questions about Cadiz port stop

poss

I adore Seville, but don't want the long trip.

What about going to Jerez? (not real interested in the sherry, but love handsome towns)

What about Medina Sidonia and Arcos? (That's another possible ship's excursion.)

Or just stay the day in Cadiz?

Has anyone done the Hamman Baths?

Thank you.

Cadiz is a very pleasant town to while away a lazy day, the old part of the town is next to the port (subject to exactly where your captain parks) - lots of cafes & bars for people-watching, lots of little alleyways to explore.

Travel to Jerez is very easy by direct train. Cadiz station is also very close to the port (again, depending where your ship is parked) and it's not a long walk from Jerez station to town centre.

Lots of sherry bodegas in the old town and many offer tours. But these are now effectively tourist attractions - production is in modern factories on the town's outskirts.

Also of interest the carriage collection and Andalusian horse-riding shows of the Eschuela Real https://www.realescuela.org/en/

(you can combine with a tour of the Sandeman sherry bodega, just a few yards away)

White villages like Arcos or Merdina Sedonia or Vejer de la Frontere need a tour.

Or a rented car and a sense of adventure - rent from the railway station ("town centre" depots are a few miles from the port), and make it as small a car as you'll fit in because in the villages some streets are quite tight and parking opportunities limited.

Or go the whole hog and drive to Ronda. Out and back is about a 3 hour drive, a more interesting circular route about 4 hours.

JB :)

Thanks JB. We've been to Ronda in the past, and I remember it well; we loved it.

All of the excursions that I mentioned are included ship's excursions, so no problemo there.

(We're way past the days when we can do rental cars: pretty much old foggies now.)

We visited Cadiz three times.

First time we stayed in town and explored.

Second time we went to Jerez, (by train) watched the horses training and toured the stables, did a sherry visit, did some sightseeing, but ran out of time.

Second time we again went to Jerez, (by train) finished sightseeing then took the bus to El Puerto de Santa Maria, close to Cadiz. There is sherry tasting/touring here too. We took the ferry the short trip back to Cadiz. Info on the town online.

The ferries run from close to the cruise ship piers, buses and trains also nearby so you can mix the transport options in whichever way suits your timing.

We enjoyed walking around Cadiz. The tourist office there hands out maps showing walking routes around the city, which are marked by a coloured line on the ground. I think we followed the purple line. It is a lovely old place and I recommend you do this.

We tried to visit the ‘camera obscura’ and it was fully booked up, so if you want to do this you should book online in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cadiz is a really nice town to visit. Be sure to go to the market and try one or two of the tapas bars. There is a magnificent beach with a promenade about 9km long.

The cathedral is worth a look and a wander around the old town. The Tourist Office is just outside the cruise terminal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've just learned that the market will be closed since we'll be in Cadiz on a Sunday. Darn, I really love visiting markets in various cities. That pretty much nixes the tapas excursion as well, since a fair amount of the time was spent in the market.