Baggage charges for first and second bag for international flights

Moxiefurball

Like just about everything in today's air travel, it completely depends on the carrier and their own specific rules. And even within an airline, there can be varying rules depending on the routing/cities involved. Which means you need to do you own specific research.

If you think UA is bad, there are other carriers across the Atlantic that charge for the first bag. So make assumptions at your own risk.

Caveat emptor.

There are also programs that will result in fees being waved.

Frequent flyers (who travel a lot with a specific airline) may have the fees for the first, second or third bag waved. Certain credit cards have free baggage on a sponsoring airline as a benefit.

Are these charges basically the same across the board or does it vary considerably based on airline.

Let’s just talk economy.

United is 0 for first 50 pound and $100 for second .. Ouch

We've found the same for American, United, and Delta in the past few years. That's why we only pack one bag each. :(

Which way you going? Most Asian airlines to/from the Americas still allow 2 pieces up to 50 pounds each free. But some have a weight limit on carry-ons and will weigh them at check-in (I'm looking at you CX:mad:).

Are these charges basically the same across the board or does it vary considerably based on airline.

Let’s just talk economy.

On a one week to 10 day trip, 50lbs is easy to pack. On 14 day trip, it gets a little tough but still doable. Remember, you have you luggage at 50lb, a carry on bag, and a back-pack. So you really have about 75-80lbs for free.

If you need more than that, then you are overpacking!

There are lots of YouTube videos on how to pack more efficently and they've helped me greatly. I used to bring 8 pairs of shoes with me - now I only bring 3!

We went on a 15 Day cruise with one suitcase each and just one carry-on (an actual carry on that fits the dimensions required - not the monstrosities that people seem to get away with LOL).

To be fair our cruise line (Oceania) had free laundry facilities and it worked out great!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Forums mobile app

Let’s just talk economy.

Flying to England/Europe....United started this about 6 years ago and most other domestic airlines followed suit.

The positive...your air fare is most likely much cheaper than it would have been 5 years ago.

Yikes. Take 1 bag. Huge benefits also with you being able to handle it. Do laundry - it greatly cuts down on bulk. And so what if you're re wearing clothes :)

I have no sympathy for the charges, when I hear= : " but I've got to take 2 bags I'm gone 3 weeks." I'm gone over a month every time, I go to Europe, 7 weeks my spring trip and managed just fine with a 25" bag.

(and I get 2 free bags on all my flights, except for the rare short transits )

There are lots of YouTube videos on how to pack more efficently and they've helped me greatly. I used to bring 8 pairs of shoes with me - now I only bring 3!
I have no sympathy for the charges, when I hear= : " but I've got to take 2 bags I'm gone 3 weeks." I'm gone over a month every time, I go to Europe, 7 weeks my spring trip and managed just fine with a 25" bag.
The main thing is to remember that you're going travelling, not moving house. Taking 8 pairs of shoes on holiday is firmly in the "moving house" category of packing.

For our next trip, our free baggage allowance is 4 bags, each up to 32 kg (70 lbs). Per person. One day, one day, I might just try to put that to the test. But not this time.

Our experience is that it very much depends on the route and the airline.

We only travel with carry on now but all of the trans Altantic and trans Pacific airlines that we have flown include at least on checked bag gratis.

Flights within Europe, Asia tend to depend on the airlines. The discounters certainly do not.

you have you luggage at 50lb, a carry on bag, and a back-pack. So you really have about 75-80lbs for free.

If you need more than that, then you are overpacking!

Personally, I think that if you are checking a larger bag and still need to take a carry-on size suitcase you are already overpacking. :)

Personally, I think that if you are checking a larger bag and still need to take a carry-on size suitcase you are already overpacking. :)

What is over packing for one person is the bare necessities for another. What I require for a week or 2 in the sun will be very different from an extended cruise that includes formal nights. You do what works for you. I'll do what works for me.

Our next trans Atlantic flight includes 2 free checked bags each. We will check 3 and bring a carryon size suitcase on board which will contain the valuable items we don't want checked. All of our other transoceanic flights have allowed one checked bag each, as well as a carryon and a personal item.

But with the advent of discount airlines, and basic economy fares on some legacy airlines, things changed. They attract customers with low fares, then nail them with fees for checked bags and decrease the allowable sizes for carryons (requiring the unwary to check their carryons). It's essential that everyone checks the baggage allowances for each fare before committing themselves to their ticket.

What is over packing for one person is the bare necessities for another. What I require for a week or 2 in the sun will be very different from an extended cruise that includes formal nights. You do what works for you. I'll do what works for me.

Our next trans Atlantic flight includes 2 free checked bags each.

Well, that's why I prefaced my statement saying "Personally, I think....." and added a smiley face emoticon. It is my opinion, and I am not emphatically trying to force anyone change their ways, but as a general rule Americans pack a LOT, and a very common theme seems to be, "how can I cut down on what I pack." If you're happy packing two suitcases, have at it.

Just as a point of interest though, my desire to travel with only one bag has nothing to do with bag fees. With airline status and fare class, I can generally check three bags for free, and they can also be overweight up to 70lbs each. I still prefer to travel with one bag and it is rarely over 40lbs.

My wife's childhood friend needs at least a large suitcase and a half for a week, it seems. By contrast, my wife and I can each get by with a smallish bag. We've been on weeks-long trips, including safaris, where the transport people who met us asked us where our bags were (we had them all with us) and were rather astonished when we told them that's all we had. The term "baggage train" still applies to some.