December 20 Caribbean Cruise - RT from San Juan

NiceAunt

Hi, looking for anyone who may have traveled on this cruise in the past. I am a single female, late 50s. Don’t mind traveling alone. This particular cruise is very attractive to me - all ports that I have been to in past or would like to go to. The dates work perfectly as my intent is to be away for Christmas.

A few friends who have been on SD cruises before have told me that it’s mainly couples and very few solo travelers. I don’t mind that, I am very friendly and outgoing. They still seem to feel that most couples are going to want to hang out with other couples and not have a third or a fifth wheel hanging around. I certainly wouldn’t just latch onto a couple for the entire time but it will be nice to have someone to eat a meal with a few times during the cruise. I like the small ship with 110 passengers versus ship with thousands of passengers, so would expect to have a small amount of solo travelers.

Anyone care to share thoughts on this? Since I will have to pay 175% fair due to being single I want to make sure I could be prepared for spending the entire time completely alone.

I know my husband and I have hung out with solo travelers before, but it seems like the mood of every cruise is different. Sometimes it's not just couples, either, because there are times when large groups book. I know at least a couple of times, there have been family groups cruising with us. You could run into other singles in that case.

One of the things DW and I enjoy about SD is the opportunity to meet other people. We often seek out dinner companions and welcome invitations from others who want to enjoy our company. Among things that do not matter to us are age, race, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, or (sometimes) political beliefs. So your solo status would not be a factor to us. At home, we regularly socialize with singles, so there should be no reason we wouldn't at sea.

Do bear in mind that the Christmas cruise is often filled with families, but that could also mean that someone wants to break away from the clan for a meal or two. In the many cruises we have done with SD, I can't say we have seen more than a couple of solo travelers. I suspect the surcharge is the primary reason for that. But if the cost is not a deterrent, I say go for it. Our favorite activity is lying on deck or at the beach with a book and a cold drink. It seems very popular with others as well, and you don't need a companion to enjoy that.

• 2 weeks later...

No worries. The crew will know you are solo and will take care of you. They will arrange tables ahead of time for you and find out who would like company. All you have to do is let the maitre d know what you’d like when you board. I have no reservations about SeaDreaming solo. In fact, I would love that!