Island Princess (Dec. 5) or Coral Princess (Dec. 7) ?

ace123

These two cruises are both 15 nights and about the same price for the full transit.

I usually pick large ships and haven't been on a 90,000 tons ship for a long time but that is built for Panama Canal.

Which one would you choose? Which ship or itinerary is preferred?

Thanks for your insight.

One goes from Fort Lauderdale to California and the other goes from California to Fort Lauderdale. Some folks think going from Florida to California is better because of the time changes in that direction.

We are on the Coral because we live in San Diego and would prefer to leave from nearer to home. I think that I read that the Island had some changes to cabins that not all folks like but you'll have to research that further.

You might also check flights to see if there is a difference for you.

Actually I should have provided the following as well:

Island Princess (Dec. 5 SFO - FLL), Coral Princess (Dec. 7 LAX - FLL)

Both are going the same direction.

clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Thanks for the quick reply.:):)

Sorry ! I misread some info on Google.

Well then you can ask about the 2 different ships to see if what I heard about the Island is true that folks don't like something about the new cabins that were added. I suppose it would depend on which cabin category you were looking at.

Have you asked on the Princess page if folks prefer the Coral to the Island??

Fewer folks post here than on the general Princess page.

I have sailed on both, first the Island to Alaska and then the Coral to Panama. Our family scheduled our cruise before we knew about Cruise Critic. When I read many of the comments about the Island I became very nervous about our trip. Our trip was fabulous! We had a fantastic time and would not hesitate to sail on the Island again if the itinerary was what we wanted. The food and crew were incredible. The ship was clean and never felt crowded.

That being said, after having sailed on the Coral, she became my favorite.

The changes made to the Island removed the Universe Lounge and there is a show that was created for that space and does not translate as well on the Island. We also enjoy the International Cafe the one on the Coral is small but it is better than none at all, and there isn't an International Cafe on the Island. A couple of open decks were closed off with the changes to the Island and we discovered we liked spending time on them on the Coral.

I hope this is helpful.

Coral retained the original ship design with better routing and more public space on-board. I would personally chose Coral over Island if a choice is present.

Though honestly the cruising from SFO to LAX is kinda blah as well and like a waste of time unless you just want more sea days.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been on both also (Island from Alaska to Vancouver and Coral partial Panama Canal transit from Ft. Lauderdale). I prefer the Coral. In fact, I liked the Coral so much, I will be doing a full transit from LA on December 7 (even though I prefer to travel from Ft. Lauderdale).