LA or San Francisco?

Momma Rene

I will be post op by 2 months from knee surgery in December. I want to plan a trip from either port just to Mexico. I’m thinking Hawaii would be too rough seas. I’m wondering which port is easier. We will fly from Tucson and just spend the night. Not sightseeing, just a quick dinner and onto the ship for 10 nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will be post op by 2 months from knee surgery in December. I want to plan a trip from either port just to Mexico. I’m thinking Hawaii would be too rough seas. I’m wondering which port is easier. We will fly from Tucson and just spend the night. Not sightseeing, just a quick dinner and onto the ship for 10 nights.

Either one works about the same...though, once on the ship, if you are cruising from San Francisco to Mexico, you will be on the ship for almost 1,000 miles longer (both ways) if time on the open sea is really a concern to you.

As to the ports themselves, if you are not sightseeing, both are about the same...

In either port, you have a similar distance drive from the airport to the port area...

In either port, assuming you can't walk even a relatively short distance, you have a similar very short Uber or shuttle ride from a hotel to the cruise terminal (assuming you are staying in the Fisherman's Wharf area in San Francisco or in San Pedro for Los Angeles). There are sufficient restaurants for a quick dinner within very short distance from where you would likely stay in either port area. Neither town is cheap for hotels, but I would think San Pedro might be a little less pricey than Fisherman's Wharf...and a lot less crowded with tourists.

It would be a fairly close call...BUT, I would think the balance would be slightly tipped in favor of Los Angeles. Fly into LAX and get an Uber or shuttle to the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro for the night prior. There are several choices for that quick dinner very near the CP--I would recommend the San Pedro Brewing Co.. It is less than a block from the hotel (0.1 miles per google maps).

https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hotels/us/en/san-pedro/laxpv/hoteldetail?cm_mmc=GoogleMaps-_-CP-_-US-_-LAXPV

https://sanpedrobrewing.com/

In the morning, the hotel will shuttle you directly to the front door of the cruise terminal (They may or may not charge $5 for this)--it's really only about 3-4 blocks away...or you can take an Uber.

LA much more choices or even look at San Diego. Northbound is much worse for rough seas and between SD and SF would be the worse; if that's what concerns you. Southbound hasn't ever been that bad. But we have never done S/B from SF only N/B to SF. Getting to the ship I haven't sailed from LA in 40 years. But SD and SF would be about the same. Both easy drop off at the street and short walk to check in. SD probably has more hotels in closer proximity but SF isn't bad either.

LA much more choices or even look at San Diego. Northbound is much worse for rough seas and between SD and SF would be the worse; if that's what concerns you. Southbound hasn't ever been that bad. But we have never done S/B from SF only N/B to SF. Getting to the ship I haven't sailed from LA in 40 years. But SD and SF would be about the same. Both easy drop off at the street and short walk to check in. SD probably has more hotels in closer proximity but SF isn't bad either.

LA looks like not too many nice hotels that may have any view . San Monica is too far. Too bad San Pedro does not have nicer hotels on the waterfront

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LA looks like not too many nice hotels that may have any view . San Monica is too far. Too bad San Pedro does not have nicer hotels on the waterfront

Perhaps I misunderstood you? I thought you were just looking for a quick easy time in port...fly in, quick dinner, head to the pier in the morning?

You are not going to find many hotels on the water with a view in any of these ports...

If that view is more important than the convenience, try one of these:

San Pedro Doubletree:

https://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-san-pedro-port-of-los-angeles-LGBSPDT/index.html

It's on the water--fronting the yacht marina in San Pedro.

DT_hotext001_677x380_FitToBoxSmallDimension_Center.jpg

Terranea Resort:

https://www.destinationhotels.com/terranea/ppc/special-offers?NCK=google-ppc&rt=google|cpc|TRN04-Terranea-Resort-Brand-California-15564-23793|terranea&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvs3biZTa3QIVENlkCh38Kw6VEAAYASAAEgIWyPD_BwE

9 miles from the cruise terminal...but the views are spectacular.

terranea_exterior_accomodationheader-crpd1440x460.jpg?ts=74bd5d20-1d78-4e33-ab94-880966b9eb51

Perhaps I misunderstood you? I thought you were just looking for a quick easy time in port...fly in, quick dinner, head to the pier in the morning?

You are not going to find many hotels on the water with a view in any of these ports...

If that view is more important than the convenience, try one of these:

San Pedro Doubletree:

https://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-san-pedro-port-of-los-angeles-LGBSPDT/index.html

It's on the water--fronting the yacht marina in San Pedro.

DT_hotext001_677x380_FitToBoxSmallDimension_Center.jpg

Terranea Resort:

https://www.destinationhotels.com/terranea/ppc/special-offers?NCK=google-ppc&rt=google|cpc|TRN04-Terranea-Resort-Brand-California-15564-23793|terranea&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvs3biZTa3QIVENlkCh38Kw6VEAAYASAAEgIWyPD_BwE

9 miles from the cruise terminal...but the views are spectacular.

terranea_exterior_accomodationheader-crpd1440x460.jpg?ts=74bd5d20-1d78-4e33-ab94-880966b9eb51

Thanks so much! Looks like the San Pedro Doubletree might be the best choice. We will not have a car and will be taking a cab from LAX and then another cab to the ship. I am thinking cab fares will not be too expensive? I don't know San Pedro very well, only been there once. We had stayed at a hotel and had to walk a few blocks for dinner. Unfortunately, I will not be able to do that so soon after surgery this time. The Doubletree looks like it will be prettier views and have a place for dinner at the hotel.

Thanks so much! Looks like the San Pedro Doubletree might be the best choice. We will not have a car and will be taking a cab from LAX and then another cab to the ship. I am thinking cab fares will not be too expensive? I don't know San Pedro very well, only been there once. We had stayed at a hotel and had to walk a few blocks for dinner. Unfortunately, I will not be able to do that so soon after surgery this time. The Doubletree looks like it will be prettier views and have a place for dinner at the hotel.

The DoubleTree has a free shuttle (12-pax vans) to the cruise terminal, just sign up when you check-in.

San Pedro isn't a resort city. It is a working class town for the Port of LA and a traditional home of the fishermen of LA.

"Fisherman of LA" really? How long ago was that? I agree with the rest of your post it isn't a resort city. But, close to the port and great for an overnight. Shockingly that photo of the Doubletree looks pretty nice. In that area we usually stay up at Manhattan Beach.

The Doubletree would be a great choice for what it sounds like you want. First, I would take an Uber from LAX to the Doubletree...much more reasonably priced than a taxi. Taxis in LA are notoriously expensive. If you are unfamiliar with Uber, know that it is actually quite easy. You just need to download the app to your cell phone and input your credit card info. When you need a ride, you just pull up the app and input your destination. A car and driver will typically meet you in 10 minutes or less and the app will let you know immediately how far away the driver is and the name, type of car and license plate number along with the cost of the ride. At LAX, you will have to make your way to one of the designated pick-up spots on the upper level. You might pre-arrange with LAX for them to meet you with a wheel chair at the gate.

There aren't really too many restaurants close walking distance to the Doubletree...HOWEVER...the Doubletree WILL shuttle you to and from any of the Downtown San Pedro restaurants for dinner. AND they will shuttle you to the pier to meet the ship (and drop you off right at the front door of the terminal. Make sure to sign up for that shuttle ride as soon as you arrive.

• Like 1

"Fisherman of LA" really? How long ago was that?

Commercial fishing isn't as big as it once was in LA, but there are still over 200 boats that bring in over 40 million pounds of fish a year.

But San Pedro's fishing heritage is why you have the Italians, Greeks, Portuguese and later Samoans, that all live/lived in the area. San Pedro has not changed a lot in its character as a working class town.

Commercial fishing isn't as big as it once was in LA, but there are still over 200 boats that bring in over 40 million pounds of fish a year.

But San Pedro's fishing heritage is why you have the Italians, Greeks, Portuguese and later Samoans, that all live/lived in the area. San Pedro has not changed a lot in its character as a working class town.

Coming from New York, I appreciate the various cultures. It has been years since I've been there. In New York, because of the wonderful cultures, there were many wonderful local restaurants that were not part of a chain.

Daughter & myself will be staying at the Double tree in March for our Hawaii cruise. The Hotel will provide a shuttle to a restaurant. We will probably go to the 22nd Street landing & grill, a little pricey but the view should be gorgeous. We have friends also going on the cruise and will be at the DT.

I prefer the Crown Plaza. We stayed in November. Had a view of the port so we could see our ship in the morning. They provided a free buffet breakfast that was actually pretty good. There was a GREAT and very reasonable restaurant called "Grinders" that was in walking distance (4 of us for dinner got out for right around $50). Lastly they had free round trip shuttle to and from the port

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app