Halifax and St. John NS

pokerguy90

It's Halifax NS and Saint John NB - just so when you are researching you aren't confused. And yes, I have been to these ports so can share a little insight. St John and Halifax have small towns (by US standards) you can walk, and in addition, in Saint John you could walk to reversing falls.

However, I would say this is far from the highlights of these ports. The coast north of Saint John has a beech with a huge tidal change and some amazing coastline; south, within an hour or so drive is the amazing town of St. Andrews with a beautiful botanical garden and light house. Halifax pretty much demands a trip to Peggy's Cove. We had time to venture out of town on our visits and had a bit of time to see the town itself - except when we drove to Saint Andrews because we spent so much time shopping and exploring there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Both have things you can do within walking distance. Halifax has a boardwalk that has places to eat along the water, a marketplace and a museum that has a section about the titanic to visit. We walked along the boardwalk, but also took at tour to Peggy' Cove which is beautiful. St. John's you can walk into downtown and tour some sights and shopping. It has a marketplace and a general store to visit. We visited the reversing rapids and hop on hop off tour. We did not cruise CCL, but RC. I hope this helps.

If you have been to these ports, can you tell me if there are any sightseeing locations that are walking distance from the cruise pier?

Thank you

Sent from my Timex Sinclair

The cruise terminal in Saint John is downtown so you can walk to several sites or catch one of the pink buses for a city tour. The New Brunswick Museum, public library (free wifi and computer access), shopping mall and Old City Market are all within a 5 to 10 minute walk. There are many restaurants and pubs in the area.

I think you need to get a shuttle or taxi at Halifax pier as it is quite a ways from the downtown area and Historic Properties. restaurants. I suspect that a shuttle is provided for cruise passengers since the downtown area will benefit. Not sure, though.

I hope this helps

In St John we did the h-o-h-o tour so we could get out to see the bay of Fundy tides. There's a cool little museum near the waterfront and there are lots of outdoor cafes as well.

In Halifax we did the h-o-h-o tour as well. (DH doesn't get around well so we rarely walk) We did the titanic museum and had lunch at a nice restaurant across the street. The graveyard was eerie with titanic bodies.

We loved both ports !

As others have said Saint John has some cool museums, parks, markets, and shops all within an easy walk from the pier. We walked around for a few hours and thoroughly enjoyed the city. Before the cruise we were thinking Saint John might be our least favorite port of call but we ended up loving it.

If you've never been to Halifax you should take a trip out to Peggy's Cove at least once. There are shops and restaurants by the pier but the streets can get a little steep walking into the city more, say up to the Citadel.

Enjoy

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Just booked the Peggy's cove with on/off bus... thank you

You have all been more helpful than my travel agent... what a YUTZ...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I booked the same tour for my return. I didn't get to see Peggy's cove the last time and I loved the freedom plus information option of the hop on bus.

We wandered st John's on foot last time the only think I remember is trinity church was pretty. This time I'm taking a trip into St Martins to see something different.

I booked the same tour for my return. I didn't get to see Peggy's cove the last time and I loved the freedom plus information option of the hop on bus.

We wandered st John's on foot last time the only think I remember is trinity church was pretty. This time I'm taking a trip into St Martins to see something different.

St Martin's is beautiful. I hope the tide is low so you can walk out to the caves. The restaurant at the beach is excellent. I was very impressed by their efficiency a few weeks ago. If you like seafood, there is no better nor more reasonably priced. The seafood chowder and lobster rolls are soooo good!

I love Halifax historic properties. The Maritime Museum is a must if you haven't been there. Peggy's Cove is beautiful and very different from St. Martin's. Be sure to stay off the black rocks. You never know when a rogue wave can come up.

I hope that you have a wonderful trip and that the weather cooperates. :)

I couldn't get this link to work, Maryann. I am trying to decide whether to rent a car in Halifax or take the ship's tour.

FYI: It's very easy and cheap to rent a car in Halifax. Rental offices are only a few blocks from the port. You'll see more and save a bundle.

I will try to post my information again: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BjAtDscML-9Ce3VWUUsOrsVhPL7KIxb7Go_9SRi82dE/edit?usp=sharing

I recommend renting a car if you are going to Peggy's Cove, but if you wish a private driver find me on the NS forum for Trip Advisor, click on my username (same as here) and send me a private message giving me your email address and I will send you my notes gathered over the past few years about private tours and taxi drivers.

I will try to post my information again: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BjAtDscML-9Ce3VWUUsOrsVhPL7KIxb7Go_9SRi82dE/edit?usp=sharing

I recommend renting a car if you are going to Peggy's Cove, but if you wish a private driver find me on the NS forum for Trip Advisor, click on my username (same as here) and send me a private message giving me your email address and I will send you my notes gathered over the past few years about private tours and taxi drivers.

Thank you. That worked. Lots of good info.

Ryer R, Manager at Ryer Lobsters, Responded 2 weeks ago

Good afternoon

Thank you for thinking about your experience at Ryer Lobster's Retail Store. As of 4 weeks ago we are not permitted to cook lobsters on site here at Ryer's. We have been told by the government of the Nova Scotia that we require a reclassification from retail store to food establishment .

Regards

Dave H

Show less

I have heard that you can catch a cab at Halifax for a tour. Can any cab take you on a tour or are the tour guides specially marked? I heard you can get a tour for about $150 for 2. DH uses a scooter & I'm planning on using that to get to the cab, put it in the trunk & then go on a tour. Then he'll have it to get back to the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be in Halifax on Oct. 20. I understand that this is past the season for a tour on the tugboat Theodore II. Does anyone know if the tug is still available for photos at this time. Is Theodore merchandise available anywhere? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Maryann:

I just messaged you on TA.

Michelle