Zumba

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Fitness, Spa & Sports Cruises
Active cruisers unite!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:25 AM.
TORONTO CANADA
656 Posts
Joined Dec 2003
Love it!

I wish this was a class the cruise lines would offer. Definately beats the boring treadmill

Anyone else been bitten by the Zumba bug?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calgary
351 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Nah, no Zumba for me. That Latino "music" would drive me up the wall and the strange choreography is just too strange. I'll stick to my treadmill and other torture equipment found in most fitness rooms.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past cruises: Princess (Caribbean '06, Crown '07, Diamond '08, Sapphire '10, Emerald '11, Ocean '13) - NCL (Pride of Hawaii '08, Jade '09) - Celebrity (Constellation '09, Solstice '12, Equinox '12, Silhouette '14) - RCL (Allure of the Seas '12)

~Tom
sunny so. cal.
185 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Oh I am SO into ZUMBA!!

Wondering if I go get certified to teach Zumba, then maybe I could parlay that into some free cruisin', hmmmm???
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

The Jersey Shore
6,195 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
I am beyond OBSESSED with Zumba!!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
***Christie***
ROYAL CARIBBEAN ROCKS!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* Carnival Mardi Gras - July '89 * RC Nordic Empress - April '91 * Celebrity Galaxy - Jan '98
* Carnival Destiny - Oct '98 * RC Explorer of the Seas - Oct '03 My Review * RC FREEDOM OF THE SEAS - Sept '06
*** RC Liberty of the Seas Pre-Inaugural - May '07*** THANK YOU, RCI!!!
*RC Enchantment of the Seas - May '07 *RC Explorer of the Seas - October '07 My Review* NCL Spirit 1-nite CTN - Sept '08 * RC Liberty of the Seas - Nov '08 My Review * RC Explorer of the Seas - April '09 * RC Explorer of the Seas - April/May 2010 * RC Oasis of the Seas - Oct '10 * RC Explorer of the Seas - Nov '11 My Review *RC Explorer of the Seas - Nov '12*RC Quantum of the Seas - Dec '14 - My Review!*RC Freedom of the Seas - Nov '16

Orange County NY
316 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Love zumba! :d
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MSC Divina Jan 2017 Miami-W. Carib (Irish Stars)
MSC Divina Feb 2014
Miami-E. Carib (Irish Stars)
HAL Veendam
Sept 2011 NYC-Bermuda
Costa Atlantica 1/28/11 (6331 - gs - aft) Miami-W. Carib (Irish Stars)
Costa Atlantica 1/30/10 (7345 - aft cabin) Ft. Lauderdale - E. Carib (Irish Stars)
Costa Mediterreanea 1/27/08 (6206) Ft. Lauderdale-W. Carib (Irish Stars)
Costa Mediterreanea 1/28/07 (6183 - 1st suite!) Ft. Lauderdale-E. Carib (Irish Stars)
Costa Magica 1/29/06 (6435) Ft. Lauderdale-W Carib (Irish Stars)
HAL - Statendam 8/04 Van C-Alaska (northbound, inside passage)
Carnival Triumph 9/03 NYC-Nova Scotia (1st veranda!) (Irish weekend)
Regal Empress 6/02 NYC weekend (Irish weekend)
HAL - Nieuw Amsterdam 9/00 Sydney Olympics
Commodore - Enchanted Isle 2/00 New Orleans-W Carib (Irish Stars)
NCL Norway 1997 Miami-E. Carib {gal pal trip!!}
NCL Dreamward 1996 NYC-Bermuda
NCL Starward 9/94 San Jaun - E Carib
Crown Cruise Line - Crown Jewel 9/92 Inaugural Sailing NYC-New Eng/Canada (Paddy Noonan)
Carnival Holiday 2/92 Miami-W Carib
Schooner Stephen Taber - many times Penobsoct Bay Maine
Home Lines - Oceanic 9/1980 NYC-Bermuda
WI
241 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
I zumba 3 days a week. Step 2 days a week. Then a day of kickboxing and a day or two of weights/toning in there too usually. I just wish I had the body to show for it.
Oh how I love to eat. I would LOVE to do some zumba on the ship to work off some of the excess calories I am sure to consume.

as for zumba being annoying, it all varies based on instructor. ive had some who play "up the wall latino music" and are too latin ballroom dance like to really enjoy/follow. and ive had some instructors who are more hiphop/martial arts trained who do current music. then those instructors who do a mixture of the two.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mom to REN

Next cruise: Carnival Dream 12/09
The Jersey Shore
6,195 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Originally posted by RENMama
I zumba 3 days a week. Step 2 days a week. Then a day of kickboxing and a day or two of weights/toning in there too usually. I just wish I had the body to show for it.
Same here! I work out like a fiend and you wouldn't know it! lol But hey, at least my heart is healthy! And the thing is I am NOT a big eater....I keep my cals at around 1300 a day. So why am I not losing weight? Ugh...whatever lol.

I can't wait to see if they have it onboard Explorer next month, that would be AWESOME if they did!!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
***Christie***
* Carnival Mardi Gras - July '89 * RC Nordic Empress - April '91 * Celebrity Galaxy - Jan '98
* Carnival Destiny - Oct '98 * RC Explorer of the Seas - Oct '03 My Review * RC FREEDOM OF THE SEAS - Sept '06
*RC Enchantment of the Seas - May '07 *RC Explorer of the Seas - October '07 My Review* NCL Spirit 1-nite CTN - Sept '08 * RC Liberty of the Seas - Nov '08 My Review * RC Explorer of the Seas - April '09 * RC Explorer of the Seas - April/May 2010 * RC Oasis of the Seas - Oct '10 * RC Explorer of the Seas - Nov '11 My Review *RC Explorer of the Seas - Nov '12*RC Quantum of the Seas - Dec '14 - My Review!*RC Freedom of the Seas - Nov '16

264 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
I am hoping that Zumba will be offerred on the Oasis of the Seas when I sail in December. It would also be cool if there was a Zumba theme cruise. I am a Zumba instructor and would love to Zumba at sea .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MSC Divina 5/2017
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 1/2016
Carnival Sunshine 2/2015
Carnival Dream 5/2014
RCCL Liberty of the Seas 12/2011
RCCL Oasis of the Seas 5/2011
Carnival Destiny 5/2010
RCCL Oasis of the Seas 12/09
RCCL Liberty of the Seas 08/2008
RCCL Liberty of the Seas 12/2007
Carnival Ecstasy 2000
The Jersey Shore
6,195 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Originally posted by morena2003
I am hoping that Zumba will be offerred on the Oasis of the Seas when I sail in December. It would also be cool if there was a Zumba theme cruise. I am a Zumba instructor and would love to Zumba at sea .

That would definitely be awesome! I hope they have it on Oasis also, even though I'm not going on it until Oct 2010.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
***Christie***

264 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by ChristieNJ

That would definitely be awesome! I hope they have it on Oasis also, even though I'm not going on it until Oct 2010.
I'll try to post a review after my cruise in December. I'll mention it in my review whether or not they offer Zumba .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MSC Divina 5/2017
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 1/2016
Carnival Sunshine 2/2015
Carnival Dream 5/2014
RCCL Liberty of the Seas 12/2011
RCCL Oasis of the Seas 5/2011
Carnival Destiny 5/2010
RCCL Oasis of the Seas 12/09
RCCL Liberty of the Seas 08/2008
RCCL Liberty of the Seas 12/2007
Carnival Ecstasy 2000
The Jersey Shore
6,195 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Originally posted by morena2003
I'll try to post a review after my cruise in December. I'll mention it in my review whether or not they offer Zumba .
Great, thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
***Christie***

Allentown, PA
1,371 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
I'm a Zumba Instructor and I know the first thing I do when I get on the boat is gonna march on down to the gym and ask if I can teach some classes while I'm aboard the ship. I know Carnival actually has an instructor coming on a cruise at somepoint to teach poolside, in the gym and in the dance clubs but I have no clue when this person will be on the ship and its only for ONE sailing.

With being on the seas so much and the Zumba workshops being sold out lately I think it would be very hard for the cruiselines to obtain someone who is certified to be on board all the time.

But like I've said in other threads if a cruiseline called me and asked me to come aboard and teach I'd be there in a heartbeat. I LOVE my job and I don't care if I'd have to share a room with other staff members if it gets me on the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Lisa

Past Cruises:

April 12, 2015 RCCL Quantum of the Seas

October 23, 2014 Disney Dream

February 7th, 2014 Norwegian Gem

August 24th, 2013 Carnival Fascination

November 15th, 2012 RCCL Explorer of the Seas

September 18th, 2011 Norwegian Gem

June 8, 2010 Carnival Miracle

June 14, 2005 Carnival Legend
The Jersey Shore
6,195 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
So do they let you teach onboard??
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
***Christie***

Allentown, PA
1,371 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
It all depends on who's in charge. They'll ask to see if you are group exercise certified as well as your zumba certification usually and you will need cpr certification most likely but alot of ships will let you as long as you have what they need you to have as far as being covered liability wise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Lisa

Past Cruises:

April 12, 2015 RCCL Quantum of the Seas

October 23, 2014 Disney Dream

February 7th, 2014 Norwegian Gem

August 24th, 2013 Carnival Fascination

November 15th, 2012 RCCL Explorer of the Seas

September 18th, 2011 Norwegian Gem

June 8, 2010 Carnival Miracle

June 14, 2005 Carnival Legend
Oregon
1,328 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
I too have been bitten by the Zumba bug. I take 3 classes a week at the local Y and we have 2 great instructors. I would love to be able to Zumba on a cruise, I wouldn't even mind paying . I hope Princess is listening.
Zumba is so much more fun than the traditional cardio work out.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Minnesota
1 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
I also LOVE Zumba and would be thrilled to see it offered on a cruise. I'd be willing to pay for the classes too. It would be the perfect addition to the cruise experience.

I'm booked on a Princess cruise next February. I wonder who I can contact to suggest they add Zumba to their lineup.
Northern NH
252 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Is there someone we can keep e-mailing about classes that we would like to see on our cruise? As a regular cruiser I would like to see a few changes in the class schedule and would like to know that someone was interested in my imput since I use the fitness center every day for hours on my cruise.
21 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
That would be soooo cool to do a zumba cruise ... was just talking to some fellow zumba divas where I work out at about getting together and going on a cruise!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Sandy