Using a mobility scooter in Cozumel

Rlynng

We will be visiting Cozumel on the Norwegian Escape in early November. We have rented a mobility scooter for the week and wanted to know if others have been able to use the scooter while in port. Can we take it into town? If we want to take a taxi somewhere, are there taxis that will accommodate the scooter? We are not interested in any planned excursions or tours, we just want to explore the town on our own. Any advice from folks who have used scooters in Cozumel is greatly appreciated.

We will be visiting Cozumel on the Norwegian Escape in early November. We have rented a mobility scooter for the week and wanted to know if others have been able to use the scooter while in port. Can we take it into town? If we want to take a taxi somewhere, are there taxis that will accommodate the scooter? We are not interested in any planned excursions or tours, we just want to explore the town on our own. Any advice from folks who have used scooters in Cozumel is greatly appreciated.

Cozumel – Docked Port

Cozumel disabled access can present some accessibility challenges such as steep ramps,steps at restaurants and not fully accessible public washrooms.

Nevertheless,Cozumel wheelchair access is generally sufficiently good enough that disabledcruise passengers can visit a wheelchair access beach, Tulum and several shopping destinations.

Things to note:

Pier

• Long Pier walk to entrance of shopping area just outside the pier
    • Can be a long line waiting to board the ship and there are no seats/benches inside the dock area.

[*]General information

• Wheelchair ramps can be steeper than ramps in the USA.
    • Stores/Restaurants in the shopping area just outside the pier and in town may have an entry step. Some will have ramps.
    • Once outside the direct pier area you may have to go further down the street to finda driveway or curb cut to cross.
    • Only 2 accessible taxis on the island so there might be a long wait if your need one.
      • If a person can transfer to the seatof a van most drivers will work with you to accommodate the scooter or wheelchair if non collapsible.
      • If the Wheelchair folds or the scooter breakdowns than drivers will place it in the trunk of most standard vehicles. ( NCL only allows you to rent from SpecialNeedsatSeas which more often than not provides the Pride GoGo Elite Traveler or the Pride GoG0 Sport. All Pride GoG0 scooters easily disassembles in the same manner . Fast forward to the 54 sec mark in this link
        to view how it disassembles

[*]Be aware of mopeds, motorcycles and bicycles. They’re prevalent and drivers won’t always yield to pedestrians.

You may be lucky. This month, the Escape is docking at Punta Langosta, thus there is a chance they will dock there on your trip. Check before you go. (http://servicios.apiqroo.com.mx/calendario-cruceros/). That is the dock right down town. Punta Maya and the International terminal are about 2 ½ miles south of town. If you dock at Punta Langosta, I'd suggest you take the elevator up and go over the street.

I was in Cozumel in January and February and was amazed with the clean-up. They had really done a great job down town. They also brightened up the statues on the Malecon. Most of the stores are accessible. Museo de Cozumel was not yet accessible. I had written to them before the cruises and they informed that it would be in the future. (http://www.cozumelparks.com/esp/contacto.cfm) It is right down town.

If the ship docks at Punta Maya, you can take a taxi into town. If you rented one of the small mobility scooters, they will get a taxi it will fit in. If you rented big scooter, you may have to wait for one of the wheelchair accessible vehicles. I know there are a couple, but I've never seen them. Our taxi drivers charged us $5 more than the posted rates because of the scooters. There are all sorts of shops at Punta Maya, but the stores in town are more interesting and easier to deal with.

Most of the jewelry stores give away trinkets. I have three granddaughters and they love them. They also like the bamboo leis. The granddaughters are grown ladies and they still enjoy what ever I collect.

When we docked at Punta Maya, we both had scooters and scooted to and from town on our own. However we both use heavy duty batteries.

The last time we attempted to go to San Gervasio, it was not accessible. That was some years ago. Chankanaab Beach Adventure Park is accessible, however if this is your first trip to Cozumel, I'd suggest you go down town. Chankanaab is a nice ocean park, however, it is basically the same as all ocean parks.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty