roberto Whitaker leading!!

Patty

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Pate522

• 4 weeks later...

Totally confused regarding the Panama Canal stop. HA website doesn't show any shore excursions. I can't figure out where or when the boat docks. I'm left not knowing what I'd like to do or how. If someone can enlighten me I sure would appreciate it.

It's New Years Day and no one answers the phone at HA.

Marvin