Malaga Question

BeignetBoy

We are booked on SDII for the Westbound TA from Malaga this October, and we are beginning to plan specifics for the trip.

While in Malaga, we would like to take a side trip to Granada to see Alhambra. We would want a private guide, and I am not comfortable renting a car and driving up. This is an option for a Viator Guide to pick us up in Malaga, conduct the tour, and then return. However, the cost is almost $1000. I know that we can hire a private guide for a tour of Alhambra only for much less. Does anyone have any experience of hiring a taxi in Malaga to conduct a round trip to Granada? And any idea of the cost? Other suggestions?

Any suggestions for a hotel near the Cruise Terminal in Malaga? I know that someone posted favorably about a Hotel Room Mate Valeria. On other trips to Malaga, we stated at Barcelo over the train station, and while it was very nice, we are looking for other suggestons.

Thanks

Edited by BeignetBoy
New Information

No suggestions on your inquiries as we have never stayed overnight in Malaga before this trip.

But wanted to mention we are also booked on this trip and looking forward to it immensely.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just in Malaga last week, the 3rd visit in the past year and a half and must admit that the city's charms are lost on me.

I did overnight at hotel Illunion, near the water front and a walk from the train station.It's a perfectly fine conference hotel, but wouldn't be a highlight sort of place.

Last week i was on a cruise with a friend who'd never visited Grenada so we joined a small group 8 of us @ 150Euro each, so your pricing is pretty much deadon.

While the Alhambra is an amazing place--and Grenada a terrific little city-- I'd suggest you reconsider the quick visit for the following reasons:

• It is packed to the gills with tourists--when you're on a day trip there's no avoiding the crowds and lots of pushing.
  • While the architecture is impressive, so much of it is outdoors related that Fall isn't so great a time to visit--blossoms and fragrances really make the visit.
  • It is so large that on the day trip you will have spent a great deal and experienced only a little.

What I'd suggest instead:

Visit the Great Mosque/Cathedral in Cordoba instead.Cordoba is 2 hours by highspeed train from Malaga. The train is quite affordable and the first class compartment very comfy. While you can use a guide, one is not required to enjoy the Mosque/Cathedral--and over the course of day you can really get a feel for it, including how it changes as the light changes over a matter of hours.In addition, the historical center of Cordoba is a delightful place to spend a day.

Another not so humble suggestion would be that you consider overnighting either in Cordoba or even 1 hour further up the train-tracks in Madrid. If it hasn't yet been closed for renovations, the Ritz Madrid is a fantastic grand old hotel and is next door to the Prado. For the $1000 day trip to the Alhambra you could have a night @ the Ritz, dinner, one of the grandest collections of art anywhere in the world at your front door, and a pleasant 3 hour train trip to Malaga.

I apologize for making this both lengthy and not fully on your topic, but if you're interested in either Cordoba or making the most of a quick visit to Madrid, let me know.

db

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...