What do you do in Port Vila for the day??

Kiwi_cruiser

It has been two years since we were last in Vila and when I last visited in May 2015, Cyclone Pam, had just been over the islands :(, and the town was looking a bit worse for were! And now we are going back there twice in the one year :)

We have been to Vila 8 times now.

The last two visit we did to Vila, I went Snuba driving and the couple of times before that we been snorkelling at different places (Which can’t remember the names of the places / spots at the moment, don’t have my notebook handy).

I am now looking for something different to do…., so I was wondering what do you do when you go to Vila?? :)

Also for those who like to snorkel where have you snorkelled?? . Have you found any new places to snorkel?

And we will be duty free shopping and finding wifi :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sea the Real Vila was a great tour we did with Charlie Royal a local who takes you to his little village, his uncle's village for a cultural performance and then to the waterfalls / turtle beach or if you wanted somewhere else. He stops for what he calls his drive through Maccs - roasted corn on the cob and a cafe for lunch.

He is a genuine guy using his business to support his immediate and extended family. Going into his village is a highlight as you really see what it is like to be a local in VIlla.

He will pick you up and drop you back at the cruise terminal all with a great big friendly smile.

I was honestly sceptical when I booked a tour away from the cruise but I could not have wanted a better day.

You can find him on Facebook Sea the Real Vila Tours - Charlie Royal.

• 1 month later...

Try Atmospheric Tours...We did their Round Island Tour when the Maasdam visited P.V. in October 2017. It was a great tour in air conditioned vans. The guide was excellent. We saw everything the Island had to offer including a nice lunch on a beautiful beach. Stops included the Blue Lagoon, A native village { kind of } with a guy who did a walk on hot rocks, and a small military museum. The tour lasted about 8 hours and was well worth the price we paid. And, the cost was significantly less than what the ship was charging...

• 1 month later...

Both times I have been to Vila I got a taxi at the port, negotiated a fee for the day, and he took us around.

Both times we went to the waterfalls, paid extra and climbed to the top in all the rockpools. Was really fun.

Once we went to a coffee farm too and both times we went to snorkel nearby. I think it was hideaway island at Vila. (I stand corrected as Hideaway island may have been elsewhere. I forget)

Then the driver, who waited at each stop for us, dropped us back at the market on the street near the ship and we walked through the market before reboarding.

Remember to only pay the driver when he drops you back at the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm assuming they still do this tour - a few years ago we did a Blue Lagoon tour. Was a long day and a few hours on a mini-bus but we got to spend some time in a local village, then got paddled up the river in some canoes to swim in the blue lagoon. Then we came back down the river to a lunch at a different village. Really enjoyed it and had a 5yo and 9yo with us for the day.

Try Atmospheric Tours...We did their Round Island Tour when the Maasdam visited P.V. in October 2017. It was a great tour in air conditioned vans. The guide was excellent. We saw everything the Island had to offer including a nice lunch on a beautiful beach. Stops included the Blue Lagoon, A native village { kind of } with a guy who did a walk on hot rocks, and a small military museum. The tour lasted about 8 hours and was well worth the price we paid. And, the cost was significantly less than what the ship was charging...

We also did a full day tour with Atmosphere Tours - we had a great day! There's reviews here : https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g294144-d1066557-Reviews-Atmosphere_Tours-Port_Vila_Efate.html

We're going again in June though and I'm a bit stuck on what to do this time.

• 3 weeks later...

We love doing South Pacific cruises and here are some videos that may help in your planning ...

SOUTH PACIFIC PLAYLIST

2017 SOUTH PACIFIC January 18-February 12 HAL Noordam/RC Voyager of Seas

NOUMEA, NEW CALEDONIA 2017 ... HOHO bus

LIFOU, NEW CALEDONIA...2017 Melanesian Experience

PORT VILA, VANUATU 2017 ...Around Island Safari

DRAVUNI ISLAND, FIJI 2017

https://dizivizi.com/video/312936/2017-i-love-travel-dravuni-island-fiji.html

SAVALA ISLAND, FIJI from LAUTOKA 2017

ISLE OF PINES, NEW CALEDONIA 2017

SOUTH SEA ISLAND from LAUTOKA, FIJI 2017

SUVA, FIJI .2017 COUNTRYSIDE DRIVE AND FIRE WALKING SPECTACULAR

MYSTERY ISLAND, VANUATU 2017 ...Visit to village on island of ANEITYUM

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Vila a few days ago. We like taking the water taxi to town from the ship. This time the water taxis were offering to take you to beaches off the harbour for a swim and pick u up and bring you back to town or the ship rides seemed to be $5 each pretty much anywhere in the Harbour. Other people negotiated longer hires of the water taxi to poodle around and do some small boat siteseeing. I don’t know the price but wouldn’t be outrageous.