Montana

Found this info on cruise critic months ago:

SHIP RUBY

DOCKED 9/30/18

RETURN TO SERVICE 10/13/18

#DAYS 13

LOCATION VICTORIA

REASON ROUTINE / possible ***** install

When we were at the most traveled passengers cocktail party on the Ruby in early July a senior officer said that in addition to the 'usual' work they are wiring the ship for the ocean medallion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Cruise Critic information is correct. It’s a routine refurbishment and may include some rebranding of on board venues. If the Officier stated wiring for ***** was part of the work it will most likely be done. That does not mean ***** will be available immediately. We are on the 1st cruise on return from dry dock; 13-18 October, Vancouver to LA (repositioning). We have received standard boarding documents to date with no mention of *****.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...

Ruby's is in or going in to Dry Dock this month..... do any of you know what's going to be done?

We are on Ruby Nov10-17. I have noticed on the deck plan that there is a restaurant called Share and no Sabatini's, which is hard to believe. What is Share? So fill me in!

Think I read somewhere that Ruby is leaving the US, Alaska & Caribbean to go Down Under....is this true?

Ruby's is in or going in to Dry Dock this month..... do any of you know what's going to be done?

We are on Ruby Nov10-17. I have noticed on the deck plan that there is a restaurant called Share and no Sabatini's, which is hard to believe. What is Share? So fill me in!

Think I read somewhere that Ruby is leaving the US, Alaska & Caribbean to go Down Under....is this true?

Normal routine dry dock conducted every 3-4 years.

Look at post #2......

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2670519&highlight=ruby+dry+dock

What is Ocean Medallion? I don't suppose that's the new internet that many of the ships are getting? I've really been hoping the new internet packages will be available on my cruise in the spring.

According to a staff officer at a Most Traveled Passengers cocktail party on the Ruby this summer, in addition to the 'usual' drydock updates they will be wiring the ship for the Ocean Medallion. Check out the Princess website for the PR explanation: https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/ and/or do a search on this board for lots of threads.

I have a cruise booked on Ruby for April 2019 going from Long Beach to Hawaii..
Princess doesn’t sail from Long Beach. Make sure you know where you’re embarking. The Long Beach and Port of Los Angeles are near each other but very different. The Ruby embarks in San Pedro, Los Angeles at the World Cruise Center.

The Ruby is doing a routine dry dock that every ship has every three years or so. They will scrape and re-paint the hull, clean the thrusters, check the propellers, do maintenance on the engines, deep clean cabins and public spaces, and update technology (operational, navigation, entertainment, Medallion, satellite, etc.) among other things. They will install the Medallion technology. That doesn’t mean that the ship will have the Medallion right after dry dock. It just means that when the Medallion is rolled out on the Ruby, she’ll be ready.

It’s like taking your car in for an oil change, tune-up and detailing. Haven’t read about any modifications.

Sorry yes, it's San Pedro. (We've sailed out of Long Beach twice on Carnival and we're staying in Long Beach after the cruise, so I got mixed up!)

Looked up Ocean Medallion- I'm a little disappointed it isn't related to the internet, but it does seem pretty neat.

Share replaced Sabatinis on the Ruby and Emerald Princesses a few years ago. Check out https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/curtis-stone/ or do a search on Share on this board. Opinions vary widely. We went to Share for the first time on a Ruby Princess cruise this summer and thought it was the best overall meal we've had on Princess (we've done 3 Chef's Tables and a Winemaker's Dinner that were great too).

Guess I was incorrect about Ruby leaving US mainland, Caribbean, Alaska etc.....Thanks for the info on that, plus the info about dry dock and Sabbatini's

Ruby is headed Down Under for one season. The person who corrected you is a year ahead (or behind depending on your perspective).

Ruby 2019 Transpacific: Embark either Vancouver Sept 21 or San Pedro Sept 24; disembark Auckland Oct 15 or Sydney Oct 21.

Return Transpacific departs Sydney Apr 4 2020. to San Pedro or Vancouver.

For simple questions of fact such as an already open for booking deployment schedule, always check the primary source (website or Cruise Atlas) rather than meekly accept someone contradicting info you were reasonably certain you had correct to that point.

Guess I was incorrect about Ruby leaving US mainland, Caribbean, Alaska etc.....Thanks for the info

Princess has published the Ruby’s itineraries through May 2020. She will be assigned to Australia & South Pacific starting in October 2019 (31 day cruise from Vancouver to Sydney departing 21 Sep 2019). She will be sailing for Princess (not P&O) during that time. She will return to the NA West Coast in April 2020.

We will be on the 1st cruise after Victoria (BC) drydock, Vancouver to LA 5-day departing 13 October. We’ll report any major changes. We have heard there might so rebranding.

Sabatini’s was replaced with Share during the Dec 2015 drydock. Share is Princess’s latest effort to bring celebrity chefs to specialty dining. Share is Curtis Stone’s venue. https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/curtis-stone/

The Ruby will be assigned to Australia sailing for Princess from October 2019 to April 2020 when it will return to the NA West Coast.

Princess doesn’t sail from Long Beach. Make sure you know where you’re embarking. The Long Beach and Port of Los Angeles are near each other but very different. The Ruby embarks in San Pedro, Los Angeles at the World Cruise Center.

Oh come on Pam. They are both a hop, skip, and a jump from one another. Not a big deal.

On the Ruby Princess now, heading to Victoria, before returning tomorrow to Seattle to disembark.

It’s a maintenance and painting drydock. Hull definitely needs painting from what I observed from tender in Monterey. Ship will also be getting Sea Witch on front of hull.

Lots of painting being done on ship already and be done.

You can see some wear and tear. They have blinds in buffet needing fixing too. Plus some public toilets not functioning well (and probably already should have been fixed).

Supplies are getting lean. Other than Vines and Crooners with some special wines, only 3 Red wines on regular wine by glass menu available. They told us all new wine selection coming, and about a month back they had training from corporate on the new selections.

Still a nice trip. Monterey with visit to Pebble Beach was my favorite port so far, by far.

It can be a big deal if the cruiser goes to Long Beach late in the day.

True, but that’s the cruiser’s mistake. Princess clearly provides information about the Port of Embarkation and Debarkation in the Booking Summary. Read the information provided to you. If your TA did not provide the information then you have a problem.

True, but that’s the cruiser’s mistake. Princess clearly provides information about the Port of Embarkation and Debarkation in the Booking Summary. Read the information provided to you. If your TA did not provide the information then you have a problem.

OP already explained that saying Long Beach was a slip of the brain, caused by having embarked there twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yep. Except when she doesn't.

World Cruise Center only has two berths now that ex-USS Iowa is permanently

moored there. If more than 2 ships are scheduled, and Ruby draws the short

straw, she has to cope.

Choice #1, if it's on one of two days a week that Carnival brand isn't using it,

is Carnival Terminal in Long Beach. Comedy ensues.

Choice #2 is Berth #46 in the Outer Harbor, where HAL's Amsterdam will be

stuck this December.

Choice #3 is somewhere near SSA Marine.