Lyme Disease

shorti503

My sister-in-law has chronic Lyme Disease. When she was finally diagnosed not quite a year ago it was discovered she has had it for almost 10 years, so some of her symptoms can be very severe. We have a cruise booked for January 2019 and she is now thinking she may need to back out. This is her first cruise and is super excited but more than that she is super nervous that between the movement of the ship, the food, and just the busy days that she will end up spending most of the cruise in her bed. I have searched the boards and haven't really found anything one way or another. Is there anyone on here with Lyme disease and how has it affected your cruising? I would like to be able to give her some information one way or another so she can either make an informed decision or be more relaxed with the unknown. Thank you.

I do not have lyme disease but do have several chronic conditions including mobility problems and unpredictable presentation of pain and fatigue....i love cruising despite having to compromise some of the time...i eat many of the same foods i do at home....modern ships are prety stable most of the time and i rent a scooter delivered to my cabin to be as independent as possible...usually cruise with husband and extended family who are very helpful and accepting when i decide to park myself on the deck or in my comfotable cabin while they do more active things....i would encourage her to go and try it out....you cant beat cruising for some high quality family time and relaxation....you can do as much or as little as you want....she'll need any extra meds that are helpful on tough days....the infirmary is readily available and modern....i bet she'll have a great week!!

I suspect that only you (or she) can answer that question because her symptoms are personal to her. I do have a very good friend with Lyme disease - it went undiagnosed for years so she has some serious issues. She cruises at least two times a year with her family. I think like with any disease or chronic illness (my sister has MS), you do what you can and try to enjoy the rest.

You mentioned a couple of things she's nervous about. Unless you're going through a storm, generally movement is minimal. What about the food is she concerned about? Is she on a special diet? You can make special arrangements through the Special Needs department.

Suggest she have a conversation with her doctor.

I do not have lyme disease but do have several chronic conditions including mobility problems and unpredictable presentation of pain and fatigue....i love cruising despite having to compromise some of the time...i eat many of the same foods i do at home....modern ships are prety stable most of the time and i rent a scooter delivered to my cabin to be as independent as possible...usually cruise with husband and extended family who are very helpful and accepting when i decide to park myself on the deck or in my comfotable cabin while they do more active things....i would encourage her to go and try it out....you cant beat cruising for some high quality family time and relaxation....you can do as much or as little as you want....she'll need any extra meds that are helpful on tough days....the infirmary is readily available and modern....i bet she'll have a great week!!

I too have chronic mobility problems. I usually do not know if I will be on the cruise until a day before.I endeavor to do as much as I can while I am still able to.