MSC Divina really THAT bad????

glamer57

I will start off by saying first that I have not yet gone on a cruise (my first will be on Jan. 22 on the Disney Dream), but our family has booked a Nov. 2016 8day/7night Caribbean cruise on the MSC Divina because of the balcony special and our 2 kids sailing free (it's a cheaper vacation than staying in a hotel, paying for food, etc.).

We had family that cruised the MSC Divina and loved it. Then after we booked I started seeing all of these negative reviews.

My question is this: Is it really THAT bad when it comes to food and service? Their website sucks, but I have always had a good interaction when I spoke with someone on the phone. And as far as the food, don't get me wrong...I love to dine at Capital Grille and Ruth's Chris Steak House, but I am not above also enjoying a meal at Cracker Barrel.

When I look at the negative reviews they seem to be from people who have taken many cruises, specifically luxury cruises. I mean, if you went on a Crystal cruise, I'm sure the food on the MSC Divina may not be the same, but was it really that horrible? Honestly, I just enjoy the idea of not having to cook and having room service for a week...lol.

Any insight is appreciated :)

Haven't been on Divina yet but have been on MSC Orchestra and Poesia multiple times an never had a bad cruise. Some in our family are picky eaters and none have had problems finding something to eat. The service can be hit or miss depending on if the staff is new an still getting used to the ship themselves as well as sometimes language issues. Nothing that can't be worked around if you are willing to try.

Personally I find many of the negative reviews are from those that wanted more Americanized food an service. If you want "Olive Garden" or " 5 star$100+ a plate" type Italian food you probably won't like the food. If you want the bar staff to be asking every five minutes if you want a drink you probably won't like the service. Dinner in the MDR WILL take a while but really what is the rush?

If your family has been on MSC before go with their reviews rather than some internet stranger as you know your families taste an what things they like or don't compared to your likes an dislikes.

We like the different vibe on the Divina. We are not hard to please with the food and there are lots of good choices in the buffet. If you want a drink just catch a server or go to the bar. They aren't in your face. Since you have been on MSC before you probably will like the Divina.

Edited by Cruisergal1208

Haven't been on Divina yet but have been on MSC Orchestra and Poesia multiple times an never had a bad cruise. Some in our family are picky eaters and none have had problems finding something to eat. The service can be hit or miss depending on if the staff is new an still getting used to the ship themselves as well as sometimes language issues. Nothing that can't be worked around if you are willing to try.

Personally I find many of the negative reviews are from those that wanted more Americanized food an service. If you want "Olive Garden" or " 5 star$100+ a plate" type Italian food you probably won't like the food. If you want the bar staff to be asking every five minutes if you want a drink you probably won't like the service. Dinner in the MDR WILL take a while but really what is the rush?

If your family has been on MSC before go with their reviews rather than some internet stranger as you know your families taste an what things they like or don't compared to your likes an dislikes.

Well said.

I would take it with a grain of of salt. As some people have pointed out in previous posts, some of the reviews are suspicious. They come from long time cruisers but only posted one review. I also think travel agents are not big fans of MSC and that does not help well. Their relationships are with the major cruise lines.

If you go with an open mind, you will have a blast. You will see greater diversity than other cruise lines (passengers, entertainment and food), which to me is a nice change of pace. As for the food, I think the food is very good, especially the Italian dishes. If you are a meat and potatoes person, you might be disappointed.

Finally, the reality is that the forums tend to be more negative than positive. If you read some forums (see Celebrity), it appears the sky is falling. Here is a link to someone who gave a pretty good overview of the ship. http://www.scottsanfilippo.com/cruise-reviews/#msc

I agree with you.

Sometimes it appears that the reviewer did no research at all and didn't even know they had not booked an American line. I've been sat at a dinner table with some of them and seen their faces and comments when they open the menu. Not just Americans, Brits too asking why there is no roast tatties! I kid you not! When I respond that this is not really something you'd normally see on an Italian menu, the response invariably is they didn't realise they'd booked on an Italain ship. Later in the week you get the mains about them not catering for Americans, English or whatever.

I'm not saying all service is wonderful all the time, it isn't. There will be the odd mistake or someone having a bad day. However it is important to be aware that the European service style is somewhat different from the US one. Main differences are it is more formal, and less intrusive. They won't be around asking you what you'd like all the time. On the pool decks they don't approach you at all. Some get annoyed and stomp off to the bar to get their own moaning about the terrible service. In reality all they would have needed to do is make eye contact with a waiter as they passed or a subtle gesture or even just saying "excuse me please" and they would have had their order taken and their drink brought to them.

I say go with an open mind and understanding that the experience will be different than American lines.

I admit I was a bit put off too when I saw the reviews, I have mainly cruised with American lines but my parents went on MSC many years ago and had a great time (They are older Italian folks and the cruise line certainly caters to the italian/european clientele)

When it came to booking our first European cruise I went with MSC because of their kids sail free policy..I also would like to experience an italian style cruise in the Mediterranean so I'm going with an open mind and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Also there will be negative reviews on every cruise line...some people you just can't make happy..so it sounds like you are a go with the flow guy...I wouldn't be worried.

I cruise Carnival a lot and so many people bash the line...I have nothing but great experiences on those cruises so I don't give too much credence to negativity. The site is great for info though.

the response invariably is they didn't realise they'd booked on an Italain ship.

Mairi ... Probably because they did not do any research beforehand? the company name is somewhat of a give away though, Mediterranean Shipping Company LOL.

We went on the Divina last year for a back to back Eastern and Western Caribbean. Didn't know what to expect and we never had been on such a big ship before. We absolutely loved it and have booked the new MSC Seaside when it arrives. Our cabin steward from the first week was great and actually came to our new cabin the second week to ask if we needed anything. We particularly liked the animation team which is what they call the people who do all the games on board. They were a young, diverse, energetic crowd that always kept us entertained. We also loved the shows that were like nothing we had ever seen before on a cruise ship. Yes things were different, but if you just go with the flow you'll have a good time. The layout of the ship is different and sometimes you don't seem to be able to get where you want to go without first going up or down a level and then across. We had a CC member who had been on the ship before take us on a tour of the ship the first day and that helped so much that I offered to do it for the second week of new cruisers. Although we don't usually do the specialty restaurants we probably do one each cruise and hands down our meal at their Galaxy Restaurant was the best total experience we have ever had. The atmosphere, the view, the music and the service was outstanding and so was the food. Be sure to find your Roll Call for the cruise and attend the Meet & Greet. It's really nice to see people that you recognize when you are walking the huge ship. We met two people at the dock while waiting to embark that we had a lot of fun with once onboard. Go with the right attitude and you'll definitely enjoy the Divina.

Oh, I should mention that it will be nothing like the Disney cruise that is in a class by itself!

Edited by CTBob

Hi All

We've been on Davina before and it was so bad we felt we had to repeat the experience again this year.

Go to say the food was so bad we both put on weight during the cruise.

The entertainment was brilliant, the staff were welcoming and the whole experience was worth every minute we spent on her.

Go prepared to have a fantastic time and you will

Here's a funny ....

booked the orchestra a good few years back southern 10 day cruise 2 adults kids were free for 2,000!! Scared hearing all those horrible food stories we actually packed food and brought it on the ship for my kids and me and my husband just incase [emoji15] ended up bringing all the food back home [emoji23][emoji23]

The Divina is hardly bad! She is a gorgeous ship and has a lot to offer. I read negative reviews of MSC, but they seemed to be from Americans cruising in europe and getting an experience that isn't what they were used to.

I just got back on the 3rd from an 8 night cruise and had a wonderful time. I was a solo traveler, so I didn't do some things that couples or families would do, but found there was plenty to do.

The food is very good, and the presentation is amazing. The ship is incredibly clean. They are always vacuuming, painting or tidying.

I'd sail on the Divina again for sure.

The frustrating thing about all the MSC ships is that every person who defends the cruiseline blames the negative reviews on consumers who "expected an American experience", or who "didn't want to have a European experience".

At the heart of the matter, it seems that the European experience is inferior to what Americans have become accustomed to.

Personally, I enjoy the cruises I've taken from American ports. I DO expect that quality of service when I pay the price of a cruise. If MSC service pales in comparison, then future customers need to know that MSC doesn't pass muster.

I'm wavering significantly on the 2016 reservation I made for later 2016. On any cruise, we DO expect the staff to be attentive and to provide above-average service. We love meeting & talking to the staff. We love the unusual experience of being doted on. A cruise experience is supposed to special, a splurge, a treat. I DO NOT want to have a lesser level of service. It's very hard to know what MSC offers, because any positive review about them is always making an excuse about customer expectations being too high. It sounds like a huge red flag.

If you aren't going to receive attentive service, then you may as well opt for a land-based vacation. The whole point of cruising is to have a special experience that exceeds land-based dining/lodging.

I will start off by saying first that I have not yet gone on a cruise (my first will be on Jan. 22 on the Disney Dream), but our family has booked a Nov. 2016 8day/7night Caribbean cruise on the MSC Divina because of the balcony special and our 2 kids sailing free (it's a cheaper vacation than staying in a hotel, paying for food, etc.).

We had family that cruised the MSC Divina and loved it. Then after we booked I started seeing all of these negative reviews.

My question is this: Is it really THAT bad when it comes to food and service? Their website sucks, but I have always had a good interaction when I spoke with someone on the phone. And as far as the food, don't get me wrong...I love to dine at Capital Grille and Ruth's Chris Steak House, but I am not above also enjoying a meal at Cracker Barrel.

When I look at the negative reviews they seem to be from people who have taken many cruises, specifically luxury cruises. I mean, if you went on a Crystal cruise, I'm sure the food on the MSC Divina may not be the same, but was it really that horrible? Honestly, I just enjoy the idea of not having to cook and having room service for a week...lol.

Any insight is appreciated :)

No - Divina is not bad. We had a great time on her. Food was very good (mainly used the main dining room as the buffet area sometimes is a bit crowded). If you treat the staff with kindness, they will treat you like Kings. Keep in mind....Italian Ship = Italian food (which we loved!!). We like MSC. Have a great trip!!

The frustrating thing about all the MSC ships is that every person who defends the cruiseline blames the negative reviews on consumers who "expected an American experience", or who "didn't want to have a European experience".

I didn't feel like there was anything to defend. I simply said that the experience is a little different. Every cruise that I've been on I've enjoyed and on every one someone said that it was "The worst cruise they've ever been on." I guess I've been lucky. I do know people who have had cabins that reeked of smoke or toilets that didn't work or had lousy service or poor food but it hasn't happened to me yet! I don't blame them for bad reviews. Edited by CTBob

I DO expect that quality of service when I pay the price of a cruise. If MSC service pales in comparison, then future customers need to know that MSC doesn't pass muster.

I just got back from my second Divina cruise and I'm going on my 3rd in May. I have also booked Seaside for 2018. What I say about it is this. It is a BUDGET cruise line and I adjust my expectations based on that. I sail solo and can get the Divina for less than half of what I pay for Royal Caribbean, my favorite line. Two interesting things about the OP is they are going on Disney first and they have kids. OP, would you mind sharing what you paid in total for each cruise? I haven't done Disney yet, because they are so expensive, but, I have heard they are amazing, head and shoulders above RC, Carnival, etc. Compared to that, MSC may indeed be a step down, but, OP says all they want is to relax and be waited on.

If you and your kids just want to lay in the sun and relax and eat and see great ports, you should love it. There aren't as many bells and whistles on this ship as you will see on other ships, but, that is why the price is so good. You're not paying for Flowriders, rock climbing walls, ice skating rinks, etc. I found the MDR to be hit or miss, so, on this last cruise I just did the buffet and thoroughly enjoyed every meal, I hope your kids like pizza, because people just camp out near the pizza ovens, waiting for fresh ones to appear. As with all ships, don't hit the buffet at noontime and be surprised that it is busy, wait a little later , after the hubbub has died down before you go. Head to the back of the buffet, it's always less crowded and there is a children's only buffet back there, although I've seen some six footers with full beards in that line, scooping up the popcorn shrimp.

As with all things, go in with an open mind, and you will find plenty to enjoy. I was nervous the first time I tried Carnival, after years and years of Royal. The horror stories I had heard about Carnival had me thinking the buffet was going to be like the Serengeti, animals ripping each other to shreds, just to get a morsel of food. What do you know, it was fine and I now include Carnival in my cruise planning repertoire. As a solo, I pay double what a couple pays, so, I am always looking for a good price. Right now, Divina is knocking it out of the park price wise. I have an (unfinished):o review of Divina in my signature that you can look at, it has some nice pictures in it. Welcome to cruising, OP, I hope you love it as much as I do.

All that being said, MSC is offering some very low-priced cruises right now. But the glitch is: if you are in America and want a triple or a solo, your reservation won't be allowed. They will quote you a price, but when trying to finalize the reservation, their website says the room is no longer available. Despite the knowledge that this cruiseline will probably disappoint, I did succumb to sales-pricing & tried another reservation. I tried with several American travel agents... no luck. Then I tried the website myself in multiple ways on multiple sailings... no luck. Per the MSC help-desk, they said only 2-pax-bookings are allowed at this point, due to the limited number of rooms that European agency will make available to non-Europeans. She said I may have better luck if I use the European MSC website.

I haven't yet been able to do that, as the cookies from MSC keep forcing me to the American website.

But perhaps that tip will help others to bypass the blockages. I do know that the triple rooms are available if you say you only have 2 pax. They will book them for 2 people, but not for 3 people and not for solo. Ridiculous.

How risky is it to book a 3-pax room with only 2 people, with every intention of adding a 3rd person in a few months? The cruise is about 1 yr out.

Edited by styxfire