I need hotel suggestions for a LAX/San Pedro port departure

afairbro

Contrary to what MtTmo wrote, I would stay away from the Vagabond...Read the reviews--horrendous. Also, not a great location...If you must stay in that area, the Best Western at least gets decent reviews.

But for me, only two hotels I would stay at in San Pedro--The Crowne Plaza or the Doubletree...

And, I too, am confused by what afairbro posted...

Only Hampton Inns anywhere near San Pedro are all a VERY LONG distance away: El Segundo, Seal Beach, Hermosa Beach, Long Beach Airport...and please don't tell me you booked the Hampton at Hawthorne and Imperial or the one at Avalon and the 91...

We're staying at the Vagabond Inn in San Pedro. Others on this forum recommended it, and there's quite a few of us from our roll call who are staying there.
Watch out for the spiders and bring your cleaning supplies. I stayed there once... which was enough.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

i just booked Hampton.
Where is that?

If you rethink your decision, consider Sunrise Hotel in addition to the DoubleTree and the Crown Plaza. Sunrise is closest to the port, and although not fancy, it was clean and sufficient when we stayed there. Unless they have increased their online presence, you will have to call them to get a reservation.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

One must be very careful of which area of LA a chain hotel is in....some years ago hubby's company was going to LA for a trade show & the men got "clever" finding a Holiday Inn for a real "good deal"....we are from a small city in Tenn and the Holiday Inn in our town is great....well, when we all (men & their wives) there, locals were stripping cars all around the hotel & it was hard to get cabs to pick us up or take us there!! So the lady with the Hampton booking should cancel & book the Crowne Plaza or Doubletree. UNLESS she is planning on staying close to the airport & using shuttle/uber on boarding day!

One must be very careful of which area of LA a chain hotel is in...

....we are from a small city in Tenn and the Holiday Inn in our town is great....

there, locals were stripping cars all around the hotel & it was hard to get cabs to pick us up or take us there!!

So the lady with the Hampton booking should cancel & book the Crowne Plaza or Doubletree.

Cruisin Kay,

Your post as not gone unnoticed !

• 3 weeks later...

i'm a little late to the party, but contrary to everyone trying to stay close, i prefer to stay in long beach and take an uber to san pedro in the morning.  the reason is there is a nice cluster of hotels, dining, shopping in long beach, and there is a free circulator bus to take you around.  san pedro is quaint, but it rolls up the carpets early and there is not much to do, especially since they are revitalizing the ports of call right now.  

if you prefer san pedro, i have stayed at the crown and it was nice. check out the warner theater to see if they are having a show that night, it is a gorgeous old theater.  happy diner is a block away and perfect for breakfast.

in long beach, i've stayed at the hyatt pike, and marriott, both were easy access to the free bus and surrounded by food.  the marriot was closer to vons, but vons is easily accessible to the bus if you need to get drinks or anyhtign before cruise.

full disclosure, i live in los angeles near pasadena, but i always go and stay a night by the port because morning traffic is ridiculous on weekdays and i've had weekday departures for all previous cruises.  my next cruise is a saturday cruise, so i'm torn on a hotel stay or just get down there in the morning.

We stay in Long Beach at the Maya, when we cruise out of Long Beach. Even though we are fairly local, living in San Diego, we like to be up near the port the day before a cruise. We don't need much entertainment though so for Princess we are using Hilton pts and staying at the Doubletree. We will just be happy to be there and take their shuttle to the port in the AM.

• 1 month later...

I am researching hotels in the area for a December cruise through the Panama Canal.  There appear to be a number of Marriotts, Choice and Hiltons.  I have enough points for Marriott and Choice and can get enough for a Hilton.  Our plan is to fly to LA four or five days in advance and stay a little bit further east, then drive to LB or SP the day before the cruise and spend one night. 

Our needs are a nice hotel in a nice location.  While we would like to be close to the pier, distance is not an overriding factor.  Activities in the area are not that important, as we have seen the Queen Mary and the Aquarium.  Proximity to restaurants for dinner is of greater concern, preferably within walking distance.  And if the hotel restaurant is good, even better.  Ideally, we would like a place that serves free breakfast or at least has breakfast on the premises.  We plan to drop off the car the day of the cruise and will likely cab or uber over to the pier.  If the hotel offers a shuttle to the pier, we could consider dropping off the car the day before.

I have scouted out a few hotels.  The closest is the DoubleTree on San Pedro.  It is also close to Enterprise and they will take us to pier.  It looks good, it's close and the area looks pleasant.  There are a few Choice Hotels, the Cove, Quality Inn and Blue Stem.  Not overly excited about the QI, but I have stayed in Ascends before and they seem nice.  The Blue Stem is new and in Torrance and maybe a little further away than I want to stay.  Then there are a number of Marriotts.  I have stayed in Residence Inns of which there are several in the area.  The breakfast is pretty good and free. The Residence near the Queen Mary got my attention.  Not luxury, but good.  Then there is the Westin and Renaissance.  They appear to be a step up.  Some of the extras will cost, parking, breakfast, etc.

Those of you who have stayed in the area, I hope can give me some insight about their experiences in any of these hotels.  How important is distance from the pier, to restaurants, etc.  Do any of the hotels offer shuttles to pier?  Is cab or uber  a better option?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Edited by CarolandNate

On 10/20/2018 at 10:38 PM, riffatsea said:

We stay in Long Beach at the Maya, when we cruise out of Long Beach. Even though we are fairly local, living in San Diego, we like to be up near the port the day before a cruise. We don't need much entertainment though so for Princess we are using Hilton pts and staying at the Doubletree. We will just be happy to be there and take their shuttle to the port in the AM.

Just out of curiosity, why the Maya as opposed to the San Pedro DT.  Also, the Maya is pretty close to the Residence on Queensway.  I assume you do it because of the HH points.  I have some HH points, not enough for either, so I would have to do the credit card thing.  I have a Marriott card, so I get a freebie every year and the Residence is one of the free ones (as is Westin and Renaissance.  You being from San Diego, clearly know the area.  I have family just east of Pasadena, so we will be staying there for a couple of days and spend the last night in LB/SP.  Like you, the "entertainment" factor is not a big deal.  Been to the aquarium and the Queen Mary already.  From east coast, we'll likely fly into LAX, although LGB and ONT are possibilities.  If we do LAX, we'll probably uber down to LB or SP to get a rental that would be RT.  The one way prices are $100-$150 more than RT.  Uber or cab is $30-70.  The distance difference from LAX or a neighborhood agency in LB/SP is insignificant.  Not to mention, driving out of LAX.  Been there, done that many times.  Let the uber/cab have the fun.  I imagine driving from LB to where we are going is easier.

We are departing from the cruise terminal in Jan 2020 and our preference is to be close to the terminal the evening before. Have researched a few hotels and are currently considering the Crowne Plaza, which is downtown close to restaurants, a craft brewery and pub. It is less than a mile from the cruise terminal.

They provide breakfast and if you have a car, up to 15 days parking. They also provide a shuttle to the terminal.

While we have yet to stay in this hotel, our research indicates it has been recently updated and while some reviews are mixed, most reviews are generally positive, especially for an overnight stay.

4 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

We are departing from the cruise terminal in Jan 2020 and our preference is to be close to the terminal the evening before. Have researched a few hotels and are currently considering the Crowne Plaza, which is downtown close to restaurants, a craft brewery and pub. It is less than a mile from the cruise terminal.

They provide breakfast and if you have a car, up to 15 days parking. They also provide a shuttle to the terminal.

While we have yet to stay in this hotel, our research indicates it has been recently updated and while some reviews are mixed, most reviews are generally positive, especially for an overnight stay.

I had considered CP,  but that would necessitate getting points and thus a credit card from IHG to get a free night.  With Hiltons, I already have some points and with Marriott, I have free anniversary nights with my existing card.  I have more than enough Choice points.  Already had to open one to get AA miles to get us from east coast.   Besides, I don't generally go to IHGs. Have been partial to Residence with free breakfast and there is one close.

That said, the free breakfast and parking for the night and shuttle to the terminal does get one's attention.

Decisions, decisions

We love the Doubletree which is where we stayed last spring and in 2017 before Hawaiian cruises.  The rooms and the views are great, and the staff bends over backwards to be sure you’re happy.  I’d suggest a rate that includes their excellent breakfast.  

1 hour ago, FritzG said:

We love the Doubletree which is where we stayed last spring and in 2017 before Hawaiian cruises.  The rooms and the views are great, and the staff bends over backwards to be sure you’re happy.  I’d suggest a rate that includes their excellent breakfast.  

This was one that I looked at closely.  Looks very nice and it is very close to the dock and the Enterprise Car Rental. That said, I have points that would get me free nights at Marriotts and Choice Hotels, which have free breakfasts included.  While I have some Hilton points, I don't have enough for a free night.  I could get enough by getting a credit card, but I already have Marriott and Choice card.  After I wrote saw a brand new Choice Ascend, which are their "upscale" hotels.  Granted, it's in Torrance, which is a bit further away than the DoubleTree, but it is not crazy far away.  Thanks, though for the tip.

• 2 months later...

Could anyone clarify what hotel is the closest to Enterprise Car rental in Long Beach?

We're flying into LAX, picking up the car, staying one night in Santa Monica, then driving to LGB for one night prior to our Carnival Cruise.  Is this a good idea?  Or should we skip Santa Monica and head to LGB for 2 nights?

Thanks in advance..!

andrew

46 minutes ago, shipstud said:

Could anyone clarify what hotel is the closest to Enterprise Car rental in Long Beach?

We're flying into LAX, picking up the car, staying one night in Santa Monica, then driving to LGB for one night prior to our Carnival Cruise.  Is this a good idea?  Or should we skip Santa Monica and head to LGB for 2 nights?

Thanks in advance..!

andrew

Lot of options.   There is an Enterprise of San Pedro and it is about a mile from the Best Western, about two from the Hilton Double Tree.  That Enterprise is 15 from the Long Beach Cruise terminal (Carnival).

As far as going to Santa Monica, one night there and one in Long Beach, that is a good option as well.  If you have never been to Santa Monica, it is kind of cool on the pier.  If you want something to do near the cruise terminal in Long Beach, the Queen Mary and the Aquarium of the Pacific are right near it, very close.  If you think you would want to do the aquarium, you need the better part of a day.  It is huge.  There are a lot of hotels and car rentals to choose from.

You might even want to consider staying in between, like in Torrance, which is a half hour from Santa Monica and the terminal.  There are a couple of Enterpises in Torrance and an Uber from Torrance to the terminal is only about $25-30.

We are going in December on a Princess, whose dock is on San Pedro.  Right now, our plan is staying near Pasadena to the east until the day before (family).  Then drive over to Torrance or Long Beach, where there are several Choice hotels and Marriotts.  Get rid of the car the morning of and Uber over to out terminal.  Since the Torrance and Long Beach car rentals are not too far, we are planning to uber from LAX to one of them to get the car for several days .  FWIW, it is cheaper to Uber and do a round trip car rental there than a one way from LAX to a rental return in LB or Torrance.

Check out Costco, if you have membership there. 

Hope that helps

23 minutes ago, CarolandNate said:

Lot of options.   There is an Enterprise of San Pedro and it is about a mile from the Best Western, about two from the Hilton Double Tree.  That Enterprise is 15 from the Long Beach Cruise terminal (Carnival).

As far as going to Santa Monica, one night there and one in Long Beach, that is a good option as well.  If you have never been to Santa Monica, it is kind of cool on the pier.  If you want something to do near the cruise terminal in Long Beach, the Queen Mary and the Aquarium of the Pacific are right near it, very close.  If you think you would want to do the aquarium, you need the better part of a day.  It is huge.  There are a lot of hotels and car rentals to choose from.

You might even want to consider staying in between, like in Torrance, which is a half hour from Santa Monica and the terminal.  There are a couple of Enterpises in Torrance and an Uber from Torrance to the terminal is only about $25-30.

We are going in December on a Princess, whose dock is on San Pedro.  Right now, our plan is staying near Pasadena to the east until the day before (family).  Then drive over to Torrance or Long Beach, where there are several Choice hotels and Marriotts.  Get rid of the car the morning of and Uber over to out terminal.  Since the Torrance and Long Beach car rentals are not too far, we are planning to uber from LAX to one of them to get the car for several days .  FWIW, it is cheaper to Uber and do a round trip car rental there than a one way from LAX to a rental return in LB or Torrance.

Check out Costco, if you have membership there. 

Hope that helps

Interesting comment about staying in Torrance pre-cruise. We're back on a Princess trip next month and are also staying in Torrance for the time instead of our usual San Pedro or Long Beach. It's about 2/3s the way from LAX to San Pedro and the area around our hotel is very well served with restaurants and the huge Del Amo mall for our last-minute shopping etc. In our case, the deciding factor was that, when compared with SP or LGB hotels, our Doubletree is literally almost half the price of our usual San Pedro Crowne Plaza, at least when converted into our weak Canadian dollar. Made the decision easy for us ;o)

56 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Interesting comment about staying in Torrance pre-cruise. We're back on a Princess trip next month and are also staying in Torrance for the time instead of our usual San Pedro or Long Beach. It's about 2/3s the way from LAX to San Pedro and the area around our hotel is very well served with restaurants and the huge Del Amo mall for our last-minute shopping etc. In our case, the deciding factor was that, when compared with SP or LGB hotels, our Doubletree is literally almost half the price of our usual San Pedro Crowne Plaza, at least when converted into our weak Canadian dollar. Made the decision easy for us ;o)

Ah Montreal.  One of my favorite places.  Son was going to go to McGill before he decided elsewhere and I have a cousin who has been a professor there forever.  Actually love Canada.  In the 70s, we honeymooned in the Maritimes and a couple of years ago got back to PEI after 28 years.  Love your country !!!

Crowne Plaza is expensive.  It is literally across the street from Enterprise, isn't it.  The DT looks nice.  We want a place with free breakfast and Residence Inns have a decent buffet and since we have Marriott Points and free anniversary nights, seems like a logical place to go.  Also have Choice points and there is a brand new Ascend, which are the more upscale Choices in Torrance.  Called the Bluestem and it literally opened a couple of months ago.   It also is getting great reviews.  There's also an Enterprise a mile or so away from it. 

Getting back to the breakfast thing, we don't want to go hunting around for breakfast that morning.  When we went to Alaska, we stayed at a Westin through Princess and they had a buffet.  Made life easier to eat and go and then tide us over until we get on the ship, where the serious eating begins.

I like to think, that I know the LA area reasonably well for an east coast person.  Daughter is out there and my son did an internship near LA when he was in college.

When and where are you going on Princess.

4 hours ago, shipstud said:

Thanks in advance..!

andrew

Andrew,

There are several Enterprise Rent-a-Car locations in Long Beach...it is a big city with a population over half a million.  But, assuming you are talking about the Downtown Long Beach location (rather than the one in East Long Beach or those up by the airport--which is quite a distance from the pier), then the closest hotel is the Renaissance--which like Enterprise, is on Ocean Avenue, just the next block east...But the Hyatt Regency, the Hyatt Centric at the Pike and the Westin are all also within only about three short blocks from Enterprise...And the Maya Doubletree and Residence Inn Downtown can be reached easily from there using the FREE Passport shuttle...

I do think Santa Monica is a great place to stay as there is lots to do there and it is a great tourist atmosphere.

As to all of the talk of late on this thread about Torrance, let me explain to those folks that staying in Torrance gives you an entirely different sort of trip.  I actually like Torrance--for some things--like if you don't want a real vacation experience, just need a place to park yourself for the night and the hotels on the West Side are too expensive for you and the ones in Long Beach are all booked (like on Grand Prix weekend).  But, other than that, know that Torrance has some drawbacks.  First, though it is about midway between LAX and the Harbor, it is not particularly close to anything tourists want to see...And the area is relatively boring--picture 1950s suburbia built around a large shopping mall.  Assuming you have a car rental, you are going to have to figure you'll be in your car to go anywhere...otherwise, you're hanging out at a suburban mall and eating at chain restaurants.

Staying in Long Beach, you have the convenience of being near your ship and you have a few attractions--like the Aquarium and the Queen Mary...and the area is set up to be attractive to tourism.  Staying in Santa Monica, you have what most people think of as the Los Angeles experience--an attractive beach with a great p[ark on the cliffs overlooking it...with great sunsets...The carnival-like attractions of the Santa Monica Pier...the Third Street Promenade--a pedestrian only with interesting shopping and street entertainment of all sorts...and more interesting restaurants...plus you are close to some very unique attractions such as the Venice Boardwalk...and not too far from Beverly Hills, the Getty Museums and other interesting sights...

It all depends on what someone wants for their vacation...Do you want to really enjoy those days?  Or just have a pleasant experience and some things to do and ultimate convenience?  Or do you just want a place to crash and kill time?  It is all up to everyone individually--we all have our own standards and criteria...

4 hours ago, CarolandNate said:

Ah Montreal.  One of my favorite places.  Son was going to go to McGill before he decided elsewhere and I have a cousin who has been a professor there forever.  Actually love Canada.  In the 70s, we honeymooned in the Maritimes and a couple of years ago got back to PEI after 28 years.  Love your country !!!  So do we, thanks very much ;o) And we're very much a McGill family, I'm an Alumni as is a sister and a niece, and three family members either worked there or still do.

Crowne Plaza is expensive.  It is literally across the street from Enterprise, isn't it. The CP price varies depending on when you stay, but for our trip at the end of April, it was very expensive, ($300CAD) and the Doubletree was/is still over $400CAD. It's Hertz that's across the street from the CP, Enterprise is "inside" the CP parking lot The DT looks nice.  We want a place with free breakfast and Residence Inns have a decent buffet and since we have Marriott Points and free anniversary nights, seems like a logical place to go.  Also have Choice points and there is a brand new Ascend, which are the more upscale Choices in Torrance.  Called the Bluestem and it literally opened a couple of months ago.   It also is getting great reviews.  There's also an Enterprise a mile or so away from it. 

Getting back to the breakfast thing, we don't want to go hunting around for breakfast that morning.  When we went to Alaska, we stayed at a Westin through Princess and they had a buffet.  Made life easier to eat and go and then tide us over until we get on the ship, where the serious eating begins. Breakfast is quite important, no doubt about it. The Torrance Doubletree seems to have proper restaurant for breakfast, rather than a simple "lobby buffet", so we're well covered.

I like to think, that I know the LA area reasonably well for an east coast person.  Daughter is out there and my son did an internship near LA when he was in college.

When and where are you going on Princess. 27 April, back again on the big Royal Princess to Cabo, Mazatlan and PV. CAN'T WAIT ! We love the ship and the itinerary, not to mention we're huge SoCal fans.