Emergency contact

ChrisB123

Think it through. If you're 3 days from land, what can you do in an emergency?

If you're on a US sailing and in port, getting off early earns a $750pp fine. The

ship may get the fine, but collects from you before your luggage leaves the ship.

If you don't use cellular internet data, you can leave your cellphone off Airplane

Mode and be careful not to answer strange numbers -- charges don't start until

you answer. That way your family can simply call you. A short call via the ship's

cell-tower is expensive, not poverty-inducing.

Finally, if (a) have a smartphone that supports "WiFi Calling", (b) a cellphone plan

that permits it, © an unlimited-minutes internet plan on board, and (d) turn on

Airplane Mode, then you can log your smartphone onto the ship's WiFi and send

and receive texts and voice calls for free.

BTW, messages to the ship's emergency number get delivered in writing.

• Like 1

1-900-329-7447

You'll need to know which Princess ship ....

That'll get you a fee-for-service added to the already expensive call.

It might be worth it, though. Calling a ship has you dialing

011 = International

870 = via Inmarsat satellite constellation

xxx = which ocean (https://www.inmarsat.com/about-us/our-satellites/our-coverage/)

xxx-xxx = which ship (Yeah, 6 digits, not 7)

For example, from the US, to call Diamond Princess in the Pacific Ocean:

011-870-773-933-441

Whoever calls won't want to wait long on hold while the ship confirms they have a

passenger by that name so be sure they have your stateroom number.

The message gets delivered in writing to your cabin.

Have them contact you by E-mail and check your E-mail as often as you feel the need to.

Perhaps calling the Princess home office and letting them contact the ship would be a good place to start. I recall that Princess includes a number for emergency contact with the ship but I’m not sure where. Could be in all the info with your personalizer or your boarding pass. I’ll check it out tomorrow.

That's been posted upthread and as I noted up there, the contact numbers are dynamic: Look them

up fresh because the "which ocean" part of the Inmarsat number changes as ships move around.

Princess states that the global ocean code is 870. They have instructions on how to call the ship. So does Princess have it wrong on their website?

Have them contact you by E-mail and check your E-mail as often as you feel the need to.

This is exactly what I do. I can log onto my smart phone, download email, take a quick look and log off again in just a minute or two. For your family to call you, you'd have to be in your cabin waiting by the phone. You can have your smart phone with you wherever you are. Then, you can use whatever method you have available, like wifi calling, and get back to the family.

I know that plenty of people think that you should totally disconnect while you're gone but in this day and age, I like knowing that my family can reach me if necessary. If a problem arises, I can be with them in spirit, if not in person.

• Like 1

That's been posted upthread and as I noted up there, the contact numbers are dynamic: Look them

up fresh because the "which ocean" part of the Inmarsat number changes as ships move around.

Should I believe you, or should I believe princess?

This is not a comforting choice.

Princess states that the global ocean code is 870. They have instructions on how to call the ship. So does Princess have it wrong on their website?

No. They update the website when the ship moves.

The individual Inmarsat satellites don't cover the entire globe. The three digits after the "870" routes

the call to a particular satellite, and if the ship isn't within that satellite's footprint, then "no one's home".

Should I believe you, or should I believe princess?

This is not a comforting choice.

"Dynamic" = Look the number up when you need it. Don't put it in your address book: it changes.

Seems unlikely.

Old and clunky? Oh, yeah!

You'll notice Princess' example talks about calling Diamond "in the Pacific Ocean".

Hmmm... Almost obsolete advice now: almost all the ships are now on "76"

(GAN), "77" (BGAN voice), or "78" (BGAN ISDN) numbers. The "G" stands for

"Global". But Golden Princess' fax is still on Inmarsat-B ("32") with ocean codes.

https://www.inmarsat.com/support/carrier/

Thanks for an interesting morning. At first I thought Golden's fax was an Antwerp landline.

Edited by Haboob

It's pretty unlikely that princess' crack it team could keep some page up to date as ships move seasonally.

Assuming one believes your premise....

> It's pretty unlikely that princess' crack it team could keep some page up to date

> as ships move seasonally.

Now, why would you say something horribly accurate like that? For shame!

( Further research shows that Inmarsat-B numbers, including the number listed

( as Golden's fax number, were shut down on 2016-12-30 )

We turn off mobile data (instead of using airplane mode) on our phones and use text messaging for our family to reach us if necessary. For 5 cents to receive and 50 cents to send, it's an inexpensive way to stay in touch.343a9bcb4d63fe68a5ea739c8a5b8114.jpg

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...
On 9/23/2018 at 10:32 PM, Haboob said:

Think it through. If you're 3 days from land, what can you do in an emergency?

If you're on a US sailing and in port, getting off early earns a $750pp fine. The

ship may get the fine, but collects from you before your luggage leaves the ship.

I am sorry - there are times when one really does need to know of emergencies and there are things that can be done. I was my Mom's POA for medical. If she was in the hospital - I had to be in communication with the doctors. There was no one else. Besides, if someone is sick at home, I do want to know! Would you want your kid to be in ICU and you not know. 

There are plenty of people who sail with out their under age kids. I am sure they want to know if something happened to their child.

Maybe you have never been in a position when you are responsible for life and death decisions for someone else. If you haven't been, consider yourself very lucky.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 4