Think I made a boo-boo

claudiniusmaximus

Claudinius and Bemis

Looks like we've got all options covered Northbound and Southbound !:)

No doubt in our mind that Coral is the best option. We did Panama on her sister ship, Island, before the change the Aft area and we really enjoyed the Aft viewing decks. Did not know about the Fore 'secret door' but will look for it this time.

Also these itineraries have a long stay in Juneau - https://www.adventureboundalaska.com/ does small boat excursions into Tracy Arm. I am told they are excellent - so you can have best of all worlds - Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm.

Edited by Tedferg

Have a great cruise. We're going with our family next June, sailing on the Royal northbound. We've been to Alaska twice doing the cruise tour going south. This time we are limited by dates that the rest of the family is available. We've sailed on the Royal and love her, I'm sure we'll have a super time.

Planning is half of the fun of a cruise. I've found that the EZAir prices are better than the airline prices, and are flexible. I've researched Vancouver hotels and booked one that is near Canada Place and reasonably priced.

Our excursions are going to be varied. One for sure is a whale watch with Harv & Marv Tours in Juneau. They run small boat tours so everyone gets a good chance of being by the rail to see the whales and seals. Keep researching for train and bus tours out of Skagway up to the Yukon Territory and the gold country. Anchorage is an interesting city with several places to see and enjoy.

Have a safe trip, and enjoy every minute.

Does anyone know who Princess use for whale watching in Juneau? In case we don’t manage to book with Marv and Harv (just want to be sure we don’t end up on a boat with 50 other people) [emoji6]

I did Harv and Marv and LOVED IT! We did see the Princess vessel and it looked packed, more than 50 I would guess. Don't know who the operator was, though. I hope you get on with Harv and Marv. This far out you should be OK.

Sign on to the roll call for your cruise if you haven't done it already. There you can arrange a small group tour for Harv & Marv. Contact them after October to set up your date. They have boats for up to 18 people that are open tours and private tours. Price is about $145+ per person, well worth it! We had a private tour for our party of 6. Enjoy planning your trip! https://www.harvandmarvs-alaska-whale-watching.com/

Just signed up for the roll call thanks PAkathy[emoji106]

Bit confused how the timing with Marv and Harv work. If we book a helicopter glacier trek first then the salmon bake and want a late afternoon whale watch (current plans) how will I know if they can fit me in for a tour if they won’t know the tour times until all six/fourteen guests have booked and their other tours have been considered.

I guess I should ask them themselves but just wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does anyone know who Princess use for whale watching in Juneau? In case we don’t manage to book with Marv and Harv (just want to be sure we don’t end up on a boat with 50 other people) [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Their large boats are Allen Marine (think hundreds).

They also do a whale watching/Mendenhall Glacier Photo Safari that is done by Gastineau Guiding Company. This is a smaller boat. I doubt you have time for this and everything else you have planned.

Just signed up for the roll call thanks PAkathy[emoji106]

Bit confused how the timing with Marv and Harv work. If we book a helicopter glacier trek first then the salmon bake and want a late afternoon whale watch (current plans) how will I know if they can fit me in for a tour if they won’t know the tour times until all six/fourteen guests have booked and their other tours have been considered.

/quote]

You do not have to book as part of a group. You can make your booking for two on a boat for six. H&M will worry about the other four spots. Of course you will need to see if they even have a late afternoon tour scheduled.

Just saw this thread and I am delighted that you changed to the Coral. We have sailed on both the Coral and Royal and although the Royal is a lovely ship it is not well suited to Alaska. We were so happy on our Coral Alaska cruise that we booked and enjoyed a Panama Canal cruise on the Coral last March. The promenade deck and fore and aft viewing areas can’t be beat.

On another topic, we loved our whale watch with Harv and Marv and as a previous poster mentioned we just made a reservation for two and they placed us on a six passenger boat with four other people. We saw the other big boat tours while we were on the water and were so glad we chose Harv and Marv.

We also chose a northbound cruise and were very happy with our choice and the gradual immersion into Alaska that it provided. We spent several nights in Seattle and Vancouver before our cruise and totally agree with your thoughts about the “jarring “ factor of touring a city after the wilderness.

One final comment, if you are a reader and have the time I recommend reading Michener’s Alaska before you go. It’s a well-written novel that really enhanced my appreciation of Alaska’s geography, wildlife, and history.

Have a wonderful cruise!,,