Norwegain Airlines to Rome

jenniferop

Hello,

Has anyone flown on Norwegian air from the US (Newark) to Rome (or any other port)? I feel good about the pricing and reviews online - just checking if any of you have used the line? We are flying Bulkhead economy, there (night flight) and Premium cabin back (day flight). Any suggestions or thoughts? We leave end of September - too late to change but your experiences would be a good help in knowing what to expect.

We’re flying Norwegian from California to Barcelona and again from Rome to California in Sept. Hoping for some positive feedback.

I’ve heard they do bait and switches regarding their aircrafts, instead of Dreamliner they’re putting people on High Fly charters

We’ve paid for Premium Economy and I won’t be happy to end up on one of their charters that does not have Premium Econ.

I was curious about Norwegian and went over to FlyerTalk to see what the deal is.

Also, we knew this before booking, but they don’t have code share with other airlines.

Hello,

Has anyone flown on Norwegian air from the US (Newark) to Rome (or any other port)? I feel good about the pricing and reviews online - just checking if any of you have used the line? We are flying Bulkhead economy, there (night flight) and Premium cabin back (day flight). Any suggestions or thoughts? We leave end of September - too late to change but your experiences would be a good help in knowing what to expect.

we used Norwegian air in April for our transatlantic cruise NCL Epic Florida to Barcelona

we needed a one way flight from UK to Orlando and the major airlines were charging more for a one way than return/round trip!

we booked Norwegian for around £600 for premium-that flight was only about £100more than economy

I would recommend Premium for the extra leg room and foot rests which would be of more benefit on a night flight to enable sleep

food included in price but hardly Michelin star-but what airline food is?

at least the drinks trolley was efficient!

service on board not as good as major airlines but for the price?,,,,,

We did have a delay boarding due to late arrival of incoming flight-common with low cost airlines

also change of flight details about a month prior

same Dreamliner aircraft but flight about 6 hours earlier then listed which impacted our plans post flight

overall would consider them again

thanks everyone - last time I flew long haul it was on Delta and we slept the whole way...it's only 16 hours out of our whole 13 days in Europe so we will just have to bite the bullet, if it's horrible but I'm holding out for a good experience.

I did read an article by The Points Guy and he stated that the leasing of the Privilege Style 777's that Norwegian is using at the moment for long hauls, should be done by 9/14 and the Dreamliners should be back in operation. I asked Norwegian on their FB messenger app and the person that answered said that was the current plane but that texts and updates on the app would keep us notified about airplane changes. Crossing my fingers. Being on a boat and springing for a suite with a Butler this time around - should make any bumps getting there worth it:)

I’ve heard they do bait and switches regarding their aircrafts, instead of Dreamliner they’re putting people on High Fly charters

I wouldn't call it bait and switch. Norwegian, like numerous other airlines including Virgin Atlantic, are suffering from aircraft shortages due to the necessity of taking Dreamliners with Rolls Royce engines out of service, while repairs and upgrades to the engines are carried out.

Last year we flew on Norwegian (dreamliner) from US to Copenhagen for our cruise. The aircraft was comfortable but the service is very no frills. Also, the luggage weight allowance is 10 lbs less than for a regular airline. Payment needed for all luggage. We ended up purchasing a package that included a meal, ability to choose a seat, and a suitcase. I believe it was about $139 per person. And we ended up having to buy lighter luggage (both checked and carryon). So there wasn't too much savings by the end of this. However, it did fly non-stop to Copenhagen which was the selling point for us.

I wouldn't call it bait and switch. Norwegian, like numerous other airlines including Virgin Atlantic, are suffering from aircraft shortages due to the necessity of taking Dreamliners with Rolls Royce engines out of service, while repairs and upgrades to the engines are carried out.

Then they shouldn’t advertise the specific aircraft for a particular flight as being a Dreamliner, as is the case from our home airport, and then put people on a charter from Hi-Fly which has no premium econ like advertised on Norwegian’s own site , which touts 46 inches of recline. If we had paid for a regular seat, no problem, but we’ve paid a lot more for premium economy which they advertise as having a certain specification. The charters have 4 extra inches. That’s it. Completely different than what was advertised as PE. Otherwise we should have bought the cheapest tix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

Flew Norwegian from Newark to Rome this month. Night flight as well, was delayed leaving by about an hour, but still landed pretty close to schedule. I checked my reservation about a month before traveling, and they changed my families seats, and had us all separated. Luckily, they were able to fix it when I called, they said they had changed the plane, so had to move around seats. My advice is to just check a few weeks prior, so you have no surprises the day of travel.

Then they shouldn’t advertise the specific aircraft for a particular flight as being a Dreamliner, as is the case from our home airport, and then put people on a charter from Hi-Fly which has no premium econ like advertised on Norwegian’s own site , which touts 46 inches of recline. If we had paid for a regular seat, no problem, but we’ve paid a lot more for premium economy which they advertise as having a certain specification. The charters have 4 extra inches. That’s it. Completely different than what was advertised as PE. Otherwise we should have bought the cheapest tix.

I assume you would prefer if it can't be a 787, that they just cancel the flight, and leave you without a flight at the last minute? Norwegian doesn't interline with anyone, so it is very unlikely they would put you on another airline if the 787 isn't available.

When you fly, you are paying for the itinerary not a particular aircraft type. Airlines can and do switch aircraft all the time.

I assume you would prefer if it can't be a 787, that they just cancel the flight, and leave you without a flight at the last minute? Norwegian doesn't interline with anyone, so it is very unlikely they would put you on another airline if the 787 isn't available.

CruiserBruce, your assumption is incorrect. Now, be nice.

i've had mixed experiences on Norwegian. I primarily have flown it from JFK to London-Gatwick for work in the past. First time i did it they pushed my flight back 12 hours unexpetedly (luckily as the EU laws exist, any european flights that are delayed more than 3 hours you get compensated, I got about 400 Euro back). and sometimes the experience is just fine. I would get to the airport early, as its taken me hours to go through the check-in process when its busy. You really do get what you pay for when it comes to airlines.

We flew on a dreamliner from AMS to FLL in May. The experience was great. The attendants know who paid for dinners/meals and so serve only them, but others may purchase food if they wish while onboard. I knew the restrictions and services I was getting before I flew. It is clearly spelled out on their website.

• 2 weeks later...

You get what you pay for. Norwegian is the "no frills" airline that caused most of the other air carriers to drastically reduce their transatlantic fares in order to compete. I've flown Norwegian 7 or 8 times in the last two years. All but one of the trips was on-time. And all of them were $400 to $500 round-trip from the US west coast to Europe. Before Norwegian, I was generally paying $1000+ RT for the same flights to Scandinavia and the UK. It seems strange to me that people complain because the cheap fare they knowingly bought doesn't produce as elegant or comfortable a travel experience as they had on the more expensive air carriers

• 5 months later...

I would like to report back that we loved Norwegian Air, and we won’t hesitate to use the, again.  Everything was on time from Oakland to Barcelona, and again from Rome to Oakland, CA, a 12.5 hour flight. Loved the service, the food, and Premium Econ was very good.  

Thx for reporting back about your experience.  I'm booked on the OAK-BCN flight in Sept.

A few family members flew Norwegian last summer and were happy with the service. Can't beat the fare ! 

(I prefer Virgin Atlantic but this yr they're about $400 higher than Norwegian. )

Edited by mapleleaves