Docking Times and Free time in Ports

HootieTootie

We were on a Viking river cruise for 23 days (Bucharest to Amersterdam) in May 2018. Docking times are approximate. Free time in each port depends on the excursions you choose. If you limit yourself to the included tour, then there will probably be several hours of unstructured time. However, the included tour may stop at a remote dock, and the included tour takes up all your time. For example in Kindersdyck, Holland, there was very little free time and the dock is out in the country.

Sometimes, we felt there was TOO much free time. After a walking tour of a river town, we'd be turned loose for a couple or three hours. Some towns just didn't have enough to do for that length of time. But, a couple of times we would have liked more time.

We enjoyed finding a sidewalk cafe, sipping a beer, and watching the world go by.

Why does Viking River Cruises list there docking times? Do you have plenty of free time in each port?

Doesn't your second question answer your first question? River cruise companies at least try to give you an idea of how long you'll be in port (things can and do change, up to the last minute) so you can try to plan your schedule.....

Doesn't your second question answer your first question? River cruise companies at least try to give you an idea of how long you'll be in port (things can and do change, up to the last minute) so you can try to plan your schedule.....

And some people do like to book private tours and would like to know how much time they have in each port.

And some people do like to book private tours and would like to know how much time they have in each port.

Well, in my mind that's covered under "plan my schedule" ;p- I want to know how much time I have to do whatever it is I want to do....

from my understanding, river cruises have a bit more unpredictable docki times than do ocean cruises, this may make scheduling private tours a bit more of a risk or challenge.... river tours generally tell you the details of the following day on the night before and things tend to be “in the morning” or “in the afternoon” because river traffic, dock availability and the line up for river lock appointments can cause some u predictability which makes exact times possible.

if i were to book a private tour i would book it for a morning but have the tour provider on call for when i arrive at the dock, and then plan to have my return before the boat departs if it is only a single-day docking.

definitely more logistics to a river cruise i think with so many external factors affecting timing.