Transporting Battery Charger for Mobility Scooter

Just bought a mobility scooter and am booked on our first cruise since needing this for assistance in getting around. I am curious as to the best way to transport the scooter's battery charger. I would imagine that leaving it with the scooter when boarding a plane would greatly increase it getting lost or misplaced. Is it best to put it in my checked luggage?

I usually put mine in my checked bag.

Of course a few years ago I left mine at home. One of the advantages of leaving early and having a few days in Florida, I had time to order a new one. So now one is in my car and the other in my suitcase. Wish I had bought a spare earlier, could have avoided that panic - where can I get one of these??

Hi,

I have a back pack for my scooter which fits easily on the back of the seat, I put the charger in this plus any other items I need for it. This means that it doesn't impact on space or weight of luggage (or even trying to explain why my case is overweight). The backpack also has a space to put my stick so I find it very handy.

Forgot to add - you mostly ride your scooter to the plane and it is loaded on so loosing any item in the backpack is minimal.

Edited by Enforcer
Forgot to add

I also carry my charger with me in my hand luggage. I have been known to put some miles on my scooter getting to the airport or going from the airport, thus I usually charge it while waiting for my flight.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

We have been traveling for MANY years with a mobility scooter and we have traveled all over the world. ALWAYS carry it with you on the plane.

We use a backpack and carry an "extra battery" and the charger on the plane. Never had a problem with carrying it even if it is heavy. Flight attendants help us lift it up to the overhead bins.

We would never put it in our checked baggage...….It is essential for us to have the charger....

Does that count as one of your carry on's?

They shouldn't as they are part of disabled equipment, the problem is if they add up to over 60kg with the weight of the scooter, most airlines will allow a bit of leeway with this but just to be forewarned.

The scooter does not come onboard Nd the battery and charger weigh less than 10 lbs so it would never be over 60 kg

Hi,

For clarification, the scooter and an additional battery will be loaded into the hold or the scooter will be loaded into the hold and an additional battery/charger is taken on board, the total weight in either case should not exceed 60kg.

Hope this helps

Pete

When you get to the gate at the airport, be sure to check in with the gate agent, as they need to tag your scooter. The agent will ask questions such a weight, battery type (lithium (Li-ion)or sealed lead acid (SLA)) and if Li-ion they will expect that you will be taking the battery on board with you. I'd suggest purchasing a battery bag similar to this on Amazon: http://a.co/bxe78cO as it will keep the battery safe. (SLA batteries, I'm not sure if the rules are the same, as my scooter is Li-ion) Thankfully, you'll get priority boarding which will give you time to take out the battery and secure your scooter.

• 2 weeks later...
I always put mine in my hand luggage along with my medication. I would never take the risk of something so vital getting lost

Likewise. That's part of your 'medically necessary' luggage (no extra charges) which should always be kept with you. Along with your meds, it should never be checked in as baggage! Ever heard of, 'lost luggage'?

Keep it with you and don't let the airlines try to charge you extra for it. Do keep all 'medical items" separate though.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, Need some input from those that have traveled with their scooter We are taking a transatlantic cruise the end of September so we will be flying to NY on United and then from NY to Copenhagen we will be on SAS. My father is concerned about damage to his scooter if he brings it on the plane. He is worried that they will just toss it in the compartment and it will come out a mess. His scooter is the Lexus Lite and folds down like a stroller and weighs 54 lbs. the scooter website says it can be taken on as carry on luggage but I don't see the airlines allowing this LOL. Would love to hear from those that fly with their scooters on how they are handled.

Hi Flacaigs 5 I have flown many times with my scooter, mine is a pride go go travel elite, which does not fold but will break down into 4 parts for putting in a car. I have always ridden my scooter right to the gate and they have just pushed it up into the aircraft. (just make sure they knock it out of drive so not to damage it when they push it) I have flown on Europe's budget airlines and transatlantic to New york, Las Vegas and San Francisco all without problems. There are three advantages of taking your scooter all the way to the gate. 1. you can get a round the airport. 2. less chance of it getting damaged, 3. and most important you know it's on the same aircraft you are!!!

I am flying from Manchester UK to Miami next spring and will have to change aircraft in Atlanta, I am a bit worried that my scooter will not be transferred onto the correct aircraft as they may insist I use one of their wheelchairs while we are in the airport. If anyone can put my mind at rest I would be very grateful.

Hi Flacaigs 5 I have flown many times with my scooter, mine is a pride go go travel elite, which does not fold but will break down into 4 parts for putting in a car. I have always ridden my scooter right to the gate and they have just pushed it up into the aircraft. (just make sure they knock it out of drive so not to damage it when they push it) I have flown on Europe's budget airlines and transatlantic to New york, Las Vegas and San Francisco all without problems. There are three advantages of taking your scooter all the way to the gate. 1. you can get a round the airport. 2. less chance of it getting damaged, 3. and most important you know it's on the same aircraft you are!!!

I am flying from Manchester UK to Miami next spring and will have to change aircraft in Atlanta, I am a bit worried that my scooter will not be transferred onto the correct aircraft as they may insist I use one of their wheelchairs while we are in the airport. If anyone can put my mind at rest I would be very grateful.

Thank you for the response. Yes we too will be switching planes and airlines in NY before we catch our connecting flight to Copenhagen

I am confused? When you say you "drive it to the gate and they push it up into the aircraft" do you mean the jetway i.e., the door of the plane where strollers get left etc.?

I do that all the time and when we have to change planes in airports I drive my scooter to the next gate etc. and they take it and put it down below the plane with the luggage etc. Never had any problems.

Hi Mexico 8, Thanks for your reply, My concern about changing flights is because I have always flown direct before. At both JFK New York and at Manchester Uk I have been collected from the aircraft by wheelchair and not got my scooter back until the luggage collection area, that is why I was concerned that I might not get my scooter back in Atlanta and it might be transferred straight to the next flight as it would be at Manchester. Hopefully I will get it back at the jetway then there will be no problem. All airports seem to have different rules and regulations.

Hi Mexico 8, Thanks for your reply, My concern about changing flights is because I have always flown direct before. At both JFK New York and at Manchester Uk I have been collected from the aircraft by wheelchair and not got my scooter back until the luggage collection area, that is why I was concerned that I might not get my scooter back in Atlanta and it might be transferred straight to the next flight as it would be at Manchester. Hopefully I will get it back at the jetway then there will be no problem. All airports seem to have different rules and regulations.

You are welcome. When you check in at your first departure airport just make it clear to the person at the counter that you want to bring your scooter right to the door of the plane and have it when you arrive at your destination. Then you drive it to the next gate and do the same thing at that door of the plane. Make sure the counter person puts the proper tag on your scooter. Have a good trip.

You are welcome. When you check in at your first departure airport just make it clear to the person at the counter that you want to bring your scooter right to the door of the plane and have it when you arrive at your destination. Then you drive it to the next gate and do the same thing at that door of the plane. Make sure the counter person puts the proper tag on your scooter. Have a good trip.

Thank you