Carseat/transportation options NOLA

Cryham44

Hi everyone! My husband, my 16 month old daughter, 2 couples, and myself will all be taking our first cruise in 3 weeks. We are on the Carnival Triumph out of NOLA. I had planned on using uber to get from airport to hotel then to port since I was told about uber xl offering car seats for my daughter. Now, thanks to this board, I now know that uber family is not available in New Orleans :(. Does anyone have any suggestions how to make this trip possible without lugging a 20 pound car seat around? Does she need a car seat in a taxi? Shuttle? I'm from a very rural area and have literally only rode on a cab twice in my life so I have no idea the rules.;p

you don't have to lug a 20# car seat. Get a $40 Cosco Scenera NEXT for your 16 month old. Super light, easy to install with a seatbelt (not latch), easy to use, rear facing seat only. If your child is not rear facing (she should till a minimum of 2 years of age), Evenflo Maestro ($50-70) is a super light, great to travel with seat, reasonably lasting even for large kids. Put either of those seats on a stroller or a folding luggage cart and use bungee cords to secure it. Both of them are easy to travel with.

Also check out Traveling with Children board on babycenter.com for additional travel tips.

Does she need a car seat in a taxi?

yes, laws of physics apply even to taxis. Your kid must be in a car seat.

Can't offer suggestions for how to make the long drive from MSY to New Orleans without a car seat, because I wouldn't consider doing this. Can suggest if you are looking for help that you leave the attitude at the door.

If you are asking about the "rules," car seats are legally required in New Orleans.

http://www.dmv.org/la-louisiana/safety-laws.php

Cb is a hit and run poster. Doubtful she'll be back to offer suggestions, and I believe she always cruises from Florida.

Itchy&Scratchy - I thought your post had good suggestions.

Edited by 6rugrats

Physics obviously do not apply to school buses and other forms of public transportation since there are no safety restraints in them at all.

I never said it was my right to allow my baby to ride in a car without appropriate restraints.

The point of my whole post was to explore other options since my original plan of uber family (where car seat is provided), isn't an option. I was simply asking if there are other modes of transportaion that do not require me to bring MY car seat. I never said I didn't plan on restraining her legally and approoriately.

Lastly, I'm sorry about your mom's friend.

Discussions about school bus and public transportation seating is irrelevant to your question.

Arrange for rides with a car service that provides car seats. Google, use the appropriate forum on TripAdvisor.com, or go to the departure ports forum here to find recommendations.