Los Angeles for two day

Sim7

Looking for advice from LA cruisers and people who know the area better than us. We’re flying to LAX from the UK in October, catching the Norwegian Bliss to the Mexican Riviera.

Before we board, we want to do Universal Studios, Walk of Stars, Santa Monica and a quick visit to Yorba Linda. Too much in the time we have? Any advice on central, safe places to stay? Worth hiring a car? Stay at the one hotel or move around?

Any tips gratefully received!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi,

You can stay in one hotel. Walk of Fame/stars takes about an hour if that.

Santa Monica is as long or as short as you wish.

Universal is the one that can take more time. What's in Yorba Linda??

Anyway you don't say who is in your travel group? IF all are over 8 years old you could use app on phone to call uber/lyft car. IF you have young children than Ca . law requires car seats or boosters/depending on age , in all vehicles including taxis.

Universal is a theme park with a movie tour. The tour itself doesn't take all day but if you are not interested in theme park rides and want a "real" tour of a working studio then Universal is not the place to get that.

You need to go to the Paramount tour or the Warner Bros tour.

Looking for advice from LA cruisers and people who know the area better than us. We’re flying to LAX from the UK in October, catching the Norwegian Bliss to the Mexican Riviera.

Before we board, we want to do Universal Studios, Walk of Stars, Santa Monica and a quick visit to Yorba Linda. Too much in the time we have? Any advice on central, safe places to stay? Worth hiring a car? Stay at the one hotel or move around?

Any tips gratefully received!

First important question would be...What do you mean by "two days"?

Is it two FULL DAYS...as in, say, arriving one evening, spending three nights in a hotel and departing by ship the third day?

Or, are you merely spending two nights--so as to really only have one full day plus part of the day you arrive and part of embarkation day?

Or is it two partial days around one hotel night?

Makes a REALLY BIG difference...

Distances in the LA area are quite large...think London with its terrible traffic...and double that...

There is no such thing as a "quick visit" to Yorba Linda...Depending on when you leave, it could take hours. Yorba Linda is on the eastern edge of Orange County...about 50-60 miles from Santa Monica...If you must go there, hiring a car would be imperative as taxis or even Ubers would be very expensive and public transportation near impossible and would take at least four hours and three or four changes of vehicle and transportation company...each way.

There could only be two reasons to even visit Yorba Linda--a fairly nondescript suburban bedroom community: 1) The Richard Nixon Library and Museum or 2) You have friends or family there. If it's the former, I would suggest it is definitely NOT worth the trip. If the latter, I would suggest you ask them to drive and meet you someplace more in your direction--much easier for them. Plus, even if you have two full days, you don't really have a lot of time.

If you have two full days and want to see the rest of that list (and skip Yorba Linda), you've got a couple of choices. The best, IMHO, especially without a car, is to stay in Santa Monica. It is the nicest area to be in for all of those off-hours when you are not sightseeing--just hanging around at or near your hotel...lots of restaurants, shopping, nightlife...places to stroll and enjoy the crowds and scenery...views of the beach and coast, etc. To get from there to Universal and Hollywood, you could even take the Metro--Blue Line to the Red Line--about an hour and a half each way (though you'd have about a half mile walk up the hill to get to the studio from the station). Or you could use the Starline HOHO bus to take a tour all over Los Angeles--including stops in Hollywood and at Universal Studios.

Second choice would be to stay right at Universal--at the Hilton or the Sheraton on the property...using the same transportation in the reverse direction to get to Santa Monica...or a quick Metro ride to get to Hollywood.

With either option, you would need an Uber or shuttle to get to the pier in San Pedro for embarkation.

Good luck...

Bouncing ideas off of Bruin Steve’s post.

Like the idea of staying near Universal Studios.

metro.net has all the info you’d need for LA public transportation. There’s a shuttle going up the hill between the Red Line’s Universal City station and Universal Studios/Citywalk.

The Red Line will also take you to Hollywood and Vine where the Walk of Fame etc are. If you’re a senior, you need a special card and it takes a while to get. Not with the $1 savings for the casual visitor.

If you’re going to Yorba Linda to only see a Presidential Library there’s a closer one. The Reagan Library is about a 30 minute drive from Universal, in Simi Valley.

Many thanks for the replies - helped a great deal. We’re staying for three nights but have two full days (excluding arrival day and embarkation day). Following all the advice, we’re staying in Santa Monica and a hotel near Universal (as we want to do the theme park as well as the studio tour). We’re doing a disembarkation tour of the Chinese Theatre and Walk of Stars. We may hire a car for one day to get to the Nixon Library from Santa Monica - but are considering the Reagan Museum as an alternative. Again, many thanks!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are booked at an airport hotel precruise. After reading this thread, we called the hotel to ask about tours. They assured us we can book a tour of downtown and Hollywood with a pick up at the hotel. Just let them know at check in and they will take care of it. LAX hotels have free transfers from the airport and seem to be about half the price of similar hotels in downtown. It also seems to be closer to the port so will cut down on the cost of that transfer. You might want to check with your LAX hotel to see if they over tours from the hotel.

We are booked at an airport hotel precruise. After reading this thread, we called the hotel to ask about tours. They assured us we can book a tour of downtown and Hollywood with a pick up at the hotel. Just let them know at check in and they will take care of it. LAX hotels have free transfers from the airport and seem to be about half the price of similar hotels in downtown. It also seems to be closer to the port so will cut down on the cost of that transfer. You might want to check with your LAX hotel to see if they over tours from the hotel.

Do NOT compare anything with "Downtown". LA is VERY different than most other major cities. Downtown LA is NOT an area anyone would recommend for tourists. The only reasons to stay in a Downtown LA hotel would be either (1) if you were there on business and doing business with a company in Downtown or (2) If you were in Los Angeles to attend a convention at the Convention Center or (3) If you were here to attend a sporting or concert event at Staples Center, Dodger Stadium or the Microsoft Theater.

If you are comparing LAX with hotels in Santa Monica, Universal City or West Hollywood/Beverly Hills or other similar areas, yes, you will likely find them cheaper...and, yes, you may find tour companies willing to pick up there. The issue with LAX hotels is not transportation or tour availability. The problem is with what there is to do during those hours when you are NOT on a tour--like when the tour drops you off before dinner. The LAX area is office/industrial. Several airport-related hotels...and everything else is either an office building, a long-term parking lot, a rental car facility, a trucking/distribution warehouse facility or similar. You will not want to walk around there at night. You will have trouble finding anything in the way of a place to eat dinner save your hotel restaurant. Your best options at dinner time will be to take an Uber to either Marina Del Rey/Venice Beach or to Manhattan Beach to a restaurant.

You will pay more to stay in Santa Monica, for example...but the benefit is that the surroundings and atmosphere are far nicer. There are lots of restaurant choices. There are great areas to stroll at night, to shop, to be entertained, to enjoy picturesque scenery...

Only real reason to stay at LAX is if you have only one short night and a very early morning flight...

Bouncing ideas off of Bruin Steve’s post. Like the idea of staying near Universal Studios. If you’re going to Yorba Linda to only see a Presidential Library there’s a closer one. The Reagan Library is about a 30 minute drive from Universal, in Simi Valley.

The Reagan Library is 40 miles from Hollywood, Nixon Library is 43 miles from Hollywood; not a huge difference.

I would never, ever stay at Universal Studios unless USH was the ONLY thing I wanted to do. The hotels are isolated at the top of a hill. Using a shuttle to get off the hill and then using the subway to get to Hollywood to eat isn't easy or convenient. I sure wouldn't stay up there and then eat at the overpriced chains at CityWalk.

Without knowing people's budgets per night in U.S. dollars it is impossible to give specific hotel recommendations.

Sure Santa Monica is a great place to stay. But it's expensive because it is a great place to stay. Hollywood, except for the past decade or so, has not been a great place to stay. That is why it has a lot of budget motels. Only since the completion of the Hollywood & Highland Center has Hollywood turned around. That is why there have been new luxury hotels built there, but the budget hotels remain.

You absolutely, 100% do NOT want to stay near LAX. It is cheaper because it is miserable.

MOST tours in LA originate from Hollywood, close to the Hollywood & Highland Center.

Nightlife and eating are not high on our to do list. We just want to see the highlights of Los Angeles in the daylight. We are content with eating at the hotel restaurant. We might just bring dinner with us. We have over 100 nights to eat gourmet food on the ship. We are usually in bed by 9 pm. If we walk, it will be for the steps so it does not matter what we are walking by. After our stay, I might say we did it wrong. But, for now, I do believe we will be able to see what we want to see and will find plenty of food to keep our bellies full. My point, I have been assured by our hotel that if it is easier to stay at an airport hotel, you still have tours available with pick up at the hotel. We have been to LA numerous times - Anaheim, Newport Beach, Santa Monica, Long Beach - just never took the time to go to downtown or Hollywood, unless you count when we were in single digits.

I would recommend seeing the Reagan library over the Nixon. Reagan has Airforce One and a full motorcade on display. Plus, the location is much prettier than Yorba Linda. We have stayed at the Universal Hilton a few times and for access to the theme park and City Walk it's the best location. Pay a little more money and get a room on higher floor with view of the park. I get a good discount by being an AAA (auto club) member. If you have something comparable in UK try it.

My point, I have been assured by our hotel that if it is easier to stay at an airport hotel, you still have tours available with pick up at the hotel.

The hotel that wants you to stay there is the one giving you assurances? At worst they are lying to you. At best they are misleading you. The tours don't start at LAX. The major tour companies pick up from LAX hotels and transport you to Hollywood, usually next to the Chinese Theater, where the actual tour begins. That means they will pick you an hour before the scheduled tour time (or more than an hour before) and transport you through LA traffic to get to the same area you could be staying and walking to the tour,

Do NOT compare anything with "Downtown". LA is VERY different than most other major cities. Downtown LA is NOT an area anyone would recommend for tourists. The only reasons to stay in a Downtown LA hotel would be either (1) if you were there on business and doing business with a company in Downtown or (2) If you were in Los Angeles to attend a convention at the Convention Center or (3) If you were here to attend a sporting or concert event at Staples Center, Dodger Stadium or the Microsoft Theater.

That is advice from 10, 15 years ago, not the current DTLA. DTLA is one of the most vibrant parts of LA these days. It is completely wrong to say "Downtown LA is NOT an area anyone would recommend for tourists" because it is an area that gets recommended for tourists all the time based on their needs, likes and budget. DTLA has many sights and neighborhoods and easy access to other parts of LA, even Orange County.

That is advice from 10, 15 years ago, not the current DTLA. DTLA is one of the most vibrant parts of LA these days. It is completely wrong to say "Downtown LA is NOT an area anyone would recommend for tourists" because it is an area that gets recommended for tourists all the time based on their needs, likes and budget. DTLA has many sights and neighborhoods and easy access to other parts of LA, even Orange County.

Wrong, Scott...That advice is VERY current...

First, what anyone needs to know is that "Downtown Los Angeles" covers a fairly large area and is composed of a number of different neighborhoods: Chinatown, the Civic Center, Bunker Hill, the Arts District, the Central Industrial District, Little Tokyo, the "Historic Core" and Jewelry District, the Fashion District, the Financial District and South Park...Most of these are NOT what anyone would consider "vibrant"--at least not in a good way...

Most of the hotel properties (at least the ones anyone would consider--there are many properties in these areas called "hotels" but which are really housing for poor people) were traditionally located in the Financial District--The Westin Bonaventure, the Sheraton Grand, the Hilton, the InterContinental, the Biltmore...Nice hotels...IF you are doing business with companies located in Downtown LA--puts you close to those offices. But, the problem with the Financial District/Bunker Hill/Civic Center is that 98%+ of the professionals that work there are only there from 9-5 M-F and completely desert the area to go to their homes in the suburbs, leaving the area to the homeless, the drunks, the drug addicts, etc. Yes, there has been a little bit of gentrification in this area over the past several years...and a very small percentage of this workforce now lives in this area--for the convenience. My nephew, for example, who works in the financial district, up until a couple of months ago lived at the Medici (Scott, I am sure you must know it)...the place is built like an armed fortress with major walls shielding the open common spaces from the street...the underground parking is guarded like a military installation. After work, my nephew would return there and, pretty much stay inside. He would leave the area by car to go to other parts of the city to eat, to shop for groceries, etc. Very recently, he moved to Pasadena.

The ONE area of Downtown that has undergone massive recent redevelopment...and perhaps the specific area Scott is thinking of when he writes "vibrant" is a small area of South Park--the area immediately surrounding Staples Center. The city has spent a great deal of money in recent years redeveloping this area (I know it well--my company lost a building in this area to eminent domain...which has since been redeveloped as a hotel site). They have, in just the last few years, built a JW Marriott, a Marriott Courtyard, a Marriott Residence Inn, a Ritz Carlton and a Luxe in this area--the two blocks immediately north of Staples Center...along with a 14-screen movieplex, the Microsoft Theater, a bowling alley, the Grammy Museum and several very touristy, mostly chain restaurants. It is really only about a six square block area...and, yes, I guess you could call it "Vibrant". It pretty much is on nights when there is an event going on at Staples. Which is why I said, yes, it is an area in which to stay IF you are attending an event at Staples or at the Microsoft Theater. Yes, many travel agents book their clients there--because they tend to go with big hotel operators like Marriott and because they really don't know Los Angeles.

But, for an overall tourist destination, I still would NOT recommend it. Most activities require leaving this area. Other parts of the city are far more welcoming and more relaxing.

If you DO stay in this area...be very aware NOT to wander off on foot and leave the area. Just a block or two to the West and you are in Pico-Union...one of the worst neighborhoods with one of the highest crime rates in the city. A block or two to the East and you are in a stark industrial area.

I will repeat: This is not "old information". This is VERY CURRENT.

Wrong, Scott...That advice is VERY current...

But, for an overall tourist destination, I still would NOT recommend it. Most activities require leaving this area. Other parts of the city are far more welcoming and more relaxing.

I will repeat: This is not "old information". This is VERY CURRENT.

No Steve, VERY OLD. To think the only growth is near Staples is very, very old. Do you ever actually get to DTLA? You completely ignore hotels like the Ace, Tuck, NoMad, Standard, LA Athletic Club and more.

That you think DTLA is only vibrant when there is an event at Staples tells me you spend zero time in DTLA. Since 2000 over 30,000 new residential units have come into DTLA, 10,000 more are in current construction, 12,000 more have been approved. That is happening because DTLA has the restaurants, attractions, transportation, etc that people want.

For a tourist without a car they have access to the Metro for trips to Hollywood, Santa Monica, Pasadena, Koreatown; access to Amtrak/Metrolink to Anaheim, San Diego, Santa Barbara, etc. It is a much nicer area than Hollywood and more central than Santa Monica.

Whether or not tourists choose DTLA (or should) depends on what sights they want to see, what their budget is and what their transportations needs are.

So yes, VERY OLD, OUTDATED advice. Get out of Large Gourd, CA more often.

Nightlife and eating are not high on our to do list. We just want to see the highlights of Los Angeles in the daylight. We are content with eating at the hotel restaurant. We might just bring dinner with us. We have over 100 nights to eat gourmet food on the ship. We are usually in bed by 9 pm. If we walk, it will be for the steps so it does not matter what we are walking by. After our stay, I might say we did it wrong. But, for now, I do believe we will be able to see what we want to see and will find plenty of food to keep our bellies full. My point, I have been assured by our hotel that if it is easier to stay at an airport hotel, you still have tours available with pick up at the hotel. We have been to LA numerous times - Anaheim, Newport Beach, Santa Monica, Long Beach - just never took the time to go to downtown or Hollywood, unless you count when we were in single digits.

Man oh man, if you think cruise food is "gourmet" you really need to try some good restaurants in LA.

https://la.eater.com/ is a good resource to find places in locations that will fit your eventual itinerary.

No Steve, VERY OLD. To think the only growth is near Staples is very, very old. Do you ever actually get to DTLA? You completely ignore hotels like the Ace, Tuck, NoMad, Standard, LA Athletic Club and more.

That you think DTLA is only vibrant when there is an event at Staples tells me you spend zero time in DTLA. Since 2000 over 30,000 new residential units have come into DTLA, 10,000 more are in current construction, 12,000 more have been approved. That is happening because DTLA has the restaurants, attractions, transportation, etc that people want.

For a tourist without a car they have access to the Metro for trips to Hollywood, Santa Monica, Pasadena, Koreatown; access to Amtrak/Metrolink to Anaheim, San Diego, Santa Barbara, etc. It is a much nicer area than Hollywood and more central than Santa Monica.

Whether or not tourists choose DTLA (or should) depends on what sights they want to see, what their budget is and what their transportations needs are.

So yes, VERY OLD, OUTDATED advice. Get out of Large Gourd, CA more often.

So, Scott, when are you moving to Downtown LA? I am sure that with the current vacancy rate of over 12% (over three times the city-wide average) and with all of those new units going in, you should have no problem finding yourself a great deal...

I have actually spent quite a bit of time in Downtown LA--maybe more than you. I have worked there and have handled many real estate transactions there. And I stand by my advice--I would NOT recommend staying in a hotel there as a tourist destination except for certain enumerated exceptions. Chinese investment money building several new high-rise condo projects does NOT make it a more attractive location for tourism.

Readers here can choose to listen to my advice...or they can listen to yours if they dare. Choice is up to them. But the question remains as to what they want from their visit to Los Angeles. Would they like to experience the beaches, the nice weather, the laid-back atmosphere and an area where they can comfortably walk around day and night? Or would they prefer a crowded urban area with lots of traffic and where they may be afraid to leave their hotel at night? You may be perfectly comfortable in Downtown LA...but I am guessing based on current knowledge and NOT on 10 or 15 years ago) that they might not be.

I am still guessing that most tourists who end up in Downtown LA hotels do so because they--or their non-LA based travel agents--just don't know or understand Los Angeles...and default--as they would in most major cities--to "Downtown". Los Angeles is very different from most major cities.

Man oh man, if you think cruise food is "gourmet" you really need to try some good restaurants in LA.

https://la.eater.com/ is a good resource to find places in locations that will fit your eventual itinerary.

Maybe you are cruising on the wrong cruise lines. Try Seabourn, Regent, SilverSeas, or Crystal.

So, Scott, when are you moving to Downtown LA? I am sure that with the current vacancy rate of over 12% (over three times the city-wide average) and with all of those new units going in, you should have no problem finding yourself a great deal...

Wow, you really do give old information. DTLA had a high vacancy rate in 2016-17 (12%) because over 8,000 new units came open in that time period alone. The rate has been cut in half to 6% percent this, but will probably go back up since there are so many new buildings going up in DTLA currently. You can read about it here and here.

I have actually spent quite a bit of time in Downtown LA--maybe more than you. I have worked there and have handled many real estate transactions there.

Doubtful. I've worked there, lived there, been going there my whole to my father's and grandfather's offices; my father was born in DTLA in 1930 and I still maintain an office in DTLA.

And I stand by my advice--I would NOT recommend staying in a hotel there as a tourist destination except for certain enumerated exceptions. Chinese investment money building several new high-rise condo projects does NOT make it a more attractive location for tourism.

No, the transportation options, central location, restaurant and entertainment scene and growing number of attractions are the reasons, not the hotels. The hotels are happening because of these reasons, not the other way round.

Readers here can choose to listen to my advice...or they can listen to yours if they dare. Choice is up to them.

Or they can go to TripAdvisor's Los Angeles Forum and ask the question. TripAvisor is the parent company of CruiseCritic.

But the question remains as to what they want from their visit to Los Angeles. Would they like to experience the beaches, the nice weather, the laid-back atmosphere and an area where they can comfortably walk around day and night? Or would they prefer a crowded urban area with lots of traffic and where they may be afraid to leave their hotel at night? You may be perfectly comfortable in Downtown LA...but I am guessing based on current knowledge and NOT on 10 or 15 years ago) that they might not be.

Knowing a person's budget, transportation situation, and planned itinerary are what should drive recommendations for where someone should stay, not personal preference for one area over another. If "Santa Monica" is the only answer then a great disservice is being done.

I am still guessing that most tourists who end up in Downtown LA hotels do so because they--or their non-LA based travel agents--just don't know or understand Los Angeles...and default--as they would in most major cities--to "Downtown". Los Angeles is very different from most major cities.

Or they went to TripAdvisor and got good advice after a conversation on budget, transportation situation, timing, persons traveling and planned itinerary.

The Reagan Library is 40 miles from Hollywood, Nixon Library is 43 miles from Hollywood; not a huge difference.

Traffic is easier going to The Reagan than to The Nixon. Been to or passed by both recently.

I’m a valley girl, but not a Valley Girl. [emoji6]

Best advice is to stay near where most of the wanted attractions are located.

I live in Southern California, 120 miles east of Los Angelas /LAX and even I would come to BruinSteve for advise for the Los Angelas area. You have the city of Los Angelas then you have Los Angelas County. You can spend a lot of time driving so take the advice given by those who know the area far better then myself.:) I think LAX to San Pedro and the cruise terminal if not a lot of traffic is at least 30 minutes driving.

Drive time in LA is relative. Relative to time, day, and crazy people. I was driving in LA once when a guy wanted to jump off the 101 overpass. So, an otherwise pretty decent time and day turned into a parking lot. Last month I was there for work when some guy drove 110 mph and crashed into a gas tanker truck. Resulted in a five mile back up that last six hours. It was great for the taco trucks, they just opened up for business in the fast lane. I tell people who want to visit LA and normally have no clue about how big it is and the traffic to have at least three alternate routes to anywhere you want to go. Then listen to the radio for sigalerts, use GPS/realtime traffic, and use a Ouiga board. The later seems to work the best.

Drive time in LA is relative. Relative to time, day, and crazy people. I was driving in LA once when a guy wanted to jump off the 101 overpass. So, an otherwise pretty decent time and day turned into a parking lot. Last month I was there for work when some guy drove 110 mph and crashed into a gas tanker truck. Resulted in a five mile back up that last six hours. It was great for the taco trucks, they just opened up for business in the fast lane. I tell people who want to visit LA and normally have no clue about how big it is and the traffic to have at least three alternate routes to anywhere you want to go. Then listen to the radio for sigalerts, use GPS/realtime traffic, and use a Ouiga board. The later seems to work the best.

We use the CHP site on my home page for traffic issues. ( cad.chp.gov.ca ) Many times there’s NO reason for traffic to be backed up, just too many on the road.

Our favorite story is having CHP between every lane of the 405 near the 10 looking for some bad guys.