Special supplies for Stella Australis?

we're spending a full week aboard the Stella Australis at the end of this December. The instructions suggest we have ankle high waterproof hiking boots, rainproof pants and coats. Before purchasing a pair of boots I may never use again, as well as increasing what I need to pack, I'm wondering how necessary the boots are for one who does moderate walking and no real rugged hiking?

I'm trying to balance enjoying the activities with not lugging more than I need or over-buying

Thanks

We were on this trip earlier this year and we're fine with our regular "hiking boots". My husband took a hike one day were boots were highly suggested and got a pair from the ship,BUT... he had made friends with some crew members. The boots were not offered to everyone. I would be happy to email more info and some pics if you are interested.

Thecrisafulli@gmail

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 6 months later...

Just wonderful. We were there over New Years so weather was mild. Always very windy on deck and on zodiacs. I was surprised and pleased to see they provided stacks of walking sticks (first come gets dibs) on all of the hikes. The expeditions were divided up by levels of challenge which allowed lots of choice. We had good walking shoes, never needed technical hiking boots.

Food is great, rooms are spacious with an amazing window. Guides and staff are really great and helpful.

Enjoy