Concern about walking up to the Acropolis

nini

Please share your experiences with hiking up to the Acropolis!?

I am concerned about us being able to "hike" our way up

to the Acropolis! I have done much reading and research and wondering

if we can REALLY do this. We are healthy adults in our late 60's and fairly active (walk 2 miles

each day, work in the garden, etc). However, we are from the Northwest and used to a

mild climate.

We will be there mid- late October.

Thanks!

By mid-October it should not be brutally hot like in summer. If you can get there early, it's much better.

Here's a post I recently made in response to a similar question with some detail that might be helpful:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56542406&postcount=3

Nothing you've said above would make me think you can't do the walk. It's not really a hike. My mother managed it at 73 and in average shape for her age.

I will agree with cruisemom42. Based on how you describe yourself, you will be perfectly fine for the climb. There is plenty of time and space to do the climb at whatever relaxing pace you care to do it. I suspect you'll walk right up with minimal issues.

if we can REALLY do this. We are healthy adults in our late 60's and fairly active (walk 2 miles

each day, work in the garden, etc). However, we are from the Northwest and used to a

mild climate.

Thanks!

Everybody in our group had no issues. Most were in their late 60s. We all live where it’s hilly, however, and are accustomed to steepness.

We were all there in mid October in the AM. Perfect weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were there in August when it was hot..almost 100 degrees, and the 4 of us walked all over the Plaka and to the Acropolis in the early afternoon. We were in our 50s and 60s.

We are talking about going back. We loved it, and we will now be in our 60s and 70s.

Nina, we are on your cruise. We are taking a taxi from the ship to the disabled access area which is very near the main area. Look for my posts on the roll call and shoot me an e- mail. I will explain all the info I have sourced about the best way to get up and around if you are concerned about walking.

• Like 1

mild climate.

Thanks!

You should be fine .

• 1 month later...
Nina, we are on your cruise. We are taking a taxi from the ship to the disabled access area which is very near the main area. Look for my posts on the roll call and shoot me an e- mail. I will explain all the info I have sourced about the best way to get up and around if you are concerned about walking.

You may not be aware that only people in wheelchairs can use the small, rather rickety elevator. Once you get on top, using a wheelchair is not an option. I saw people with canes turned away from the elevator.

DSC_0151.jpgHere is a photo of part of the path up to the Acropolis. Hopefully it will give you a bit of an idea of the walk up. It winds around so it is not too steep, but there are a few stairs. I think you should be fine.

DSC_0145.jpg

Here is a photo of the stairs at the entrance to the actual Acropolis

Going in October, it should not be so crowded.. this photo was taken in mid-September.

DSC_0110.jpg

Be very careful with the very slippery and uneven marble at the top. I think this was the most treacherous of the walk. Even rubber soles were slipping. Enjoy- you will be glad you made the trip up.

3a416e00-3180-4477-a3e1-88bb621341af

Grandma, I have information directly from the Acropolis website, and also from my tour operator that one will require either a disabled parking placard or annote from your MD stating the nature of your disability and how it affects your ability to use the stairs. I have a Rollator that I may take when I go up in the elevator .My husband will accompany me.

Look at the first photo (post #13) above "entrance to the actual Acropolis" aka, Propylea. To the left of the photo, behind the large pillar, there is a set of stairs which are part of the scaffolding. They are normal height, regular stair steps that take you up to the base of the large central columns you see in the center of the picture (right where there is a man wearing a green shirt).

I think this whole issue is greatly exaggerated.

For the elevator, they use their judgment if they can see you have an impairment. On a previous visit, one of our friends had sprained his ankle during the trip and was wearing an ankle brace and a cane. No doctor notes, or anything. He was allowed on the elevator by the guard.

Look at this thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=35552019&highlight=elevator+obvious#post35552019

• 2 months later...

We were on the Oct 17th Celebrity Eclipse cruise. We did a small group tour of the Acropolis. Two people in our group did not make it in. One was afraid of heights so she dropped out. The other had a recent knee replacement and all the cruise walking had her knee barking at her.

Our Athens weather was overcast and around 70 degrees. It is a hike to get to the top but it was on a maintained ramp/fewer steps walkway. I didn't see anyone having problems. Once you get near the top, there are many steps to go up. But they were ok and I didn't see anyone having problems.

Once you get on top of the Acropolis, there are significant uneven rocky " paths". You really have to pay attention where you place your feet as there were more than a few ankle turning spots.

We were the first group into the Acropolis that day so we had the luxury of going everywhere with few people. As we were leaving, the place was packed with tourist. Many were 60+ tourists. Saw many with canes that did fine. There are no facilities/vendors in the Acropolis so make sure you take something to drink.

It was a big thrill to go there.Take your time and use common sense and you will have a great experience.

• 6 months later...

We just returned from Athens and climbing up to the Acropolis. We did it on June 22 and late afternoon around 99 degrees. Everyone in 60,s and  one 70. The key is to do it in stages,no need to rush yourself, as there are benches to rest and  take breaks along the way up.  Since the Acropolis and Parthenon are a once in a lifetime, omg moment, be smart about it and be determined and you will make it. Bring plenty of water, don’t eat a big breakfast or heavy lunches beforehand though, especially in dead of summer.  Just do It ,because being on the Acropolis is worth every step and climb.  I have Keen walking shoes and they did great with some of the slippery paths. So an excellent pair of sneakers or walking shoes that grip well is essential. 

Edited by Moxiefurball

We also just returned and used PK Travel for our private group tour. We got to the Acropolis early making it our first stop to avoid the crowds. We're active healthy and in our early 70's and had no problem at all. Our Skecher's GoWalk slip on shoes worked well for us not only there but have also walked all over Europe and Asia.

Edited by Ashland