Liberty of the Seas 10/01/17 and LGBT gathering

My hubs and I cruised on this date. Overall, the cruise was relaxing and enjoyable. However, we felt like staff could have been more friendly and attentive. Many seemed like they were more bothered by guests than helpful. The MDR service really seemed to have gone down when compared to previous years. And the LGBT gathering in the R Bar was truly non existent. It really would have been nice to have had a staff member hosting the event. That might have made a difference and made other ‘family’ members feel more welcomed and increased attendance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you relatively new to cruising? Are you young and vibrant in your well-earned marriage?

These events are never hosted by a crew member to foster, promote or encourage participation. The crew is no more or less friendly to the LGBT than any other person on the ship.

I've been to some FOD meetings that were rip-roarin' and some that were like a ghost town (more the latter than the former).

It's just the way it is now that there is broader acceptance and less need to "be among our own kind". For those that still want it, it's available. Just don't be disappointed if no one else shows up to "hang".

Are you relatively new to cruising? Are you young and vibrant in your well-earned marriage?

These events are never hosted by a crew member to foster, promote or encourage participation. The crew is no more or less friendly to the LGBT than any other person on the ship.

I've been to some FOD meetings that were rip-roarin' and some that were like a ghost town (more the latter than the former).

It's just the way it is now that there is broader acceptance and less need to "be among our own kind". For those that still want it, it's available. Just don't be disappointed if no one else shows up to "hang".

Hello, We are not new to cruising. And consider ourselves very much young, and fun loving. I agree that our relationships should be acceptable in a much broader aspect. Society is evolving to be less judgmental allowing us to be fairly treated across the board. For us it is not so much being “among our kind” as it is having a time and place to meet other friendly people in an environment promoting acceptance.

Hello, We are not new to cruising. And consider ourselves very much young, and fun loving. I agree that our relationships should be acceptable in a much broader aspect. Society is evolving to be less judgmental allowing us to be fairly treated across the board. For us it is not so much being “among our kind” as it is having a time and place to meet other friendly people in an environment promoting acceptance.

My opinion of Having a sponsored event would only assist in providing that kind of environment

I suspect by "friendly" you mean GAY and friendly.

I'm curious about two things:

1. How are the cruise lines not satisfying your desire? A time and place announced in the activities paper seems to fit the bill.

2. Why should the cruise lines do anything more than this for LGBT people which would be special treatment beyond that provided to the average passenger (translation: equal treatment)?

I guess I'm not seeing some deficiency in providing accommodation that you see.

I suspect by "friendly" you mean GAY and friendly.

I'm curious about two things:

1. How are the cruise lines not satisfying your desire? A time and place announced in the activities paper seems to fit the bill.

2. Why should the cruise lines do anything more than this for LGBT people which would be special treatment beyond that provided to the average passenger (translation: equal treatment)?

I guess I'm not seeing some deficiency in providing accommodation that you see.

1. We all know that being gay doesn't make a person friendly. My use of the adjective 'friendly' was in reference to all people accepting of LGBTQ. I'm a little surprised that the air of complacency has become so prevalent when there is still so much accepting and education to still be done. A sponsored event would help with this along with LGBTQ cruisers assistance in attendance at their own discretion.

2. Having a sponsored event would not be any more special treatment than having the events for C&A members, CC members or any other demographic. Not discounting that RCCL doesn't already offer a LGBT social. As mentioned in the original post. It is common courtesy and being attentive to LGBTQ AND Friends by providing a social event with staff in attendance,I feel, might possibly help with attendance and positive environment.

I understand more completely now that your position is a sponsored event attended and/or hosted by staff member (and I assume more prominently publicized) would draw more people to the event and therefore do more towards broadening acceptance.

The fact remains events such as these (i.e.Friends of Bill, Quilters Corner, Card Club, Veterans Social, etc) either never have been or are rarely hosted by a staff member.

Equating C&A or CC events to be on the same level is a stretch. They target a very different and very specific demographic cruise lines to whom they wish to appeal.

There isn't complacency in play but a change in focus. You may feel that having a sponsored and hosted event evokes "common courtesy" and will draw attendance but the fact remain attendance at these events is dismal (and not because the cruise director isn't there handing out goodies and leading everyone in a finely choreographed routine of "YMCA").

Getting right back to brass tacks - a time and place is provided; what we do with it is up to us.

If you want a mini-Pride festival on board, plan one. My husband and I would probably stop by for a minute or two.