Worst Cruise Ever Scenic Gem

A.J. Smith

Would love to respond to the Scenic comments however its almost 3 weeks since we left the ship and 2 weeks since we wrote to scenic who were to contact us ASAP and we are still waiting. Perhaps its time for legal intervention to get them to address the injury and other issues we encountered.

New Scenic, Not Happy at all. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Would love to respond to the Scenic comments however its almost 3 weeks since we left the ship and 2 weeks since we wrote to scenic who were to contact us ASAP and we are still waiting. Perhaps its time for legal intervention to get them to address the injury and other issues we encountered.

Were you on the Scenic Gem cruise that we were on which left Paris on the Thursday 7th September? If so, were you the gentleman that had the terrible fall going into the dining room towards the end of the cruise? I do hope that you weren't hurt too badly. That was the cruise that had the terrible weather.

Jennie

• 2 weeks later...
Were you on the Scenic Gem cruise that we were on which left Paris on the Thursday 7th September? If so, were you the gentleman that had the terrible fall going into the dining room towards the end of the cruise? I do hope that you weren't hurt too badly. That was the cruise that had the terrible weather.

Jennie

No...he’s the passenger who claims “hearing injury” as a result of a extra loud fellow gentlemen passenger and desired to leave the cruise after four days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on that very same cruise and other than the horrible weather which our Cruise Director did say was the worst that they had ever experienced, I cannot fault the staff or the Gem. We found our bedroom on the second level to be quite spacious especially the bathroom. I wonder what A.J.Smith would have thought of the Scenic Diamond which we boarded after our Gems of the Seine cruise as the bedrooms and bathrooms were so much smaller.

Yes, the meals were small and we were surprised at the standard of the meals which wasn't as high as we had been led to believe but we certainly had plenty to eat. We loved our dinner at L'amour, both the food and wines were excellent.

Yes, sometimes the "Tailormade's" didn't work but you only had to return them to the desk and they would replace it immediately.

I didn't hear any loud passengers at all and we mixed with a lot of people. We found the majority of the passengers to be widely travelled and very polite. We particularly enjoyed the excursions we chose which included a visit to the Somme, a visit to the Normandy landings, a walking tour or Rouen, a visit to Monet's Garden, a visit to the Palace Chantilly and a visit to the Vaux le Vicomete Palace.

We also didn't hear a lot of complaints and I am surprised that A.J.Smith wanted to leave after the fourth day which meant that we had only just arrived into Honfleur. I am wondering if the weather was what really made him want to leave as it was ghastly. Using a loud voiced male as an excuse for becoming deaf is hardly playing the game!! :mad:

Jennie

We were on that very same cruise and other than the horrible weather which our Cruise Director did say was the worst that they had ever experienced, I cannot fault the staff or the Gem. We found our bedroom on the second level to be quite spacious especially the bathroom. I wonder what A.J.Smith would have thought of the Scenic Diamond which we boarded after our Gems of the Seine cruise as the bedrooms and bathrooms were so much smaller.

Yes, the meals were small and we were surprised at the standard of the meals which wasn't as high as we had been led to believe but we certainly had plenty to eat. We loved our dinner at L'amour, both the food and wines were excellent.

Yes, sometimes the "Tailormade's" didn't work but you only had to return them to the desk and they would replace it immediately.

I didn't hear any loud passengers at all and we mixed with a lot of people. We found the majority of the passengers to be widely travelled and very polite. We particularly enjoyed the excursions we chose which included a visit to the Somme, a visit to the Normandy landings, a walking tour or Rouen, a visit to Monet's Garden, a visit to the Palace Chantilly and a visit to the Vaux le Vicomete Palace.

We also didn't hear a lot of complaints and I am surprised that A.J.Smith wanted to leave after the fourth day which meant that we had only just arrived into Honfleur. I am wondering if the weather was what really made him want to leave as it was ghastly. Using a loud voiced male as an excuse for becoming deaf is hardly playing the game!! :mad:

Jennie

To all prospective Scenic customers-

CAN AN ALL CAPS NEGATIVE REVIEW CAUSE A READER TO BECOME HEARING IMPAIRED? [emoji856]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm sorry, what was the question?

Reading this review about Scenic, I thought about all the negative Viking reviews.

Let's not give Viking a pass!

Now, on my last Viking cruise the weather was sunny all week. I immediately took my complaints to the hotel director. He comforted me by telling me about all the crappy weather that Scenic was having. I felt better.

Scenic wrote a response to your review. Did you see it? There is a link to it in this thread.

Out of curiosity, I googled how loud the human voice can get, in decibels:

https://www.reference.com/science/decibel-range-normal-human-speaking-voice-aeafbe7b53044159#

An individual who talks very loudly would have a decibel range of around 82 dB, while someone who shouts would reach levels of around 88 dB. A decibel is also known as the ability of the human ear to note changes in sound intensity. The decibel unit is measured in powers of 10 for manageability, and a subtle difference of just 1 dB is enough for the human ear to make a distinction.

Then, according to the NIH, it takes prolonged exposure to a sound of over 85 decibels to cause the type of hearing injury he describes:

https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/noise-induced-hearing-loss

Sound is measured in units called decibels. Sounds of less than 75 decibels, even after long exposure, are unlikely to cause hearing loss. However, long or repeated exposure to sounds at or above 85 decibels can cause hearing loss. The louder the sound, the shorter the amount of time it takes for NIHL to happen.

Here are the average decibel ratings of some familiar sounds:

• The humming of a refrigerator
    45 decibels
  • Normal conversation
    60 decibels
  • Noise from heavy city traffic
    85 decibels
  • Motorcyles
    95 decibels
  • An MP3 player at maximum volume
    105 decibels
  • Sirens
    120 decibels
  • Firecrackers and firearms
    150 decibels

So unless the man was literally shouting for long periods of time, it seems extremely unlikely to have caused any sort of hearing injury. At least according to Dr. Google

I am sure we had dinner with the poster of the review a couple of times and he is a youngish man in his late 40's and he certainly didn't wear any hearing aids.

Jennie

He seemed to be very unhappy many aspects of the cruise. Did he complain about the food when you had dinner with him?

When we had dinner with them and their Canadian friends, we did notice that they received a slightly different meal from us but there weren't any complaints at all. In fact he seemed very happy and was enjoying the wines and beer.

In the end we did have more to do with their friends from Canada who were a lovely couple.

Jennie

Sorry you had a bad cruise. It almost sounds like the loud person was bullying you and your group....unless the person also had a hearing problem and spoke loudly to hear himself speak.