Silversea vs Viking Ocean Cruise Experience

coco88

We have travelled many times with Silversea and have nothing but the best to say about our experience with them. We are trying out Viking Ocean Cruises on the Sky in Marrch/18. Wondering if anyone can give a comparison between the experience on these lines.

We have travelled many times with Silversea and have nothing but the best to say about our experience with them. We are trying out Viking Ocean Cruises on the Sky in Marrch/18. Wondering if anyone can give a comparison between the experience on these lines.

Wonder how they can compare? It's apples vs oranges. Only things in common are they both have ships and sail on the ocean. You might be better comparing them to other mass market ships, like Celebrity...

Wonder how they can compare? It's apples vs oranges. Only things in common are they both have ships and sail on the ocean. You might be better comparing them to other mass market ships, like Celebrity...

Have you sailed Viking? I have not. But close friends who are discerning cruisers with a good deal of experience in luxury market speak very highly of Viking. They have recently been traveling in penthouses on Crystal but have now moved their business to Viking. They are empty nesters and say that one feature they enjoy is the guarantee of no children playing in the pool or jacuzzi, running up and down the halls, etc. They love their grandkids, but don't relish kids on cruises.

Have you sailed Viking? I have not. But close friends who are discerning cruisers with a good deal of experience in luxury market speak very highly of Viking. They have recently been traveling in penthouses on Crystal but have now moved their business to Viking. They are empty nesters and say that one feature they enjoy is the guarantee of no children playing in the pool or jacuzzi, running up and down the halls, etc. They love their grandkids, but don't relish kids on cruises.

You found a good one. Crystal vs viking is a good comparison. They both have similar business plans and offer similar products. But crystal could not be compared to Seabourn or Silversea. They just don't offer a similar product.

I found this on the Viking Ocean Board.

The person narrating the video doesn't appear to have any experience sailing a luxury line so his comparisons are mainly to mass market cruise lines.

I always feel that videos can tell more then words and even photos. So I think this might give you a little sense of the cruise ship/line. He does provide his view of the pluses as well as the things that could be improved.

My takeaway from the video is that they are providing a premium product rather then a luxury product.

That's OK as for some that is a step that they want to take or maybe it's something that they want for a change.

Like most things in life there are some things that people will like and others they won't like.

Keith

For "only" a premium product it looks pretty good.. fresh clean and new.

Is a premium product done well better than a luxury product done poorly ???

I've yet to sail on a luxury product done poorly although I prefer some luxury lines over others. :)

While many lines call themselves premium lines there IMHO there clearly is a wide range in the quality of lines that call themselves premium. I know, that is not surprising.

Like most things in life each even within a category of cruising one or more cruise lines will work better for one person over another one.

I also think within a cruise line that certain ships will work better then other one.

Choice is good.

Keith

• 1 month later...

We have just finished the VikingHomelands cruise and our previous ocean cruise was the Inside Passage on SilverShadow, and in general there is not a lot to pick between the 2 cruise lines.

Both offer kid-free cruises (asothers have said we love our grandkids but ....).

Being Aussies we are "neatcasual" rather than “elegant” and I think that is a more acceptable onViking.

We found the "includedtours" very superficial - you really need to pick one of the"optional shore excursions" to make the most of the trip.

We had a “butler” on Silver Seas –too formal for Aussies but a nice, friendly, helpful guy, while on Viking theyhave an excellent 24/7 room service.

Viking Star had 50% morepassengers than Silver Shadow but you would never know unless you counted.

We couldn't fault the staff oneither ship - excellent.

We didn't use Viking to book ourplane flights but some of the people we met from USA that let Viking book theplane flights seemed to have really weird itineraries - going backwards beforegoing forwards - and some very early mornings (leaving the ship on the last dayat 3.30am!).

Advice to others going on a Viking Cruise.

· Check the dates when you can bookshore excursions – for example may be 60 or 70 days from the start of yourcruise depending on cabin class - and book as early as you can as some of ourpreferred excursions were already filled but the time we got around to it.

· You can book more than 1 shoreexcursion on a single day – some booked an “included tour” in the morning andan “optional tour” (extra $) in the afternoon.

· This particular tour “VikingHomelands” was more suited to the history buffs than those going for scenicsightseeing (other than Norway).

· Youdon’t need to “dress up” at night – I carted a jacket around for 30 days andwore it once to dinner and took it off after 3 minutes – dress jeans (men) andskirt/slacks for ladies is all you need.

End result? As others have said - pick your destinations andtime of year first then pick who you go with (after checking the $$ of course :)).

TJfromOz, I enjoyed reading your comments but one item you said surprised me.

I realize that Viking has a minimum age requirement so I understand they offer kids free cruises but Silversea allows children and certain times of the year such as on the Shadow in Alaska you may see a lot of children as we did a few years ago.

I'm just confused why you said "both" offer kids-free cruises.

Keith

Hi Keith

Fair point and I appreciate your response so I don't influence anyone unfairly.

I certainly can't recall seeing any kids on either of the cruises and according to our travel agent they were "kid-free".

But having checked their web sites I'll revise my comment to:-

Both cruise lines are not particularly "child-friendly" and may even not allow children under a certain age on particular cruises, so make sure you confirm with any "luxury cruise line" if you are planning for children to go.

I always feel that videos can tell more then words and even photos. So I think this might give you a little sense of the cruise ship/line. He does provide his view of the pluses as well as the things that could be improved.

My takeaway from the video is that they are providing a premium product rather then a luxury product. Keith

Appreciate Keith's link for this good, interesting video. While Viking might not be "luxury" cruise line, a "premium product" at a reasonable price can also be very good! For us, it is about the destinations and ports. Plus, getting a good value. We would definitely consider trying Viking Ocean Cruises, if and if.

THANKS for sharing these comments, etc.! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 188,022 views for this posting.