Leixoes/Oporto

Chippet

Hello

Due to sail in a few weeks with my husband who uses an electric wheelchair.

Our first port is Leixoes (for Oporto), wondering whether Leixoes is worth a visit, or go straight for Oporto.

Can’t quite work out if P&O will transfer us to Oporto or not.

Thankyou

We have been to Oporto off a cruise, not P&O and quite a long time ago and before I had mobility issues. There really isn’t anything at Leixoes but Oporto is very interesting, though as I recall, not very accessible. I am sure there will be shuttles but I think what you could achieve once you get off might be limited. If I were going back, I think I would be looking for a suitable ship excursion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oporto

We use mobility scooters (approx 21" w). I believe electric wheelchairs are wider and heavier.

We were originally going to take the metro into Oporto, however the cruise ship offered shuttles that were wheelchair accessible. I do not remember exactly where the shuttle buses stopped in Oporto, but I think it was close to Clérigos Church. Please enlarge Google map for reference.

Upon arrival in Oporto, we first went straight to the train station. It is definitely worth a visit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A3o_Bento_railway_station) Then we took the metro (elevator / station in front of train station / southbound) across the upper level of Ponte Luís bridge to the Jardim do Morro and just wandered around. Back on the metro to the same station.

Take the street in front of the train station (Av. Dom Afonso Henriques) south. Ride / walk to R. de Saraiva de Carvalho and turn left (east). Go to Batalha (little blue symbol on map / upper level of the Funicular). At the lower level, we crossed the Ponte Luis bridge on a sidewalk, just to cross it. Problem, sidewalk ends other side of bridge with very limited space to turn around. Back across the bridge. Follow along the river to the west, that is the tourist hot spots. On the enlarged Google map, you should be able to identify the major points of interest. Also, there is access to the sidewalks.

We had our handy little map and went back to the shuttle bus stop on our own. The high sidewalk narrowed down and ended on a narrow street with no cutout. The narrowness of the sidewalk made it difficult for me to get Ruth off the scooter and down to the street. Fortunately, a local gentleman stopped and assisted us. From that point, we stayed in the street for a little distance and was able to get back to the pick-up point without further assistance.

The street elevator was not working when we were there, thus I did not attempt to figure out how to get to it. Also, I have concerns about the possibility of steps getting to it. If you are leery about riding in the streets, it might be better to back-track and take the funicular back up.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Betty