Discover the suite life

pisces14

I’ve had an email tonight from P&O entitled ‘Discover the suite life’. It really gave me a good laugh. They quoted people who were enthusiastic about suites and how special it made them feel. REALLY sorry not on P&O. 'Priority check in' Well perhaps as long as there aren’t hundreds of Ligurians wanting to board at the same time then you can expect to get mowed down in the rush. Butler service ‘imagine not having to unpack your suitcase’ I’ve never had a butler offer to do that, not that I’d want it. Aurora penthouse ‘generous balcony and superior bathroom’ I’m afraid not very small balcony and not a superior bathroom, perhaps compared to a balcony cabin but otherwise no.‘Little luxuries’ Champagne etc. ok we do get those. Personally I book a suite for the extra room not because I think P&O have a clue about how to treat suite passengers.

We’ve received a postal version of that today. I wondered if we were being targeted because we have had a number of previous cruises in suites but of the 7 future P&O cruises we have booked, only one is in a suite. It’s fair to say that the main reason for the change is because we now really need an accessible cabin, but it’s also true to say that the P&O upgrade policy has gone against them in our case. I was getting fed up paying top dollar for a suite and then hearing countless stories of people getting free or very low cost upgrades to a suite. Rightly or wrongly, it left me feeling that I was subsidising other people’s cruises. We like the extra space of a suite but find the whole butler thing to be hugely overrated. We also liked having breakfast in the tranquility of the Epicurean Restaurant, but we have noticed that more and more people with babies and young children are now staying in suites and, on occasion, the breakfast experience was a bit like a crèche.

We’ve received a postal version of that today. I wondered if we were being targeted because we have had a number of previous cruises in suites but of the 7 future P&O cruises we have booked, only one is in a suite. It’s fair to say that the main reason for the change is because we now really need an accessible cabin, but it’s also true to say that the P&O upgrade policy has gone against them in our case. I was getting fed up paying top dollar for a suite and then hearing countless stories of people getting free or very low cost upgrades to a suite. Rightly or wrongly, it left me feeling that I was subsidising other people’s cruises. We like the extra space of a suite but find the whole butler thing to be hugely overrated. We also liked having breakfast in the tranquility of the Epicurean Restaurant, but we have noticed that more and more people with babies and young children are now staying in suites and, on occasion, the breakfast experience was a bit like a crèche.

I don't know why I received this email as we've only ever booked a suite and our next cruise is in the Aurora penthouse. I know how you feel though. When we were on the world cruise in 2015 our butler told us that most of the suite passengers on the other side of the ship to us had been upgraded. Like you I felt as if we were subsidising their world cruise. I think it's a slap in the face for those of us who've paid the full price for a suite. After that cruise I made my feelings quite plain to David Noyes. I dislike the upgrade system intensely.The only reason I've booked with P&O again is for the itinerary.

It sounds like the Cunard fabled Grills Experiences. What is delivered is sometimes less than what was advertised. Cruise companies do not generally like you telling them that either. They make the fatal mistake of believing their own marketing. After a bad experience in a suite (with the worst service of any cruise) I now always book standard cabins. I have low expectation (that are usually exceeded) and I pay a more value for money fare. I do not particularly miss the extra space or the butler The preferential boarding was always nice and I do miss that.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It sounds like the Cunard fabled Grills Experiences. What is delivered is sometimes less than what was advertised. Cruise companies do not generally like you telling them that either. They make the fatal mistake of believing their own marketing. After a bad experience in a suite (with the worst service of any cruise) I now always book standard cabins. I have low expectation (that are usually exceeded) and I pay a more value for money fare. I do not particularly miss the extra space or the butler The preferential boarding was always nice and I do miss that.

Best wishes, Stephen.

You make a very good point and I agree entirely. Funnily enough, we have had problems in two different suites. Yes, we did get compensation in both cases and the high amounts we received were, I believe, partly because we were Suite passengers and had paid top dollar. If you are paying full price for a suite you do go with enhanced expectations which can easily be dashed. Conversely, we have lower expectations when not booking one and have been pleasantly surprised.

in May we spent 16 nights on Aurora in a balcony cabin, which was the first cruise in 4 years that we hadn’t booked a suite. The steward was superb and actually did some nice touches that you might have expected from a butler (but without the intrusion of the butler turning up all the time for meaningless activities, so as to elicit a tip). The main dining room service and food was excellent throughout. We actually enjoyed breakfast more than we had in the fine dining restaurant on Britannia, as the choice was far greater (inc daily specials) and, being out of season, it was effectively adult only (unlike the Epicurean on Britannia, where we endured a family with very noisy children every breakfast time for 2 weeks).

Like you, we enjoy the priority embarkation that you get with a suite, but on Aurora we were boarded at 1.30pm, 1 hour ahead of our slot, so just 60 minutes after Suite passengers. We certainly didnt miss the priority boarders lunch as it’s not lunch it’s low quality snacks and the freebie drinks are vile cheap plonk.

We do have a suite booked for Arcadia next year, but I will take some convincing to book another one beyond that. At twice the price of a balcony cabin, I would rather have twice as many cruises. In fact, that’s exactly what we are doing.

The problem with the upgrade route is not knowing where you'll be, and on Azura/Ventura I'm not at all keen on the midships suites because of the noise from above. Booked at the right time a suite can be relatively affordable, and I do like the extra space and the other perks - notably the breakfasts in a 'speciality' restaurant. These are really something else. Not bothered about the butler, but I can see why some people like that.

When the email came out a couple of years ago regarding staggered boarding times, we asked the question about priority boarding for suite passengers to be told that every passenger is important and that this would ensure that all passengers got their luggage quickly. After beating about the bush it was admitted that there would be no further priority boarding for suite passengers. There was obviously a lot of complaints and this was in fact reinstated before it was implemented.

At that time we also raised the fact that perks of being a suite passenger were being removed but the prices were increasing. To name a few: senior officers party, priority luggage area on disembarkation, disembark when you wish rather than go to an area and be herded like cattle. More recently irons and ironing boards have been removed. This can’t be a safety issue because the iron would switch off automatically if left idle.

The only real advantage of having a suite on P&O is more space. A suite usually means a separate bedroom and living space. It is just a double sized cabin.

We do like the butler. We always have breakfast from the MDR served by the butler. Sometimes we have lunch too as we don’t like the buffet and don’t always want to go to MDR.

I think that P&O need to look at what other cruise lines offer suite passengers. We did suggest this during our exchange of emails.

Val

I think that P&O need to look at what other cruise lines offer suite passengers. We did suggest this during our exchange of emails.

Val

That would be nice, but the hard fact is that if they can sell them without the additional costs of increased benefits (which they clearly are doing) they will do. And P&O are notorious for ignoring the wishes of their customers - the only thing that concerns them is a possible loss of profit.

Val

We also suggested that to the management at P&O. Unfortunately they don't seem interested in giving suite passengers value for money. Like you we book a suite for the extra space. My expectations of anything more have long gone. We are trying a different company next and have only one cruise booked with P&O which as I said earlier is for the itinerary.

That would be nice, but the hard fact is that if they can sell them without the additional costs of increased benefits (which they clearly are doing) they will do. And P&O are notorious for ignoring the wishes of their customers - the only thing that concerns them is a possible loss of profit.

But it seems that they do in fact struggle to sell them on occasion, hence the number of people getting upgrades!

But it seems that they do in fact struggle to sell them on occasion, hence the number of people getting upgrades!

Not sure there are that many Selbourne as I have not read many on any forum. Certainly on the cruises we have booked over the last few years the suites have been sold out way before upgrades are dished up. Most of the time 6 to 12 month out.

BTW I am still booking suites for less pppn, than on our first cruise in 2001 and then we were in a standard balcony cabin on Aurora

Just a thought perhaps some of the upgrades have been late in the day and are cabins which have been already paid for and the passengers were to late in cancelling to get a refund.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The older P and O ships seem to have very few suites (and balconies). That could be an advantage for P and O if the scarcity means they can charge a premium price. Newer ships have so many more suites which is obviously good if they can fill them at the premium price. No so good if they end up selling them cheaply or giving them away as upgrades.

We booked a suite on one cruise which was two cabins knocked together but we paid the price of four cabins. We did not eat four times the food and I doubt the perks were worth four times the price. If you can sell the suites the profits must be good. Before the cruise we were upgraded to a suite that was three cabins joined together. Much less profit for the cruise company.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Had the mail shot and the email - we only book a deluxe cabin as we now have a little one and cant afford even looking at suite's unless I win the lottery... Mind you being quoted £6200 for a 2 wk cruise with a 3 yr old we declined and went cheap instead Brittany ferries to France .... finally bagged a cruise for £3800 and then got quoted £6600 for another one the following year....all same grade of cabin.... so why they think i would book one i have no idea...

Had the mail shot and the email - we only book a deluxe cabin as we now have a little one and cant afford even looking at suite's unless I win the lottery... Mind you being quoted £6200 for a 2 wk cruise with a 3 yr old we declined and went cheap instead Brittany ferries to France .... finally bagged a cruise for £3800 and then got quoted £6600 for another one the following year....all same grade of cabin.... so why they think i would book one i have no idea...

As my post above says I am still booking a suite for less pppn than the price you are quoting. It is well out of season but we have land holidays in July and August.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My daughter and I were upgraded to a mini suite on Oriana the day before we sailed; I think it was a last minute cancellation so they gave it to us as we had a deluxe balcony. We loved it (no butler in a mini suite, but most of the other perks) but unfortunately now daughter has grown up and left home I often cruise solo, and don't think I'll ever get that sort of upgrade again.

We decided to book a suite in March or April this year for a cruise in August 2018. The primary reason was to ensure that there was sufficient room should our niece need to share with us and not have her own room. The price was virtually half that being asked now and we have very good onboard credit in addition. There is no way that I would want to pay the current price for what I do not regard as a true suite.

This will be our first suite on PandO but have had 2 suites before with Celebrity. The first was a Royal Suite. I upgraded to a Celebrity Suite about a month before sailing and were further upgraded. The second and last time was in a Celebrity Suite on the Eclipse just after they had introduced the new suite benefits of the Luminae restaurant and Michaels Club. We really enjoyed the benefits of MC and the wonderful concierge more so than the restaurant which was still very nice.

I am not in a position to comment on PandO suite class yet. Initially I believed PandO were much cheaper than Celebrity but having done a comparison of a 7 day cruise based on current prices they are not that far apart albeit for a Sky Suite which is the closest to the suites on Ventura.

A separate bar or dining room would be nice and a willing concierge.

I don't think they are worth the money unless you value the room. Having said that if you book really early the suites are sometimes as cheap as balcony cabins as the prices rise on popular cruises.

We very rarely book P & O suites now as they are just not worth the additional cost, for us at least. The perks are virtually non existent compared to most other lines and the extra space is not worth it for just 2 people.

On most other lines there are lots of nice perks eg a seperate dining area, different menus, access to to exclusive areas or services, bar set ups in cabin etc. The early (ish) embarkation which is offered to all on most other lines and breakfast is just not a sufficient incentive to pay so much more.

We got the P&O promo as well but won't be taking them up on it.

For us the extra space is worth it for two people - everyone is different. I agree P&O's perks for booking a suite are far less than some other lines but even so we still like having a suite and the extras, including the services of the butler, so it's worth it for us. Not that long ago we did get an email from P&O asking what extras we would like to see given when booking a suite so at least they appear to be thinking about it!

For us the extra space is worth it for two people - everyone is different. I agree P&O's perks for booking a suite are far less than some other lines but even so we still like having a suite and the extras, including the services of the butler, so it's worth it for us. Not that long ago we did get an email from P&O asking what extras we would like to see given when booking a suite so at least they appear to be thinking about it!

We were asked by the management of P&O, more than 2 years ago what extras we thought suite passengers would like. Apart from now having priority embarkation on tenders from the shore to the ship and somwhere on the medium sized ships for suite passengers only to have breakfast, there has been little change.

We were asked by the management of P&O, more than 2 years ago what extras we thought suite passengers would like. Apart from now having priority embarkation on tenders from the shore to the ship and somwhere on the medium sized ships for suite passengers only to have breakfast, there has been little change.

Yes me too.

I suspect we will see changes when they finally announce the update to the loyalty - my money is on more points for booking a suite and possibly other changes.

Yes me too.

I suspect we will see changes when they finally announce the update to the loyalty - my money is on more points for booking a suite and possibly other changes.

I filled out an online survey about the loyalty club again about 2 years ago. One of the questions was whether we agreed more points should be given for booking a suite, with less points for a mini-suit, then less again for a balcony etc. I agreed but if they do that the points should definitely be for the cabin booked and not for the cabin to which someone is upgraded.

I filled out an online survey about the loyalty club again about 2 years ago. One of the questions was whether we agreed more points should be given for booking a suite, with less points for a mini-suit, then less again for a balcony etc. I agreed but if they do that the points should definitely be for the cabin booked and not for the cabin to which someone is upgraded.

Celebrity give out points in this way with more for the better cabins., that's how we got to Elite quite quickly with them. While it is fair enough based on the extra spend and worked for us it does not take account of the fact that your balcony or suite passenger may spend a whole lot less while on board on a P&O ship where alcohol is allowed. Who wants to have a drink in an inside cabin, more likely to be in the bars so have a higher bill. People in lower grade cabins may potentially spend as much or potentially more on other areas of the ship as well.

Also raises complications around select v saver. If they were for example to only offer points on select fares while it would encourage people to book them (if the loyalty club offer is actually of any value to them) it might lose them some needed flexibility if fewer people book guarantees. Perversley they may even have to offer saver fares at an even lower rate to make them attractive if they are a " no loyalty points" option.